i dared to boost! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2007, 08:54 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

i dared to boost!

but only in fifth gear.

man, it's good to have her back on the road. 750 miles on this trans and it's still together. well, 750 in this car and no, i won't boost in first, second or third because the shifter starts to vibrate horribly once over 4psi

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Wow, good and bad news, alll in one!
Old 06-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
empty your ashtray!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 PM   #4

i realize now that i really could not even begin to check out the trans while it was in the donor car.

the fuel pump in that car was dying.
cylinder #3 had zero, yes, zero compression.
but, well, atleast is shifts smoothly
Old 06-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
sounds like ya might have a worn inner driver.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spgproject View Post
empty your ashtray!
yeah... i didn't even notice that was open until after i uploaded the pics and even then, not until after i had posted the pics
Old 06-12-2007, 09:04 PM   #7

i was thinking that, possibly i do... but fourth and fifth gear seem fine
Old 06-12-2007, 09:07 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Saaboy Send a message via MSN to Saaboy
Haha you need that ashtray... Want mine as an extra?

I put the wheels on my car and it looks kinda funky. I'll post pics...
Old 06-13-2007, 06:12 AM   #9
Elder

Looks like your SRS light is on, that funny because you don't have an airbag.

Am guessing its from your donor car.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to saabsbreakdown
are all your motor mounts in good order?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Car 178 - 1975 Saab 99 EMS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:21 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

Hey, I'm just glad that you use your ashtray instead of flicking the butts out the window... much respeck yo!

Good luck in sorting out the prob.

'99 9-3 'Vert - Imola Red
Old 06-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsbreakdown View Post
are all your motor mounts in good order?
the front mount is a new 'solid' style mount, the rear two are both used solid style out of the '86.

i am starting to think that maybe it is the drivers. the pass. side driver on the '86 trans is the original, though the driver's side is from the spare trans in my garage, which came out of my '92 after i seized the trans. that driver has a supposed 218k miles on it, so i am starting to think that maybe, just maybe, it is a little worn and therefore causing the vibration that i am feeling.

the vibration certainly is at it's worst in third gear, not so bad in fourth, but now that i am looking for it, i do feel it some in fifth gear as well. it would make sense that i feel the vibration most in third, espcially in the shifter, due to not only the gear ratios but also the location of the shift rod. in third, the rod is out of the trans as compared to in fourth the rod is in the trans. it works like a lever, creating a feel of far more vibration.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #13
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xassh View Post
the front mount is a new 'solid' style mount, the rear two are both used solid style out of the '86.

i am starting to think that maybe it is the drivers. the pass. side driver on the '86 trans is the original, though the driver's side is from the spare trans in my garage, which came out of my '92 after i seized the trans. that driver has a supposed 218k miles on it, so i am starting to think that maybe, just maybe, it is a little worn and therefore causing the vibration that i am feeling.

the vibration certainly is at it's worst in third gear, not so bad in fourth, but now that i am looking for it, i do feel it some in fifth gear as well. it would make sense that i feel the vibration most in third, espcially in the shifter, due to not only the gear ratios but also the location of the shift rod. in third, the rod is out of the trans as compared to in fourth the rod is in the trans. it works like a lever, creating a feel of far more vibration.
I wish I could feel what your talking about. I don't think its the inner drivers if it happens under power. Drivers and CV joints only make noise during transition.

Does the steering wheel give any feedback?

Old 06-13-2007, 05:54 PM   #14

no inner drivers will vibrate at most when they are under load.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsbreakdown View Post
I wish I could feel what your talking about. I don't think its the inner drivers if it happens under power. Drivers and CV joints only make noise during transition.

Does the steering wheel give any feedback?
the car certainly does not pull one way or the other when under load. i will have to take her for a quick spin, check for vibration in the wheel. as i recall, the problem felt like it was most pronounced in the shift lever, it seems to originate there, then as it gets worse (ie., more boost) the entire car gets the shakes.

the ride is steady and smooth at idle.

hrmm... the stock turbo can be expected to be spinning how fast when putting out, say, 10 psi? pretty quick. the turbo felt smooth most of the way around a single rotation when spun by hand, then it hits a hard spot, where i had to twist a bit with my fingers.

i am starting to think that maybe the trans is fine, maybe the drivers are fine. it is something that is turning in excess of 10k rpm causing the problem. the vibration does seem to be more directly associated with boost than it does with vehicle speed. the problem being most pronounced in third may just have me looking in the wrong area.

the mileage on this turbo? hehe.
303,404 when turbo/engine/trans were pulled out of my ol' black '92 c900
the turbo in my current, green c900 went at about 212k on the clock and this one went in.
that trans went at about 218k, so add ~6k to that and its about 306-307k miles.
218k - 273.7k on the clock then transmission dies.
i figure i have about 360k+ miles on this turbo. it was red boxed to 18-19 psi at around 255k. it gets kinda hot here, i don't doubt that turbo is out of balance
Old 06-13-2007, 06:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPG-GASM View Post
no inner drivers will vibrate at most when they are under load.
yes, but wouldn't the wheel speed also affect this?

still, the vibration seems most pronounced in third.

i will go test drive and report back. i need to go to the store anyway, i'll take the scenic route
Old 06-13-2007, 06:58 PM   #17
JK
Elder

I had major vibrations in a car I brought back to life once. It was only under hard acceleration, and typically only in 3rd and 4th gear.

The problem: worn inner driver on the passenger side. Replaced it and the car ran great, no shimmy even when balls out FWOT in 3rd and 4th.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:25 PM   #18
Elder

Okay so maybe I've never had an inner driver problem. Haha.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:48 PM   #19

first gear = no problem

second gear = no problem noted from closed throttle to 10 psi

third gear no problem with cracked throttle, vibration starts around '0' on the pressure gauge, working its way up to a bad vibration with 10psi on the manifold, felt in the shifter, gas pedal/floorboard and the seat of my pants. there is absolutely no feedback thru the steering wheel.

fourth gear, no vibration with throttle cracked thru '0' on pressure gauge. minor vibration noted around 4-5psi, getting slightly worse up at 10psi. not nearly so notable in the shifter, but still felt thru the gas pedal/floorboard and the seat of my pants.

fifth gear, no vibration with throttle cracked up to '0' on pressure gauge. vibration noticed around 5psi, getting slightly worse at 10psi, though notably higher in frequency, the vibration is not nearly so severe in fifth as it was in third. none felt in the shifter at all, was notable thru the gas pedal/floorboard and seat of my pants.

i am thinking now, turbo and or, inner drivers. these axles were both rebuilt and have about 60k miles on them. driver's side inner driver cup has 218k miles on it and pass. side inner driver cup has, hrmm, i cant recall what was on the clock of the donor car when the trans came out. i think it was around 140k-150k. maybe i have that speedo in the garage. will check tomorrow mebbe.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:25 AM   #20
Elder

its not the turbo.. there is no way. it would disintigrate before it caused enough vibration to move your shifter violently

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in