1987 900 Turbo Convertible - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

1987 900 Turbo Convertible

I'm the owner of a C900 convertible again!

97k miles. Perfect paint and pretty decent interior. Radio works but is always on with the ignition on. AC works intermittently - the clutch is slipping and making a shrill sound. Car shifts well but may need a clutch soon? Top works perfectly and it comes with a matching parade boot. Engine purrs and exhaust is quiet but car stuck in base boost. I love the color. I am super pumped.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Jun 26, 5 55 07 PM.jpg (433.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Jun 26, 5 55 16 PM.jpg (426.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Jun 26, 5 54 16 PM.jpg (425.6 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Jun 26, 5 54 28 PM.jpg (422.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Jun 26, 5 54 59 PM.jpg (396.3 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Jun 26, 5 54 56 PM.jpg (382.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Jun 26, 5 58 33 PM.jpg (404.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Jun 26, 5 58 31 PM.jpg (398.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Jun 26, 5 58 15 PM.jpg (399.9 KB, 16 views)
1993 900 Commemorative Edition #50
1995 9000 Aero - Stage 3
1996 900 troll
2002 9-3 Viggen vert - Stage 4
2004 9-5 Aero Wagon

Last edited by Daven; 09-20-2018 at 02:30 PM. Reason: photos failed to upload
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2018, 02:26 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Excellent!

Still can't see your photos, though, just blank space after your last sentence.
02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-20-2018, 07:00 PM   #3
SAAB Road Master

Fixed it, sort of.
1995 9000 Aero - Stage 3
1996 900 troll
2004 9-5 Aero Wagon

Old 09-21-2018, 04:31 AM   #4
Elder

That looks beautiful!! I'm so excited that there is a new C900 thread lol!. It's been so long!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Jason

1986 Saab 900 Turbo & 1992 Saab 9000 Turbo
Old 09-21-2018, 05:03 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Really nice, that thing looks great!
Old 09-21-2018, 05:56 AM   #6

Gorgeous, looks amazingly clean. Good score!
02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 09-21-2018, 06:10 AM   #7

Beautiful car! Where did you find such a clean example in New York? I also just purchased a red 91 vert, but she's in storage until May.

Just noticed that pin-striping...kinda weird. You gonna remove it?
Old 09-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Very nice!
Old 10-09-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
SAAB Road Master

Thanks

Thanks for the compliments guys. Iím really happy with the car. Familiarizing myself with the looks, feels, sounds and smells of an old car is one of my all time favorite experiences.

This car was owned by an older couple who didnít drive it much, but based on the condition, it is clear they cared for it a great deal. For the duration of their ownership, the car was serviced at La Duca Auto Service in Pleasantville, NY, just off the Sawmill Parkway. This is the same La Duca that was previously located in Chappaqua, NY, owned by a fine fellow named Vincent. When the owners decided to sell, they just left it on the lot and had Vincent list it on Craigslist.

At the time I spotted the listing, I was actually headed to Albany to look at a 130k mike 1991 900 SE that needed work. How much work, I thought I had a good idea, but would later find that I was WAY off! Thereís no reward without risk when youíre looking for that Diamond In the Rough, super deal. Truth be told, Iím still haunted by the opportunity I missed when Verne (VSFoxe?) sold his mint condition 201k mike Ď91 SE for $4,500 a couple years ago. I wasnít going to let another clean undervalued convertible pass me by again!

Anyway, back to the subject of the post. The listing (with no photos) had only been up two hours before I called Vincent and made plans to see it the next day. I thought for sure the car would sell before I got there, but the very next day, there it was in front of me, even prettier than Iíd imagined. It had a rust hole in the trunk but the underside was pretty clean where it matters. I had really been looking for a 1988-1991, but the condition, paint color and low miles were too good to pass up.

Couple issues have arisen since bringing her home:
1. Door window motors are terribly slow when almost fully up.
2. Radio stays on all the time - meaning antenna does too
3. Only right side speakers work - probably poor connection at the amp?
4. Central locking works intermittently
5. AC compressor clutch seized and started shredding belt - worked well until then though
6. Windshield wiper motor is almost completely dead.
7. Dash instrument lights burned out
8. Heat/cool knob very stiff and canít turn the full 90 degrees in either direction
9. Needs ball joints
10. Might need a clutch soon - release point is near the end of the pedal travel, but tranny shifts perfectly
11. Bluish grey oil smoke billows from tailpipe at idle once engine is fully warmed up - Turbo needs replacement or rebuild

Work done in the past few weeks:
1. Oil and filters changed
2. Transmission fluid change
3. Fixed instrument cluster bulbs
4. New battery
5. Installed cherry bomb in place of catalytic converter, which was original and too rusted to be reused.
6. Installed Rota RB 16x7 4x114.3 wheels with Sumitomo HTR HP AS 205/50/16 tires.
7. Installed a Red Box
8. Windshield wiper motor on order
9. Complete set of SPG panels on order

10. Looking for a set of SPG springs...

The turbo issue is especially disappointing because it prevents me from enjoying the car during my favorite convertible season. Looking for a good replacement turbo, if anyone has one...

I understand the T3 oil-cooled only turbochargers were on Ď85-Ď87 900s - Iím having a hard time finding one. Sure I could have mine rebuilt by Eriksson, but I donít want the car out of service. I have a few options:
1. Thereís a rebuilt oil-cooled only T3 on eBay right now but it says itís for a 9000; could I make it work?
2. Thereís a new TE05 on there as well; should I use that? Would I need hard lines specific to that turbo?
3. If anyone has a good one that fits, please let me know!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo Aug 15, 4 15 29 PM.jpg (418.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Aug 15, 4 54 08 PM.jpg (430.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Aug 17, 2 23 36 PM.jpg (421.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Photo Aug 17, 2 23 49 PM.jpg (423.0 KB, 11 views)
1995 9000 Aero - Stage 3
1996 900 troll
2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
Old 10-09-2018, 07:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven View Post

The turbo issue is especially disappointing because it prevents me from enjoying the car during my favorite convertible season. Looking for a good replacement turbo, if anyone has one...

I understand the T3 oil-cooled only turbochargers were on Ď85-Ď87 900s - Iím having a hard time finding one. Sure I could have mine rebuilt by Eriksson, but I donít want the car out of service. I have a few options:
1. Thereís a rebuilt oil-cooled only T3 on eBay right now but it says itís for a 9000; could I make it work?
2. Thereís a new TE05 on there as well; should I use that? Would I need hard lines specific to that turbo?
3. If anyone has a good one that fits, please let me know!
You can replace that T3 with a water cooled unit. That's what I am doing on my SPG. I have the old oil cooled unit sitting in the garage, but not sure when I'll be downstate again. Otherwise I would just give it to you.
Old 10-10-2018, 05:27 AM   #11

Looks excellent with those wheels!

Are those Shelbys or something aftermarket?

On your slow windows, do they work better with the doors open/top down? When I brought my 91 SE back from the dead the windows needed to be physically helped going up. I took the panels off and sprayed some lube on the mechanisms and now they go up fine even with the top up and doors closed.
02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 10-13-2018, 06:16 AM   #12
SAAB Road Master

The wheels are knock-off Shelbys, made by Rota. They’re on eBay and Amazon. A couple people on the forum have put them on their 900s in the past several years. I’ve heard a couple reports that they bend easily, but nothing I’ve seen leads me to question their quality. I ordered hub-centric rings separately, mounted and balanced the tires myself at my friends shop in Frenchtown, NJ and everything installed perfectly without clearance issues.

My friend in Cooperstown offered me the hubs and brakes off his 1990 900 for free, which i certainly would have taken him up on, if I had a day to pull the parts and a day to make the swap (2 year old and a 2 week old at home = no time for car therapy). I may do that in the future as a clean set of super Aeros might compliment the car better once it’s wearing a refurbished SPG kit.

I appreciate the tip on lining the window track and turbo compatibility.

I would be happy to pay shipping if the turbo is in good shape, includes wastegate and won’t require a rebuild soon. Why’d you switch it out?

In the turbo subject, what would I need to do to install a rebuilt Garrett T3 for a 9000 on a C900? There’s a bracket that would probably need to be removed and The wastegates are different. Reclocking a new turbo isn’t difficult, but the position of the wastegate actuator would seem to dictate the orientation of the intake and exhaust ports. Am I missing something else?
1995 9000 Aero - Stage 3
1996 900 troll
2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
Old 10-14-2018, 07:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven View Post

I appreciate the tip on lining the window track and turbo compatibility.

I would be happy to pay shipping if the turbo is in good shape, includes wastegate and wonít require a rebuild soon. Whyíd you switch it out?

In the turbo subject, what would I need to do to install a rebuilt Garrett T3 for a 9000 on a C900? Thereís a bracket that would probably need to be removed and The wastegates are different. Reclocking a new turbo isnít difficult, but the position of the wastegate actuator would seem to dictate the orientation of the intake and exhaust ports. Am I missing something else?
The oil cooled unit I have is the original turbo that came on my 87 SPG. I had the water cooled unit lying around, and it just seemed like a sensible upgrade to do while restoring the car. Although the turbo was working fine when I pulled it off, I have no idea what the overall condition is. I'll check for shaft play and take some photos this week.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #14
SAAB Road Master

Happy new year everyone. Not much to report on here.

Bought a Complete set of SPG panels and flares and will probably install this spring.

Bought a rebuilt oil-cooled only 9000 T3 turbo on eBay, which I re-clocked and installed with the old wastegate. It’s now running base boost so I need to adjust the WG, but that shouldn’t be too hard.

We’ve been lucky with the weather so far; only 1 snowfall in nyc this winter, so I’ve been able to enjoy the car a few times every week, but now it’s time for storage. I’ve got another project that has diverted my attention...
1995 9000 Aero - Stage 3
1996 900 troll
2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
Old 01-07-2019, 05:47 PM   #15

Good to hear some updates. Sorry I forgot to respond about that turbo I was going to give you. I did have a look at it, and it's got a bit of shaft play. I'd assume it could probably use a rebuild.

How much modification do the SPG panels need to fit a vert?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in