c900 coverage on Jalopnik - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-06-2017, 01:13 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

c900 coverage on Jalopnik

SAAB seems to be getting some airtime on Jalop recently: http://jalopnik.com/this-canadian-he...-so-1798536045
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2017, 01:36 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Claims he is making 400hp with L202. So far I haven't seen a single dyno proof that this engine made more than 250hp and I am around classic 900 for 25 years now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-06-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
the interwebz love to inflate dyno numbers, Sadly, from experience i know how much little things like weak coils, or boost leaks, or poorly set timing can ruin horsepower. And these are things owners of cars will never admit too

Old 09-07-2017, 06:04 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Agree, I'm not opining on the validity of the claims. Just a little airtime for the brand that you don't see much anymore.

I've got to agree with the author and commenters, you've got to be a little crazy to put all this money and effort into c900s. As much as I loved mine, it drives like poop with a lot of horsepower and you always fear for your transmission.

I'm still tempted to buy an old c900 again but wouldn't go down the modification path I did when I was a teenager...
Old 09-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #5
SAAB Road Master

Right you are. These old C900 turbos are fun, sound great and feel faster than they are with 165-185hp. I rode in Mike D's previous T5 900 notchback at Carlisle a few years ago and that is the fastest C900 I've been in to date. THAT was a fast car and, if I remember correctly, wasn't pushing more than 225hp at the time. "Usable power" is an important thing to consider when modifying SAABs or any front wheel drive car for that matter. Like others on here, I have a 9000 and a viggen, both with high outputs, but those platforms, drivetrains and transmissions handle power a little better than the old 900. What I've heard time and time again is that anything above 275hp will destroy a stock C900 transmission in short order. I know my friends running 220+hp in their 900T Lemons race cars were rebuilding broken transmissions every 2 races.

I've heard of very few people reinforcing the internals of the C900 trans to support 300+hp and one of them is Iron Joe. I wish a little more attention was paid to this and that a little more literature was available on how all the AVERAGE Joes can strengthen and prolong the lives of their C900 trannies.
1993 900 Commemorative Edition #50
1995 9000 Aero - Stage 3
1996 900 troll
2002 9-3 Viggen vert - Stage 4
2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
Old 09-07-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

keep it stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuHuSPG View Post
you've got to be a little crazy to put all this money and effort into c900s.
I'm still tempted to buy an old c900 again but wouldn't go down the modification path I did when I was a teenager...
Put time and effort maintain it and keeping it stock, you will feel better and spend less money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven View Post
Right you are. These old C900 turbos are fun, sound great and feel better when they are bone stock.
C900T has 200 lb-ft of tourque at 3000rpm bone stock. That's the same that 1995 BMW M3 makes. I have no complains about C900T bone stock, they are still fun and fast stock. Problem is with all turbo cars in general, people want to do stupid mods to them and they are never happy.

I blew up plenty of C900 trying to make them faster. I was missing the point. And the point is there is more to the car than just power output. They are fun stock and keeping them reliable and stock makes me happy.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
I blew up plenty of C900 trying to make them faster. I was missing the point. And the point is there is more to the car than just power output. They are fun stock and keeping them reliable and stock makes me happy.

Who are you, and what did you do with Raul?

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:55 AM   #8
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven View Post
Right you are. These old C900 turbos are fun, sound great and feel faster than they are with 165-185hp. I rode in Mike D's previous T5 900 notchback at Carlisle a few years ago and that is the fastest C900 I've been in to date. THAT was a fast car and, if I remember correctly, wasn't pushing more than 225hp at the time. "Usable power" is an important thing to consider when modifying SAABs or any front wheel drive car for that matter. Like others on here, I have a 9000 and a viggen, both with high outputs, but those platforms, drivetrains and transmissions handle power a little better than the old 900. What I've heard time and time again is that anything above 275hp will destroy a stock C900 transmission in short order. I know my friends running 220+hp in their 900T Lemons race cars were rebuilding broken transmissions every 2 races.

I've heard of very few people reinforcing the internals of the C900 trans to support 300+hp and one of them is Iron Joe. I wish a little more attention was paid to this and that a little more literature was available on how all the AVERAGE Joes can strengthen and prolong the lives of their C900 trannies.
Mike D's red T5 c900 beater was amazing. There are plenty of 250-300hp c900's that either barely get driven or break regularly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
Elder

Mine barely gets driven. The girlfriend recently made a jab at me that we have only taken the car out once this year (for an autocross).

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 09-24-2017, 11:20 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
i will never move away from the stock turbo on a c900 ever again, I can make too much power, drive-ability, and reliability keeping the stock snail in place. (and just doing intercooler, exhaust, t5)

the old notch was fast, the new one will hopefully be just as good when finished. I miss my old red car too, It was comical being in a car that crappy, that moved that good. Also, top tip, According to an iphone dyno app, that old red beater, with me driving set a better 1/4 mile time, than another certain c900 with 400whp, LSD and racing tires.

All that was ever done to that red car, was a Cat delete, and T5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in