Stolen car - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Classic 900 Forum '78-'93 > General Classic 900 Posts and Information

General Classic 900 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Classic 900.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2015, 01:19 PM   #1
SAAB Road Master

Stolen car

Hey everyone,

Sometime between 11pm last night and 8am this morning my 1993 Commemorative 900 disappeared. It was parked on the street near my apartment in Williamsburg Brooklyn, NY. For anyone familiar with the pitfalls of NYC parking, no it was not towed by the police or moved to another location due to construction, filming or a street fair.

I'm hoping it was taken for a joyride and that will break down on the thieves before they make it too far. If anyone sees it driving around or abandoned somewhere, please let me know.

New York license plate is GNH2455

Thanks very much guys.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2015, 05:14 PM   #2
WSW
Elder

Sorry to hear this, hopefully it gets returned in one piece

I posted this on the c900 group on fb so everyone can lookout for it
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #3
SAAB Road Master

Thanks very much! It means a lot to have the support of this community.

Its been a rough day and, while I still believe the car will be found, the idea that it might never reappear or could be scrapped is heartbreaking.

It is Commemorative Edition #157. It has custom 17" wheels (almost none still exist), side vent covers, louvers and SPG bumper extensions (not the whole kit). Pictures are in my garage. If anyone sees those parts for sale maybe they can let me know.

Thanks again.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Terrible news
Hopefully it turns up soon
I'll be sticking around here for the MS paint wieners.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:17 AM   #5
SAAB Road Master

Terrific news!

My car was found by the police over the weekend! They found it about 2 miles from where it was stolen and had it towed to a nearby salvage yard where they could fingerprint the car and make a full report. I can't find any damage mechanical or aesthetic and they left the radio and wheels. They did take all the tools and new-in-box SAAB parts in my trunk, but hey, I've got my car back!

Clearly the thieves were looking for a joy ride and, when they abandoned it, took what was valuable and easy to carry from the trunk.

Clearly I need to invest in a new ignition cyliner as my current one can be turned by pretty much any ol' flat head screwdriver. Maybe I'll go a step further and install a GPS transponder and perhaps a kill switch. Anybody else have any experience with those items?

Thanks!
Old 07-02-2015, 06:07 AM   #6
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Daven, bummer that it was stolen, but AWESOME that you got it back! My first impression was that it would be found in at the bottom of the Hudson or something.

I had a Talle Red '90 SPG Airflow that I was driving a few years ago and had an ex-con whom I was working with help me install a stereo. I told him I didn't want it to have any components that would be valuable enough to be worth stealing, and asked (in his professional opinion) if the stereo would tip the scales for potential theft or break-in. His response was (in his professional opinion)... how many of this car in this model and color were there in the whole country? I guessed probably under 20. He said, right... then what would be odds a thief being caught with the stolen car? Probably very high. Right... well, well what about the (2009) value of the car? I said it was probably worth around $5000 to a collector. He said right... NOT WORTH IT!

Then considering the stereo equipment, it was a 10-year old sub and amp with a used tape/cd player... NOT WORTH IT! He would imagine that anyone looking to steal a car would seek out a car that could blend in. Something that looked exactly like every other car (obviously in demand, and easy to flip quickly) and had a new and valuable stereo. He told me I could leave my car in the middle of a prison yard with the doors unlocked and no one would touch it. I never locked it again (living in Boston) and never had any trouble.

So my estimated guess is that it was not this ex-con that stole your car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in