The Saab Link Forums

The Saab Link Forums (https://www.saablink.net/forum/index.php)
-   General 99 and 90 Posts and Information (https://www.saablink.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   1978 99-Turbo (https://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=56457)

DeLorean 07-08-2011 12:25 AM

1978 99-Turbo

Yep, some of you may know the one I have that has 550K miles on it. It's beat, too rusty to be worth fixing and basically needs a re-shelling. It does still run great though, oddly enough. I have been casually looking for a better one for a while now.

Last week, I spotted a very poorly listed one that was going up an estate auction on auction zip. The car was about 400 miles from me, but I had to check it out. Paul H and I headed out to Ohio to hit the auction today with the Penndot truck & the tow dolly "just in case"...

Well I got it at the auction today! It's an extremely low rust, original 78 99-turbo. I got for very cheap! Pictures tomorrow. I think people will be amazed. There was not a single "saab person" at this auction, and the only interest in it was from the scrappers, whom I saved it from! It has the sweet 80's "saab turbo" graphics, it's the rarer color, it has good paint, excellent body... good airdam, good grill! - It may or may not run - this I will figure out tomorrow as well.

I know, this thread is worthless without pictures, but I will show the only photo in the auctionzip listing. I will have better pics tomorrow so I can get the antique tags.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...erson9/fi5.jpg

I was not really seriously looking for this, but I'm sure I will enjoy it now that I have it.

Cark 07-08-2011 04:52 AM

wow good for you! I am extremely jealous. Nice detective work and awesome find. Still dreaming of someday owning a 78 turbo.

Had one for a short time, but it was too far gone and I had no garage to do any work on it.

Again... well done!

mcrowley 07-08-2011 05:58 AM

Nice find. It'd be a shame if that went to the scrappers.

midnightsonett 07-08-2011 06:06 AM

Jealous ? Me too.Thats a great find in that condition.Didnt know the graphics continued on the front fender like that and a good airdam and grill,impossible to find.
And speaking of grills,I learned a cool trick years ago from this fellow who had an indie saab repair shop.Any time he came across a pozi drive screw that had its head stripped he would put a bit of valve grinding compound on the tip of the screw driver and they would pop right out.A standard Philips will strip a pozi drive every time.Anyway what a neat car and no doubt you will have good luck with it.

Moonracer 07-08-2011 06:18 AM

I've been looking for awhile for the same car! I have a 77 turbo test car that is too far gone to save.

BurnsSide42 07-08-2011 06:32 AM

As I said to you on the phone - awesome. Can't wait to see it/drive it. I didn't think your 500+K one you bought years ago was that bad - but if it truely is I can understand making that the parts car. I'd try and repair both if feasable and then contact Saab and see if they want to buy the 500K+ one for a museum peice ;) as they now have some funding.

Should be a nice photo shoot one day when I have my 1971/80 99 T16 on the road and put it next to your 78' Turbo. lol I think mine will be faster (a first).

Tweek's Turbos 07-08-2011 07:36 AM

Awesome!

I will donate to you guys a copy of my press and test reports binder from saab. And the good running B motor that Harvey doesn't want.

mike saunders 07-08-2011 07:40 AM

Candidate for Buy of the Year.

aireeca 07-08-2011 07:41 AM

I think there are some shop manuals in the Ski Lodge on the lower mantel in a blue or red cloth shopping bag that I scored for free off of CL.

See you guys (and the car) tonight!

aireeca 07-08-2011 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike saunders (Post 846800)
Candidate for SAAB Buy of the Year.

That's accurate.

Tweek's Turbos 07-08-2011 07:49 AM

Does the compound have a fax number?

I can fax TSB's untill Jesus comes back.

aireeca 07-08-2011 08:01 AM

No, but I do at work here in JC. You want me to text you that?

Palmer 07-08-2011 08:03 AM

Whoa, awesome!

aireeca 07-08-2011 08:12 AM

Yeah, we just need to find two leisure suits and a polyester wrap-around dress for me and it'll be a real toss-up what car gets driven for Halloween this year....

JLausch 07-08-2011 08:13 AM

Wow that is truly an awesome score! Can't wait to see it. Neuswede had purchased a similar car and was going to fix it. IIRC he ended up selling it to someone on the other side of the world.

turbocon86 07-08-2011 08:27 AM

Nice! Can't wait for more pics and details. What did you end up paying for it? If you were competing with scrap guys I'm guessing under $300.

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/r...aab900Like.jpg

DeLorean 07-08-2011 08:53 AM

Thanks for the compliments, the competition was the 3 Scrap guys, and 1 person who wanted to pay about $150 more than scrap value (not sure what he wanted it for, maybe the turbo + scrap... But anyway, $500 dead even was the eventual price. Cheapest non parts car 99-turbo of the year? We'll see if it runs today. I am expecting it to need at least a head gasket and a waste gate diaphragm. and probably brakes and a clutch (clutch feels shot)

jk88 07-08-2011 09:24 AM

Very, very cool.

Does this bring your fleet up to about 40 cars? Take next week, nay month, off of buying and get them together for a group photo. :)

aireeca 07-08-2011 09:27 AM

^^^This is a taller request than you might imagine. We might need you to head out for a visit and pop ya up in a plane. :)

turbocon86 07-08-2011 09:38 AM

A bing maps satellite image should do the trick. :)