The Saab Link Forums

The Saab Link Forums (https://www.saablink.net/forum/index.php)
-   General 99 and 90 Posts and Information (https://www.saablink.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   99 Turbo voodoo (https://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41218)

GA 06-25-2009 08:48 PM

99 Turbo voodoo

So I went to fire up the 99 Turbo and get it ready for the Eurowerks show on Friday. The fuel accumulator doesn't work, so it takes awhile to start while the fuel pump gathers some fuel.

The last time I drove it, it didn't fire up when I tried to start it again. But there only a half a tank of gas, and I thought that might be too low with the accumulator not working.

So today I went and got some gas, filled the tank, and tried to start it. Cranked, and cranked, but no start. And the battery was almost all the way down.

So I whipped the convertible around and jumped it. Still cranked, no start. No fuel smell after all this time.

So on a whim I walked over to the fuse box, and of course it has the old style ceramic fuses. I took the fuel pump fuse, twisted it maybe a quarter turn in the slot, and tried to start the car.

Boom, cranked and fired right up.

Voodoo.

jk88 06-25-2009 09:07 PM

If I've learned anything about these cars, it's that they require a healthy amount of voodoo. Well done. :)

PaulH 06-25-2009 09:26 PM

those fuses suck, you should replace them all with new ones, you'll be amazed how much better things work afterwards.

Paul

BurnsSide42 06-25-2009 09:30 PM

New ones being plastic "ceramic" fuses or something else?

PaulH 06-25-2009 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnsSide42 (Post 641884)
New ones being plastic "ceramic" fuses or something else?

yeah just new shitty fuses, rather than old shitty fuses, the corrosion is the issue, so new ones fix it for a while. I've also seen it where those things look perfectly fine, but when you try to remove em, they fall apart because they have either blown in a weird way, or just corroded real badly.

Paul

DeLorean 06-25-2009 10:57 PM

I hate ceramic fuses. Go back to 1920 and take your antique fuses with you. I know Mercedes used them well into the aught's, but those Newfangled Mercedes suck.

Bullseye 06-26-2009 03:49 AM

Take a tiny bit of never seize and put it on the end of the fuse. (If they are really scuzzy, clean the ends first) Wiggle it around to coat everything and that should solve your problem once and for all.

BurnsSide42 06-26-2009 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullseye (Post 641924)
Take a tiny bit of never seize and put it on the end of the fuse. (If they are really scuzzy, clean the ends first) Wiggle it around to coat everything and that should solve your problem once and for all.

No - Updating the wire harness to accept a real fuse will cure the problem - somehthing I'd like to do prior to a Mega-Squirt V4

Voodoo 06-26-2009 01:41 PM

It wasn't me I swear.

Moonracer 06-26-2009 02:45 PM

GA, been having anymore problems with the starter? Remember I do have the rebuilt one here for you. Alot of your electrical gremlins will go away when we replace the wire harness in that car during the second stage of rebuilding.

Bullseye 06-26-2009 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BurnsSide42 (Post 641928)
No - Updating the wire harness to accept a real fuse will cure the problem - somehthing I'd like to do prior to a Mega-Squirt V4

You are correct. But, that does take some time and effort.

GA 06-26-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonracer (Post 642164)
GA, been having anymore problems with the starter? Remember I do have the rebuilt one here for you. Alot of your electrical gremlins will go away when we replace the wire harness in that car during the second stage of rebuilding.

No, the starter has been totally fine.

The fuel accumulator thing annoys me; I know it will eventually start but I shy away from driving the car knowing it takes a few minutes to get the fuel pressure up.

The second cooling fan also does not work. Given how hot the thing runs, that's an issue.

Those are my top two issues from a driveability standpoint.

oldskool 06-26-2009 07:58 PM

Sweet electrical voodoo GA! And Bullseye, thanks for the tip about never seize...I'm going to try that with the 1980 turbo 5-door.

Of all things, my "new" 1999 Volkswagen has these fuses, in the same 12 fuse fuse block as my older Bugs...

Bullseye 06-26-2009 08:42 PM

If you have a buddy who is an electrician get a little allox or no corrode from him (or her). It's the stuff you coat aluminum wires with so they won't oxidize.

Leif 78T 07-16-2009 10:44 AM

My pump fuse holder was burned out...bypassed the whole thing with a soldered in blade type fuse holder. Works 4.0!