breaks up at 3000 rpm's - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

breaks up at 3000 rpm's

ok i got to set base timing at around 9 degrees still having a problem around 3000-3200 rpm's (top of shift points and cruising speeds) the things i have done so far:
-set timing
-full tune up (cap,rotor,plugs,wires)
-replaced all fuel lines (rubber)
-replaced all vaccum lines
-replaced ignition coil
-cleaned and repaired all wiring at the coil

seems to start fine and idle good..when i checked the plugs did not see any signs of fouling or running rich (maybe even a little lean maybe)
is there a good place (common) to start with the d-jet adjustments?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

just took the car out for a good drive...kinda has misfires here and there no change..now with timing set i get a backfire out of the tb but i do know the timing is set should i just bump the timing to clean up the backfire or leave it and chase something else..either way i still have the same misfire/stumble/surge
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-07-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

im watching this thread closely with hopes that you find your problem......i have an 87 Toyota 4runner 22re EFI thats doing the same thing...i've replaced tons of parts on it already and none have fixed the problem. Heres a rundown on what i've done:

motor is new (has about 1500 miles on it)
new fuel pump
fuel injectors sent out to be tested and cleaned
new fuel filter
new NGK plugs
new NGK wires
new distributor cap
reset valve lash (rechecked like 5 times already)
replaced both intake manifold gaskets
replaced throttle body gasket
cleaned throttle body
cleaned intake
new O2 sensor
new valve cover gaskets
5 new hoses
new radiator
new vacuum line
adjusted TPS (rechecked like 10 times)
tested AFM
checked all grounds
new thermostat
new coolant temp sender
new exhaust flange gaskets
tested coolant temp sensor
tested knock sensor

people keep telling me i may have a burnt/sticky valve but with all new valve train im still not 100% on board. The only things i have not replaced are the CAT, Coil ignitor and the distributor. One of my friends thought it could possibly be the centrifugal advance in the distributor thats faulty causing timing issues.

The truck idles nice at 750rpm but when i get on the throttle it starts to make some popcorn pops out the intake. Very frustrating....i've been trying to track down the problem for the last 3 months.

Last edited by dasaabguy; 08-07-2012 at 07:00 PM.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

there is deeper discussion of here • View topic - breaks up @ 3000 rpm's ... i really dont have a backfire issue vs. just breaking up (ignition?) mine is a bosch d-jet injection
Old 08-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasaabguy View Post
im watching this thread closely with hopes that you find your problem......i have an 87 Toyota 4runner 22re EFI thats doing the same thing...i've replaced tons of parts on it already and none have fixed the problem. Heres a rundown on what i've done:

motor is new (has about 1500 miles on it)
new fuel pump
fuel injectors sent out to be tested and cleaned
new fuel filter
new NGK plugs
new NGK wires
new distributor cap
reset valve lash (rechecked like 5 times already)
replaced both intake manifold gaskets
replaced throttle body gasket
cleaned throttle body
cleaned intake
new O2 sensor
new valve cover gaskets
5 new hoses
new radiator
new vacuum line
adjusted TPS (rechecked like 10 times)
tested AFM
checked all grounds
new thermostat
new coolant temp sender
new exhaust flange gaskets
tested coolant temp sensor
tested knock sensor

people keep telling me i may have a burnt/sticky valve but with all new valve train im still not 100% on board. The only things i have not replaced are the CAT, Coil ignitor and the distributor. One of my friends thought it could possibly be the centrifugal advance in the distributor thats faulty causing timing issues.

The truck idles nice at 750 but when i get on the throttle it starts to make some popcorn pops out the intake. Very frustrating....i've been trying to track down the problem for the last 3 months.
A failed Thermistor in the Vane air meter or broken spring in it, Or a failing igniter could explain your problems. I was a toyota dealer Brat in the 90's, Both of those failures caused the unnessary replacment of major components on old EFi toyotas like 22re's 3sfe's 4-5me's etc.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

ok car ride into work...if i keep it at 3100-3200 rpm's and about 52-53 mph she runs good anything past that and it bucks and breaks up under load...in the garage you can rev it up clean in neutral but under a load totally different story
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in