Project: 1970 99 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
Project: 1970 99

After being 99-less for a few months, I came across a deal I couldn't refuse on a rust-free '70 99 (thanks for the link, Hirsch). It looked like this when we went to check it out in Dayton, OH:

There are two owner's manuals and a LOT of 1970s-1980s SCNA newsletters in that old briefcase. I'm looking forward to looking through all of those as time allows.

We returned a few days later and dragged it back to KY. So far, I've aired up the tires and washed the outside of the car. It now sits like this:

The next step is going to be to pull all of the spare parts out of the car and see what I really have. It came with pieces of 99s that the PO had driven and parted in the past, as well as things he had collected over the years.

The car was placed in storage in a barn a couple of years ago. The PO drained the water from the radiator, but not from the block. There was no antifreeze in the car... You can guess the outcome. I'm hoping that the crack is fixable, as I don't have any early 99 engines just laying around. If not, I'm open to swapping something a little more modern into the car, but currently undecided. I'll update this thread as I tear further into the car and figure out what I really have to work with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Elder

Looks great man - 1970 had what engine? I know somone with a super super low mileage 8V Engine sitting around just collecting dust... it MAY be an 8V Turbo... and by low mileage I mean UNDER 30,000.... Might be a nice "upgrade."
for your repair needs
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
Elder

1.7 Triumph I believe at that point.

'91 900 Turbo SE Convertible
'93 900 Turbo CE #116, modified
'02 9-5 Aero SportWagon, MT
'06 GTO, modified
'08 9-7X 6.0 Aero. The fastest stock Saab I've owned, bar none.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsSide42 View Post
Looks great man - 1970 had what engine? I know somone with a super super low mileage 8V Engine sitting around just collecting dust... it MAY be an 8V Turbo... and by low mileage I mean UNDER 30,000.... Might be a nice "upgrade."
Its the old Triumph engine. I'm not sure what it would take to adapt a later 8V (or anything else), honestly. I'll keep that in mind.

I'm new at the early 99 thing. My earliest before this was a '74, and I really didn't do a whole lot with it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
JK
Elder

Boy, I love the dashes in those early 99s!
Old 08-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #6
Elder

The '73+ 2.0L B motor should drop right in.

If you want to go ape at it with the later 900 engine - get ready to break out the heavy artillary.

Where did it crack?

Bitchin' car, that's a super cool color!

Best,
Drew

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Awesome car glad someone picked it up!

^CLICK ME^
Old 08-27-2010, 03:21 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

saab 99

That is real nice.i would look for a turbo B engine for it [the 1.85 engine is awful] Does your gear box have freewheeling ? my 69 did. can you post photos of the engine ?
Old 08-27-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
Elder

Saw the engine again last night, it's either an 82 or 83 TURBO 8V - he is willing to sell it, but didn't give a price (few hundred prolly) Under $500 for sure.
for your repair needs
Old 08-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #10
Trollerator
Elder

what a sweet looking 99!!! =)

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 08-31-2010, 08:07 AM   #11
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to Traingunner
Bro that car is beautiful! Good luck man!
Old 08-31-2010, 06:27 PM   #12
Flirting With TSL Addiction

that car cleaned up damn good!!.. bet the P.O. wishes he washed it before the sale.. coulda gotten 100$+ more easy lol

also too bad you are so far away, i have an extra set of incas that would look killer on this car

Last edited by 94cde; 08-31-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:05 PM   #13
Elder

Gorgeous! I have visions of a "custom" 99:

B202/T16

Bumper delete.

Soccer balls, or if I really wanted to go wild, replace the hubs with 900's and slap some Aero/SuperAero's on there.

That'd be it, though.

Nah. I'd try to keep it stock....

Or would I?

'91 900 Turbo SE Convertible
'93 900 Turbo CE #116, modified
'02 9-5 Aero SportWagon, MT
'06 GTO, modified
'08 9-7X 6.0 Aero. The fastest stock Saab I've owned, bar none.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:54 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Great looking 99! GL with it.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:06 AM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talladega900 View Post
Gorgeous! I have visions of a "custom" 99:

B202/T16

Bumper delete.

Soccer balls, or if I really wanted to go wild, replace the hubs with 900's and slap some Aero/SuperAero's on there.
Not sure how a 99 would look w/out bumpers - i keep trying to picture it with custom shorter bumpers, but that doesn't seem to flow right in my mind either. The bumpers are kinda needed to finish the lines I think.

As for wheels - Soccer balls would be my first upgrade - unless some Shelby mini-light wheels are sitting around Incas would look horrible on this car - unless painted some color.

B202/T16 would rock that 99's world - I think a 8V Turbo would be more "correct" and easier to fit - and also giving the car more power and reliability. Those old 8V's are tanks as long as they are left near stock... And it would make the trans last longer then a T16 swap

Super aero wheels would look really nice....

Inspiration?
for your repair needs
Old 09-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #16
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesonett View Post
Does your gear box have freewheeling ? my 69 did. can you post photos of the engine ?
It should have it, but the PO told me that he thought it was locked out or he just didn't know how to engage it. I don't know, as the car doesn't run yet. I'll do my best to get some pics of the engine this weekend. I'd really like to get started on the project, but things are a little hectic right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94cde View Post
also too bad you are so far away, i have an extra set of incas that would look killer on this car
I have a set or two as well, but I do appreciate the thought. For now, the steelies and hubcaps are staying. The tires on them appear to be in good shape, and I think they look right on an early 99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsSide42 View Post
Not sure how a 99 would look w/out bumpers - i keep trying to picture it with custom shorter bumpers, but that doesn't seem to flow right in my mind either. The bumpers are kinda needed to finish the lines I think.

As for wheels - Soccer balls would be my first upgrade - unless some Shelby mini-light wheels are sitting around Incas would look horrible on this car - unless painted some color.

Inspiration?
We'll get to see how it looks without a rear bumper for a bit. The one that is on the car is twisted on the right, so it'll be removed at least temporarily.

Soccerballs, while somewhat correct, are kind of fucking ugly. I have them on my 96 and I waver between not minding them and absolutely hating them. The (marginal) added width and usable tires are the only reason they're on the 96 at all. Minlite-style wheels are a winning proposition on anything, but I let my only set go with the '78 99 that I sold a few months back. Even if I swapped to the later 900 brakes/suspension/hubs, this car will not have Aero or Super Aero wheels on it. They're too big and too heavy.

That orange 99 is nice, but not my cup-o-tea. I'd rather have his drivetrain in a totally stock-appearing body. Understated and sleeperish is where its at.

Thanks for all the comments and well-wishing, guys. I can't wait to dive into the project.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in