99t 16v info needed - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
TSLMember

99t 16v info needed

Wats up guys my 78 99t is a P.......O........S..........but i love it,my problem is that the 8v cis motor has gave me nothin but problems since day one,eletrical and mechanical.Originally i wanted to keep the car as original as possible,i like the way the 8v looks,it matches the old school theme of the car,but ive given up on it..............so i need info on a 16v swap,is there already a thread on it?Or a step by step guide that i can follow?

THANKS
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

You going turbo or n/a?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
TSLMember

re

Yep,turbo is a must have.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:59 AM   #4

I'm not too sure if there is a definite recipe for this conversion. I've seen a few, and they're all done differently. No matter what, you're looking at building half a harness anyway. First place to start is to get a donor car (or 2 or 3) and start ripping. Space in the engine compartment is definitely an issue to get a turbo engine in there. Never done this myself, but I've been thinking about it for years.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:05 PM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I am in the process of doing it for about a year, stalled project...I have some wiring left to do which is the major pain but it at least runs and moves under it's own power! Some of the main things that need to be done if I recall are, the firewall needs to be moved back slightly and the shifter linkage needs to be shortened a bit, I haven't perfected mine yet but I will in time. Also the front motor mount might need to be customized a bit. Also the Alternator has to be re-located Just a few things I recall....

Here's a few pics of mine for motivation, I didn't go the turbo route just because I didn't have a turbo parts car so mine is N/A which made things a bit easier but once I get it running and back on the road I may turbo it as a winter project! Please excuse the different rims front to back, I am doing a rear axle conversion soon hopefully, I already did the fronts with new calipers and rotors but it's been sitting for a year so it will probably need new rotors again ,

-Chip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010288.jpg (305.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg P1010287.jpg (311.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg P1010284.jpg (406.6 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #6

Nice looking 99. Where the hell did you come up with that in Vt? Started mine with the brake/suspension swap because it was a runner, never made it past planning for the engine swap.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriks1 View Post
Nice looking 99. Where the hell did you come up with that in Vt? Started mine with the brake/suspension swap because it was a runner, never made it past planning for the engine swap.
Hey thanks, it's actually from Connecticut, I have painted it and it needed the passenger side control arm area redone but lucky for me I am handy with a welder! I have a few small spots of rust on the hatchback coming back through that I need to fix but I suppose that's what makes a project a project!!
Old 06-12-2010, 05:57 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

red 99

That is a nice little car.i want to do this conversion so bad.first one i saw was in the " European car " mag.
i started my conversion by getting a complete 88> saab 900 t.[lost storage ,sold the parts,never finished]i wanted to do the brake conversion at the same time,rear axle and all.better choice for wheels,rear E brake etc.
the wiring should not be a big deal,the efi harness is pretty much separate from the rest.
from what i read the fire well is the only real difficult part.the crank pulley hits it.plus you need to fabricate/alter the motor mounts.
if you have a good 99 and a place to do it dive right in .not to hard nor expensive.
a SAAB 99 with a 16v would be the ultimate SAAB enthusiast car !
Old 06-12-2010, 06:20 AM   #9
TSLMember

It sounds pretty simple,do u have to cut out for the crank pulley or can u get a different year one,an wat year was it.What do yall think about the t16 with the four speed,i was thinkin about that instead of the five?
Old 06-12-2010, 06:36 AM   #10

I think the 4 speed sounds like good idea, I would have kept mine 4 speed except for the fact I wanted a 5th gear for interstate cruising.
Old 06-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #11
TSLMember

were bout does the firewall need to be moved back?
Old 06-12-2010, 10:04 AM   #12

Keep the 4 speed, I think that will eliminate the need to alter the front mount
Old 06-12-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriks1 View Post
Keep the 4 speed, I think that will eliminate the need to alter the front mount
You don't need to alter the front mount - just put the 99 gearbox front cover on the 900 gearbox. Direct swap.

There are a couple of project threads on this on SaabCentral. Amongst some of the things to consider:
  • You will need a complete wiring loom for the fuel ECU (and EZK Ignition if you are not going Turbo).
  • If you are going 5 speed you will beed the gear shifter mechanism as well.
  • The bulkhead / firewall has to be givena 'Swedish Massage' in about an inch only if it is pre'80? I think. Earlier 99's definiately need the firwalll mod to accomodate the crank pulley where as later 99s do not. Some people have put access hatches into their firewall to facilitate changing belts and such.
  • Machine off the 3rd ring from the crank pulley. This will also liberate a bit of space as you won't need power steering on the 99.
  • You can actually use the single pulley from a 99 h-engine car. However, that is not compatible with the shutter-wheels which have to be mounted on the back of the pulley to make it work with a modern 9000 ignition system (if you want to run DI) If you are not using a 9k ignition system then use the single pulley from a 99 H-engine. You also need single pulleys on the alternator and the water pump. You need a 99 alternator from a 99 H-engine car and you need the mounting brackets to go with it. This will set the alternator back about an inch when compared with the mounting position of the 900 alternator.
  • It is also worth upgrading to post-87 rear handbrake suspension from a 900; with 185bhp on tap that is quite a leap from the 99's stock 8 valve, carb, 90bhp.
  • Try and fit a 900 radiator or take your 99 radiator to a workshop so they can modify it so that it matches the layout of the 900 rad - this will greatly simplify the plumbing for the coolant.
  • The only bit of fabricating is the RHS engine mount; the lower half is generic but the upper half is specific to 8v and 16v engine.
  • Move the battery to the boot. Makes more space for the downpipe and stops the battery being cooked.
  • 900 exhaust sytem needed to mate with the turbo downpipe.

That should keep you going for a bit. Let us know how it goes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1992 2.1 900
1974 96 V4
Old 06-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #14
TSLMember

Thanks for that info,made my job a whole lot simpler,i will keep yall up dated.....
Old 06-14-2010, 10:30 AM   #15
Elder

I personally would use a 2.0L N/A motor with the 2.1 head and intake and run that with a 4 speed box - the car would be sooo much faster than it was, and just about as reliable as they get. Would make a GREAT rally runner too - no worries about too uch torque - it would be just right.
for your repair needs
Old 06-14-2010, 11:12 AM   #16
TSLMember

No offence...it would be a dog.

Why in the name of Christendom would you want to put a 2.1 head on a 2.0N/A motor? The larger combustion chambers will lower compression (think c900 turbo off-boost all the time.).

The 2.1 head and inlet manifold do flow better with larger ports but they have the same size valves. On an NA motor it is all about the biggest possible valves, high compression and good cams. The 2.1 head is the same as the 2.3 head on the 9000 turbo. An otherwise stock 2.0N/A engine is never going to move much more air to warrant that.

If anything, put the '85 turbo head on which will lower compression and will mate with your existing inlet manifold.

If you want fun & games, cheap as chips power go for the turbo conversion.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1992 2.1 900
1974 96 V4
Old 06-14-2010, 01:48 PM   #17
TSLMember

There might be some fast n/a saabs out there but not for me no offence to the n/a drivers but i am a boost junkie
Old 06-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #18
Elder

Ah - you are soo right - I'm used to Turbo thinking... I agree, turbo makes more sense considering all the work needed anyways - but a well built n/a could give any car a run for it's money. Its about the use of the vehicle too.
for your repair needs
Old 06-15-2010, 04:16 AM   #19
Avid TSL User

Smile n/a or turbo

yeah,i would go turbo also ,it will cost the same either way and require the same amount of work.[i got a turbo engine at the [email protected] a month ago ,150 bucks]
if you dont ues the four speed i would at least hang on to it.you can also take the chain from the four and put it on the five speed. a 99 with a turbo 16v engine will blow the doors off just about anything on the road,including 900's.your gonna have a lot of fun with that car .i,m so jealous. ill give you an spg and my convertible for it when your done.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #20
TSLMember

Ha ha,thanks for the offer but imma hang on to her,that was my first car,it was definitively an odd car to have at 16 but my step father said if you can get it runnin its yours,if not to the junkyard.I researched and went to yards to get parts until i got it barely walkin.Drove it to school my junior year,and oddly enough people thought it was cool,AND THATS WERE IT STARTED........SAAB FEVER! Six saabs and a basement full of parts later,MAN I LOVE SAABS! Wat are some of yalls storys about how u came into saabs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in