Ah crap - 1973 99 thread - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 12:48 PM   #1
JK
Elder

Ah crap - 1973 99 thread

OK, so I bought Greg's car. I know there's not too many vintage saabers on here, but hopefully between Marty, Paul H, Delorean, and anyone else I missed you can help me learn a few things

Question #1

How do I turn on the freaking heat?!

Question #2

For converting to a 5 speed, what parts from a c900 might work for me, and what is 99 specific? I don't plan on doing it now, I'd rather keep it as-is until after next summer, but I'd like to keep my eyes peeled if the gear shift, pedal assy., and clutch master are totally different than the 900 ones that I have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #2
c900 Grognard
Elder

Nice! Is this the green one?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
JK
Elder

Yes, the green car.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
How did you manage that? You just wear him down with daily requests?

JK: "Morning Greg, selling me your 99?"
GA: "No."

Repeat for five months.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
oh you're gonna have fun .

1. The heat, you just turn the middle knob (the one that says heat above it) and when that doesnt work (it probably wont) you need to take apart the dash and figure out what part of the controls has broken, its probably the stupid little tab on the end of the lever that moves the heater cable (you'll get what im saying when you take it apart). You'll either need to find a replacement that isnt broken or rig something up to fix it. My 99 is probably getting the heat removed entirely since i only drive it in the summer and it basically doesnt work at all.

2. Isn't the car an auto? if so, you're really gonna have fun. The i think 73 was the last year for the 96 style clutch master, so in order to make it a 5 spd, youll need one of those, and presumably the pedal assembly from a 73 or earlier car. Sounds fun right? The shifter assy from a 900 should work fine, the clutch is going to be the only issue. The other thing about that is if you find a clutch master, youll find out that the clutch hose fitting on it is standard thread, and the later slaves are metric, so you'll have to make a custom hose.

anything else?

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #6
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
oh you're gonna have fun .

1. The heat, you just turn the middle knob (the one that says heat above it) and when that doesnt work (it probably wont)
You mean, this middle knob? The one's that's missing the...knob part?

OK, sound great! And the fan? What makes the fan work?

Quote:
2. Isn't the car an auto? if so, you're really gonna have fun. The i think 73 was the last year for the 96 style clutch master, so...[techinal jargon]
YAY! I wonder if there's a way to make a c900 one work, obviously not bolt-up...but I assume anything is possible. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the clutch pedal, or pedal assembly.

Quote:

anything else?
Yes, but I don't even know what all I don't know yet...I'll get back to you.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by aireeca View Post
How did you manage that? You just wear him down with daily requests?

Repeat for five months.
His requests tapered off recently. The actual sale was prompted by the impending resurrection of my 99 Turbo, and the realization that I had about one too many cars for my winter storage capacity.

And I was never going to be able to get to the '73, not in the foreseeable future, given what Big Red, the 99 Turbo, and my red vert are needing.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:13 PM   #8
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
The knob that formerly turned the Temp dial is in the ashtray, BTW.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:22 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
yes thats the place where the knob should be, thats probably the part thats broken and not letting you have heat*

The fan should be controlled by a switch on the dash, in the woodgrain part, right next to that badass radio, I wish mine came with one of those.

Paul

Old 11-24-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Sorry, I don't have anything useful to add...But, the car couldn't be in better hands here in MN!

Also, Jen in love with the new green machine?
Old 11-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #11
JK
Elder

Jen thought it was neat enough for us to buy. We'll see what she thinks after a while :P
Old 11-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
That's a neat one. I bet Marty has all the clutch bits you'd need to convert this. Like Paul H said, once you have the clutch pedal situation sorted, which requires some light "custom work" to the lines if you want to use a later 900/99 trans, the rest is fairly easy and you can use basically all 900 parts.

One thing you are gunna need to figure out is what to do with your front trans mount. I am not sure what it's set up like on 99-autos, but I doubt it's the same as the 5 speeds. Well, thinking about it, you will probably just need a 99 manual trans front cover to bolt onto the 900 / later 99 trans, but I am not 100% sure on that.
Old 11-24-2008, 04:17 PM   #13
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
Well, thinking about it, you will probably just need a 99 manual trans front cover to bolt onto the 900 / later 99 trans, but I am not 100% sure on that.
Or I could weld something in...?

Old 11-24-2008, 05:05 PM   #14
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
You mean, this middle knob? The one's that's missing the...knob part?

OK, sound great! And the fan? What makes the fan work?

YAY! I wonder if there's a way to make a c900 one work, obviously not bolt-up...but I assume anything is possible. I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for the clutch pedal, or pedal assembly.

Yes, but I don't even know what all I don't know yet...I'll get back to you.
I have a new 99 heater knob and shaft that I bought in Sweden, PM me with your address. Those 99 heating/ventilation controls are fragile.

The Saab enthusiast formerly known as Notchback.
Old 11-24-2008, 05:41 PM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PoisonBeef
I've been tempted by this, but I (and the wife) doesnt want me sinking money in a car that I wouldn't drive daily....

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/915603115.html

Good luck with the 99, I love the looks of these cars...

99 3-door 9-3 - SOLD
99 5-door 9-3SE - td04, 3" dp, t5 suite - Sold

2001 Audi a6 2.7 twin turbo
1986 Audi 5000 2.2 turbo
2012 VW Golf TDI
1982 Yamaha Seca xj650
Old 11-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Congrats on the new ride!

(sorry I can't be of assistance)

Old 11-25-2008, 02:32 AM   #17
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Boosted Shoe Send a message via MSN to Boosted Shoe Send a message via Yahoo to Boosted Shoe
Damn i want the parts from that 76 in green bay.....I'll keep my eyes peeled on my parts pile if there is anything duplicate that I wont need I'll let you know, though most of my stuff wont help since mine really has no interior =P
Old 11-25-2008, 05:37 AM   #18
Elder

JK I do have a 2 73's in the junk yard for the conversion if needed.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #19
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by notchback View Post
I have a new 99 heater knob and shaft that I bought in Sweden, PM me with your address. Those 99 heating/ventilation controls are fragile.
I certainly don't need to deprive you of any of your spare parts :P I'm not too worried about it, it won't be a winter car at all, so I'll wait and figure it out next summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonracer View Post
JK I do have a 2 73's in the junk yard for the conversion if needed.
Very cool! I'll have to discuss this with you sometime. No rush at all right now since its going to go sit in an old cleaned out milking parlor for the winter, and there are other things to take care of before worrying about the trans (in my opinion).
Old 12-12-2008, 09:16 AM   #20
JK
Elder

Took a picture of the car last night for no particular reason before starting it up to clear off the snow from my off-street parking

I went to see if it would start, as it had been sitting for over a week, probably almost two weeks since last running. I popped in the fuel pump fuse turned it over and the thing fired right up. I moved it over across the alley and left it run for 10 min while soveling snow.

After 10 min I went back and got in the car only to see that the temp gauge was WAY too high! So i flipped on the switch that manually controlls the fan brought it back to my part of the alley and shut the motor off (leaving the cooling fan on).

First think I checked was the return hose to the coolant reservior on the passenger side. Guess what, fucking full of mostly frozen slush. I checked the driver's side hose between the thermostat and radiator and it was hot. Fuck. Checked the radiator, 1/2 hot, 1/2 cold. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

I know somewhat of a coolant system flush had been done, but I was not aware that the car was topped up with just water (or I had been aware and I totally forgot). I got some gloves and popped the cap and sure enough some VERY dilute cooland blasted out for several seconds.

I plugged in the block heater and went to get some real coolant. Got a bottle of straight coolant and the car took the whole gallon. I ran it for a while, being sure to check each line by loosening the hose clamps and pulling the line off to be sure I was seeing good green coolant coming out.

I think I dodged a bullet, since I saw no leaks from the block, around the water pump, on the radiator, or anywhere else that would seem suseptable to cracking because of the frozen cooling system. The radiator warmed up nicely across its entirity and the heat inside the car was working too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in