Ah crap - 1973 99 thread - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2008, 01:48 PM   #41
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
Time for a push button start...
I'm going to have to agree with you. I will probably retain the key function, since it goes from off to on just fine, but the start part is very finicky.

I also have to bypass the neutral safety switch and inturrupt that fuel pump/turn signal battery drain. So I might as well do all that junk!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2008, 02:15 PM   #42
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
I'm going to have to agree with you. I will probably retain the key function, since it goes from off to on just fine, but the start part is very finicky.

I also have to bypass the neutral safety switch and inturrupt that fuel pump/turn signal battery drain. So I might as well do all that junk!
Old 12-16-2008, 02:19 PM   #43
Elder

Quote:

Lemme know if you need any of that help stuff you hear about. I still have a switch left over I think ($2.00 savings!!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 12-16-2008, 02:23 PM   #44
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
Lemme know if you need any of that help stuff you hear about. I still have a switch left over I think ($2.00 savings!!)
Ditto on that JK. I am here if you need a hand.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #45
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Yeah the early keys were junk. I think you can get take all the key cylinders out of a c900 and put those in to get a stronger key.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1979 99 GL "99 Super"
1999 S10 ZR2
1991 Mazda Miata
78' Turbo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #46
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab99Super View Post
Yeah the early keys were junk. I think you can get take all the key cylinders out of a c900 and put those in to get a stronger key.
Oh thank god. Now I almost wish I had not sold that whole set of keys and locks that I had been keeping around for a rainy day...damn. Oh well, I'm sure I can find a set at a junk yard.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 PM   #47
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab99Super View Post
even on the early cars? I know my 73 has the totally weird single cut keys in it, never checked to see if I could put the newer ones in. Mine oddly still has the original steel key, though its developed a hairline crack where the cut part meets the head .

Paul

Old 12-17-2008, 05:15 AM   #48
Elder

Quote:

That's what I did to the Z.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:29 AM   #49
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Carl Send a message via Skype™ to Carl
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
I know my 73 has the totally weird single cut keys in it, never checked to see if I could put the newer ones in. Mine oddly still has the original steel key, though its developed a hairline crack where the cut part meets the head .
x2

Strangely enough, the original owner of my 73 had the door locks replaced with M74-80 96 push buttons with very similar looking keys to that of a later 99 or 900. The keys are still made by ASSA instead of YMOS, though.

M00 9-3 Conv. B234 makes up for Sun Green
M73 99L In Maine
Old 12-17-2008, 07:05 AM   #50
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I know you can switch ignition for sure if you switch out the housing because that what we did to the race car when switching a 1990 housing to a 73 housing.

1979 99 GL "99 Super"
1999 S10 ZR2
1991 Mazda Miata
78' Turbo
Old 12-17-2008, 07:43 AM   #51
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Adding the starter button also corrects the inherent 99 ignition wiring trouble that causes the car to occasionally not want to start when hot. Just be sure to remember, if you bypass all the wiring you can hit the "start" button at any time regardless of ignition position and it will try to start. Especially bad if you have no E-brake, cause you will be parking in gear for sure.

You may think it's silly, but I have accidentally hit my 79 99's "start" button more than once when I was fiddling around with stuff in the car. Parked in gear, car off and it takes off rolling for a few feet. it is quite startling!
Old 12-17-2008, 07:45 AM   #52
c900 Grognard
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
Adding the starter button also corrects the inherent 99 ignition wiring trouble that causes the car to occasionally not want to start when hot. Just be sure to remember, if you bypass all the wiring you can hit the "start" button at any time regardless of ignition position and it will try to start. Especially bad if you have no E-brake, cause you will be parking in gear for sure.

You may think it's silly, but I have accidentally hit my 79 99's "start" button more than once when I was fiddling around with stuff in the car. Parked in gear, car off and it takes off rolling for a few feet. it is quite startling!
Get one of those switches with the red flip over cover, like a helicopter cockpit, or nuclear command station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:47 AM   #53
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Get one of those switches with the red flip over cover, like a helicopter cockpit, or nuclear command station.
That was exactly what I was thinking
Old 12-17-2008, 07:48 AM   #54
c900 Grognard
Elder

It's that extra level of protection, like the switch is saying: "Are you really sure you want to start this SAAB?"

Quote:
Old 12-17-2008, 07:56 AM   #55
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post

You can wire the switch/button up to not be "hot" unless the key is turned on, that's not too tough.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:03 AM   #56
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Jets.

Not helicopters.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:56 AM   #57
JK
Elder

I can assure you that you can find those switches in Helicopters...at least last time I was in one
Old 12-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #58
Elder

Quote:
I can assure you that you can find those switches in Helicopters...at least last time I was in one
It's official.

Saab 99 born from helicopters.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:16 AM   #59
c900 Grognard
Elder

Quote:
Yeah, I remember vividly from sitting in a cockpit at an airshow when I was little.

Quote:
Old 12-17-2008, 10:23 AM   #60
JK
Elder

Well, the car is going ot be sharing storage space with my step-dad in-law's Bell 205, maybe I'll see if I can snag a switch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in