Ah crap - 1973 99 thread - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2008, 10:07 AM   #21
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Wow...

You got LUCKY.

I thought you brought that down to stankato?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #22
Elder

Crazy lucky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:51 AM   #23
JK
Elder

We were on a tight schedule so I did not bring it to Wankato, and I fear this weekend is more of the same - too much to do and not enough time for a potential break down

Not sure how lucky I am quite yet, I have to keep an eye on things. I didn't see any way GUSH out of the car, but you never know if a slow leak could have developed. Worst case scenario is that the motor is junk from a cracked head or block or something and I have to replace it with a 16 valve. That would be OK by me.

Old 12-12-2008, 11:37 AM   #24
Elder

If it was slush you'll be ok. The only thing to worry about is the water pump. that is where it will show up first.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-12-2008, 11:42 AM   #25
JK
Elder

Yeah, and those water pumps sure are awesome to begin with!

Fact is that I can't be sure if it was slush to start off, but I assume it probably was.
Old 12-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #26
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
I'm sure it's fine. As long as a freeze plug didn't pop out, the rad don't leak and the water pump still works
Old 12-12-2008, 06:00 PM   #27
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
This is my fault, I probably did a piss poor job of telling JK what happened.

When I had the car I tried to do a radiator flush, but I was never able to get the drain plug on the block open -- all I was able to get out came out the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator. So I kept trying to flush out coolant with water, and gave up after like 3 or 4 water flushes, because it wasn't working. So I just left it without putting new coolant in. And then got busy with a thousand other things.

Oh well, I'm just glad it seems not to be a fatal error.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:13 AM   #28
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
I'm sure it's fine. As long as a freeze plug didn't pop out, the rad don't leak and the water pump still works
Pump still works, but I went out to check the car and there is a large pool of antifreeze surrounding the frond end. So, there be a leak somewhere! Yar!

It looks to me like its coming from the front end, my guess is that the radiator split somewhere. I'll have to look into it some other time
Old 12-13-2008, 07:14 PM   #29
Flirting With TSL Addiction

It should be fine. The blue one I have over heated a few times and the brown one a lot before I put the new headgasket in. Both survived no problems.

One thing I have learned though is to never leave a 99 idle on its own even if for a couple minutes. 90% of the time when I do that the fuse will loose contact and bingo it's over heating. Ceramic fuses FTL.

1979 99 GL "99 Super"
1999 S10 ZR2
1991 Mazda Miata
78' Turbo
Old 12-16-2008, 08:50 AM   #30
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Voodoo Send a message via Yahoo to Voodoo
That thing looks sweet, moar pix? Reminds me of my e21 in Saab form. Old cars > new cars - more personality, more to fix
Old 12-16-2008, 09:20 AM   #31
JK
Elder

I have no moar photos at the moment.

However, as a bit of a pathetic yet interesting update, I had to move the car yesterday and went on the assumption that it was not going to start under and circumstances. Jen and I spent some time trying to push it into the space where I wanted it.

She then thought to ask why I did not try starting it, I thought that was a dumb idea since it was -10*F. Then I went and tried, and the stupid thing fired RIGHT up with very minimal cranking! I was dumbfounded. It took like 5-10 seconds for the auto trans to "find" reverse after I started it, but damn I was still impressed!

Last edited by JK; 12-16-2008 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:54 AM   #32
Elder

Careful with leading girls to think their correct... Your killing us here Jessop.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #33
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ View Post
Careful with leading girls to think their correct... Your killing us here Jessop.
They're

I can see how you would have trouble typing that correctly, since "they are correct," even in contraction form, when referring to women is a really tough thing for a guy to type under normal circumstances.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #34
Elder

Fuck your turning into one of them!

Old 12-16-2008, 10:36 AM   #35
Elder

Also thanks for going back and editing you're original post so that I couldn't pick out the grammar deficiencies.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:48 AM   #36
JK
Elder

Any time!

Seems like whenever I start a post, stop, go do something and then come back I have all sorts of strange junctions in my sentences. I never catch it before I hit the post button either
Old 12-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #37
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Djet works much better than i thought it would, I started mine when it was really cold a few times last winter with no problems. I think a lot of the horror stories about it are greatly exaggerated.

Paul

Old 12-16-2008, 12:52 PM   #38
c900 Grognard
Elder

Well the SAAB is designed for the swedish climate, so I can't see how it's that surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:09 PM   #39
JK
Elder

To me the surprising part is that it is a functioning 1973 EFI system let alone a functioning 1973 EFI system that still functions well below zero!

The ignition cylinder was actually the most stubborn part of the whole ordeal, and the flimsy shit-metal key didn't help. ANyone know if you can still get steel key blanks for 99s?
Old 12-16-2008, 01:22 PM   #40
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
To me the surprising part is that it is a functioning 1973 EFI system let alone a functioning 1973 EFI system that still functions well below zero!

The ignition cylinder was actually the most stubborn part of the whole ordeal, and the flimsy shit-metal key didn't help. ANyone know if you can still get steel key blanks for 99s?
Time for a push button start...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in