My Verona -- 1973 99LE 2-door (Verona Green) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
My Verona -- 1973 99LE 2-door (Verona Green)

I looked at this '73 99 near my house yesterday, advertised on Craigslist:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/car/715094003.html

and I went back today and bought it.

The good news is the car has 91,000 original miles, and is astonishingly rust free for a MN car. The only real rust problem on the whole car is the typical door bottom rust. The rest of the body is shockingly OK.

It starts and idles (after the vacuum hose to the distributor was hooked up, the old gas was drained and some new gas put in).

I was able to drive it up and down the seller's driveway. The brakes stick after the first application. Yesterday they were still sticking, but this morning I banged the brake master with a wrench and they loosened up enough for the 100 foot test drive. Whether that's the brake master or just 24 hours for the calipers to unstick, I do not know.

The turn signal dash light sucks power even when the turn signals are not activated. You have to pull the fuse for that circuit or the battery will run down. Apparently that's a fault in the turn signal relay, which I will need to replace.

On Monday, I'm going to have it towed to my office building parking lot. The basic agenda is getting it to run and drive enough to be mobile, change all the fluids, and then wax the living daylights out of it.

I'll have to redo the brake master and calipers to have any real confidence in driving the car, but I hope I can get it mobile before doing that -- to get it in and out of the garage for some weekend wrenching.

Here are the obligatory pics -- more and better pics after I take possession on Monday:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2008, 11:51 AM   #2
JK
Elder

Yup. I was very sad that I could not justify picking this car up.

Its a great deal for a very solid 99!

The paint is faded as shit, but it will come to life with very little work.

About the brakes. Was the parking brake being applied? If so, stop using it as that is probably the cause of the brake issue.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to AUPilot09
I like it, and I like the color too. What kind of things are you going to do once it's up and running well? (or is that as far as you've gotten, heh.)

I love where it says "Saab AC" lol

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
looks cool, the green is excellent, very 70's. The braking issue could be trouble, as the 73's have a completely different front brake setup than the later cars. They dont have sliding yoke calipers (a good thing) and the handbrake is a set of shoes inside the front rotor, kinda like what the ng900s have in the back. Parts availability is pretty poor, though there were some remanufactured calipers on ebay recently, and Chip Lamb has parts it seems, but not at bargain basement prices... if you need brake parts, i still have the calipers/rotors/hubs from my car. I converted to the vented 900 calipers along with the later trans I installed. I've also got DJet components that are known good that I'm not using anymore if you need them.

Paul

Old 07-11-2008, 11:56 AM   #5
Nick Taliaferro
Elder

Send a message via MSN to GenuineSaab Send a message via Skype™ to GenuineSaab
I love it.. That is my favorite color combo. Mine is alabaster yellow. Yuck. Just needs a 16v and a 4speed.

|
|

2.0 GOOSE 500whp + 8500rpm = 11.06 @125 E85
Viggen 439whp / 447tq 12.43 @114 on Gt2871.64, (Now 511whp Gt3076)
Nordic E85 9-3 SS Aero 320hp / 350ftlbs
Old 07-11-2008, 12:01 PM   #6
GA
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
Yup. I was very sad that I could not justify picking this car up.

Its a great deal for a very solid 99!

The paint is faded as shit, but it will come to life with very little work.

About the brakes. Was the parking brake being applied? If so, stop using it as that is probably the cause of the brake issue.
Yeah, for $650 I cannot complain. It's not a Paul and Jeff deal, but it's still a deal.

Yes, the parking brake was applied. But if the parking brake was sticking, why would the brakes loosen up and then stick after pressing the pedal for the first time? If it was the e-brake, wouldn't it just be stuck without this on-again, off-again stuff?

Old 07-11-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to aireeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
lif you need brake parts, i still have the calipers/rotors/hubs from my car. I converted to the vented 900 calipers along with the later trans I installed. I've also got DJet components that are known good that I'm not using anymore if you need them.

Paul
Just don't ask for the wastegate actuator. It is currently living in my toolbox, that mean thing....

Nice, nice score. That green is clearly Saab's answer to avocado '70s appliances.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Sweet car!

Old 07-11-2008, 12:06 PM   #9
GA
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUPilot09 View Post
I like it, and I like the color too. What kind of things are you going to do once it's up and running well? (or is that as far as you've gotten, heh.)
Short-term I just want to get it running and driving and enjoy it.

Long term - 16vT conversion perhaps. I have a couple of other projects lined up on the runway in front of it.

Quote:
I love where it says "Saab AC" lol
Yeah, that's cute. I wonder if it's worth trying to get the AC to work again. Probably not.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #10
GA
Elder

Quote:
looks cool, the green is excellent, very 70's. The braking issue could be trouble, as the 73's have a completely different front brake setup than the later cars. They dont have sliding yoke calipers (a good thing) and the handbrake is a set of shoes inside the front rotor, kinda like what the ng900s have in the back. Parts availability is pretty poor, though there were some remanufactured calipers on ebay recently, and Chip Lamb has parts it seems, but not at bargain basement prices... if you need brake parts, i still have the calipers/rotors/hubs from my car. I converted to the vented 900 calipers along with the later trans I installed. I've also got DJet components that are known good that I'm not using anymore if you need them.

Paul
I appreciate the offer, and I'm sure I will be chatting with you about various DJet weirdness.

Supposedly the DJet cars are zippier than the later 99s. It'll be fun to see if that checks out.

Old 07-11-2008, 12:16 PM   #11
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
I want at that paint, bad.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
I saw the post on Turbo!, Greg. Looks like a great project!

I love that color.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:17 PM   #13
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA View Post
I appreciate the offer, and I'm sure I will be chatting with you about various DJet weirdness.

Supposedly the DJet cars are zippier than the later 99s. It'll be fun to see if that checks out.
With the automatic trans I don't think you'll truely know how zippy it could be!

If you decide you don't want it in the near future I'll take it off your hands.

Like I said, I was disappointed that I could not pick it up, but with the pending Lemons car project I didn't think I needed to have yet another car on my property

This is the car I bought those Inca wheels for...sad.
Old 07-11-2008, 12:19 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
fix the battery tray grounds now rather than when the D-jet stops working Looks like a nice find. Does it have power steering? Some of the 99-automatics had it, none of the manual trans cars got it.

I say step 1 would be to ditch the auto. a non turbo + automatic takes any measure of driving fun away from the car... a 4 speed is a great choice for non turbo 99's
Old 07-11-2008, 12:21 PM   #15
Elder

i love how the clock is bigger than the speedometer
Old 07-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA View Post
It seems that they are, its a real good system when it works, and when its not leaking fuel. The pre-74(or 75, not sure) cars apparently came with a hotter cam due to the lack of federal emissions requirements at the time, makes them have some interesting top end kick when theyre running right. I'd invest in a few feet of good high quality fuel injection rated hose ASAP if I were you, since leaking gas is never a good thing. Like has been said, removal and replacement of the autotragic should really be first priority, I cant even imagine how slow that car is gonna feel.

Paul

Old 07-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #17
GA
Elder

Quote:
Like has been said, removal and replacement of the autotragic should really be first priority, I cant even imagine how slow that car is gonna feel.
My first Saab was a '75 99LE hatch, with an automatic. I cut my Saab teeth on this drivetrain.

Yes it was slow. But of all the cars I owned I got more speeding tickets in that Saab than any other.

But 4000 rpm at 75-80 mph FTL. Definitely a manual conversion is in order down the line. Probably not this summer, though.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:07 PM   #18
JK
Elder

Plus that manual conversion turns this from a $650 car into a $2500 car in a heartbeat (or a few weeks depending on where you take it).

Kinda the crappy thing about it
Old 07-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #19
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
JK and I went to look at this car together some time ago.

I was quite tempted. However, ever I realized I wanted a vert for my "fun" project car.

I am glad it stayed in the Saab community. GA has much more experience w/ 99's than I.

I look forward to seeing her come along!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:16 PM   #20
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via MSN to SAAB9-3USA
nice pick up .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in