Megasquirt time! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Megasquirt time!

So for a little background, my 73 99 EMS has D-Jetronic EFI, pretty advanced for 1973, and honestly doesnt work half as bad as you would expect considering its 35 years old. However, it runs funny, sometimes you will just be cruising along and it will momentarily hiccup, just long enough to make you worried you wont make it back home. I've been getting tired of that, so i figure its time to jump into the megasquirt install, first I'll show you what I'm dealing with.

the D-Jet "ECU"

the D-Jet MAP sensor

and the kooky d-jet fuel rail/injector setup, kinda odd, theyre pretty much standard bosch injectors (last 3 digits in the part number are 001 ) except for the fuel lines that clamp onto the tops of the injectors, thats a bit of an issue.

since most modern cars have o-rings on the top of the injectors that fit into a fuel rail, like this:

This was kinda holding me up for a bit, as i figured the easiest solution would be to just chuck the piece of brake line they call a fuel rail, and make a custom aluminum one, not very original looking, but it would work a lot better, then, it came to me:

just popped off the o-ring and cut a bit of the plastic off the injector, allowing me to stick a piece of fuel line on the top, clamp it down and use the stock fuel rail for now:

I'm hoping to get started on it next week sometime, I'll try to remember to take some pics along the way.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2008, 08:45 PM   #2
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Nice!

There cannot be too many 99's running MS.

Very cool.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
Yeah that going to be fin sweet. dyno that thing!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 03-27-2008, 12:40 AM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Aero
Gotta love MS!

Good luck with your project!

Old 03-27-2008, 04:12 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Excellent!

How long is the trans going to last?

Old 03-27-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
c900 Grognard
Elder

Nice!

I sweat your car hardcore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:10 AM   #7
JK
Elder

I love those D-Jet boxes

They're the size of a small mattress!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:33 AM   #8
Elder

Paul, just for giggles and shits before you take it all apart, try cleaning all the grounds in the engine bay. Pay close attention to the ones by the bottom of the rad. support and replace any connectors that the wire is green on. Then clean the points for the fuel injection that sit in the botom of the distributer. When we used to see these come in the shop these were the two main things that would cause you hicup issue.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:39 AM   #9
Elder

Good luck with the project!

MS is a lot of fun to play around with, at times.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:09 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post

I think the trans will be OK, it's still a non turbo. HP gains will be modest I'm sure.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:38 AM   #11
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
Excellent!

like delorean said, plenty long, its only got 110hp and thats what these trannys are designed for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonracer View Post
Paul, just for giggles and shits before you take it all apart, try cleaning all the grounds in the engine bay. Pay close attention to the ones by the bottom of the rad. support and replace any connectors that the wire is green on. Then clean the points for the fuel injection that sit in the botom of the distributer. When we used to see these come in the shop these were the two main things that would cause you hicup issue.
yeah I've redone the grounds allready, i do suspect the points could be part of the issue, the other problem is that when i got it there was no fuel filter, so god only knows how much rust from the tank got into the injectors. the big benefit i think i'll see with the megasquirt on this car is the mappable igntion, and maybe some better mileage, though it allready gets nearly 30mpg, but we'll see.

Paul

Old 03-27-2008, 08:00 AM   #12
Elder

It does sound like fun, good luck with the conversion, and keep the pictures comming. Remember I have an Orange 99 with D-Jet
Old 03-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
nice!

I'm glad to see you're doing this, that thing seemed like it had some pretty nice pep for a 30 year old car or maybe it was just very loud but either way that should be nice and smooth with MS. what size injectors are you going to run?
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 03-27-2008, 09:06 AM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonracer View Post
It does sound like fun, good luck with the conversion, and keep the pictures comming. Remember I have an Orange 99 with D-Jet
yeah i'll definitely post up details, from the looks of it it should be pretty straightforward, the wiring harness is mostly unusable because Djet fires the injectors differently (always grounded, djet provides 12v to fire em, opposite with megasquirt and most modern efi) but im fairly sure the fuel pump relay is useable so its just a matter of a pretty simple engine harness that needs to be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90SPG View Post
nice!

I'm glad to see you're doing this, that thing seemed like it had some pretty nice pep for a 30 year old car or maybe it was just very loud but either way that should be nice and smooth with MS. what size injectors are you going to run?
thats what annoys me, occasionally its really good, and decently fast, but then its not, completely at random. Also as you go through the revs you can feel that theres some serious flat spots where its most likely running lean, so I'm hoping for the best here. I'm using some #32 injectors, i think theyre from a 9000, probably overkill, but they were around, and will give me plenty of overhead without stressing the injectors.

Paul

Old 03-27-2008, 09:29 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
like delorean said, plenty long, its only got 110hp and thats what these trannys are designed for

Lol...yeah. Given Delorean's history with those things (pre-sis 06 for example) its not an unreasonable question

Old 03-27-2008, 04:13 PM   #16
Avid TSL User

Send a message via MSN to Ajax
Nice work, and good luck with it all!

Be sure to post pics too

I Come From The Land Of Plenty.

'72 2L 99: Project
Old 03-28-2008, 07:53 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
sweet! guess i should buy your old ms box and fund your project, huh?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:11 AM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
ethan if you're thinking of making the switch I may be selling my old MS box in the somewhat near future...
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 03-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #19
Elder

well, it was a nice day today, so i managed to make some progress. Tore out most of the old DJet harness, except for the wiring to the fuel pump and main relay, actually not to hard to do, its a pretty simple harness and the fuel injection harness is almost completely seperate from the rest of the wiring, so that helped. I then fed the megasquirt harness i got from www.rs-autosport.net through an existing grommet in the firewall, and ran the DB37 over to the passenger footwell, not really sure where I'm going to mount it, but I'll figure that out when i get to that point.

then i tackled getting the old injectors out, from the looks of it somebody had attempted removing them before, and managed to strip out some of the hold down screws, not a big deal, vice grips got em out.

they were really nasty, and had some bits in the screens at the top of the injectors, not a big surprise there, since when i got the car it had no fuel filter! I then realized that i needed to mod the new injectors a tad bit more to make them work, as the plastic end caps wouldn't fit in the holes in the manifold. Unfortunately on the 3rd injector, i managed to cut the end of the injector pintle, apparently that metal isn't very tough So I'm going to need to dig up another set of injectors, probably just some 900 turbo ones will do the trick. I stuffed the broken injector in anyway, just to get an idea of how it will all fit together, shouldnt take more than another day or two worth of work to get this thing running!

Paul

Old 03-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #20
Elder

more progress! These are the Main, and Fuel pump relays from the DJet system, essentially the only thing that I'm keeping from the DJet since they still work just fine.

unfortunately since the only wiring diagrams that i have are completely unreadable (thanks a pile hanes manual!) I had to make an educated guess as to what wires do what, and as it turns out it was much simpler than i had expected, i ended up with three possibilities that used to go into the DJet box, a black wire, and two grey wires. Some quick work with a test light confirmed that the two greys had 12v when the key was on, and when i grounded the black one the fuel pump ran, easy!

crimped, soldered and shrink tubed, and ready to be hidden

once i pulled the wires back into the dash, you can hardly tell theres anything different from stock.

so the one grey wire goes to megasquirt, and the other grey wire runs to the injectors, since they need a constant 12v, and then MS grounds them to inject fuel.

I have most of the harness in place where it needs to be, just a matter of adding a few connectors, and then bundling up all the wires in some sheathing. Another slight issue that I noticed today is the stock coolant temp sensor is a different thread than the later style sensor I want to use (for reliability sake, don't want to have to track down a spare DJet coolant temp sensor!) shouldnt be a big issue though, looks like i should be able to drill out the thermostat housing and tap it for the newer (larger) temp sensor. For now its just zip tied in place so I can determine the wire lengths I need.

thats it for today, depending on the weather this thing might be up and running next week!

Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in