"Thermal Reactor" Manifold! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 12:29 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to saabsbreakdown
"Thermal Reactor" Manifold!

Sure is...

f/3.5 1.3 sec iso 800 and brought the levels up a lot in photoshop.

Maybe I do need headers..

keep in mind these downpipes go into a 2.5" exhaust!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Car 178 - 1975 Saab 99 EMS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
looks like too much retard... I don't think even the thermal reactor manifold should be glowing on an n/a, those are some high EGT's to be getting from an n/a motor.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-04-2008, 07:44 AM   #3
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to HotRodLarry Send a message via Yahoo to HotRodLarry
I had that happen a couple times last year. Same style manifolds.

Old 01-04-2008, 09:30 AM   #4
JK
Elder

So, just curious...

Why are the called thermal reactor manifolds? Is the a nickname because of how they look or something?
Old 01-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Sedan
I had that same two-piece manifold on my '76 99 EMS. The only time it glowed like that was when the valves were all out of adjustment. I'm not saying that's your problem, that's just my only personal experience with a glowing "thermal reactor" manifold.

The Saab enthusiast formerly known as Notchback.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK View Post
So, just curious...

Why are the called thermal reactor manifolds? Is the a nickname because of how they look or something?
not sure why theyre called that, but the repair manuals refer to them as that, so its not just a nickname. they came on the later cars with air injection and shit, so probably some sort of emissions related design.

Paul

Old 01-05-2008, 03:58 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

Send a message via MSN to Ajax
Is that picture just from the car idling, or were you driving it around a bit (or perhaps even thrashing it) beforehand?

I Come From The Land Of Plenty.

'72 2L 99: Project
Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #8
Elder

The ignition timing is around 18 btdc, so its not from too much retard, and the valve clearances after i put the new cam on are all right in the middle of the service tolerances. I've been meaning to check them again after railing on it for a few weeks.

All I can think is that it's from the cam. I could adjust the cam gear if I wanted to and see if it made this problem go away, but the car pulls so nice the way it is now that I wasn't planning on messing with it.

Yes, I was thrasing the car a bit. Haha.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:27 PM   #9

Send a message via Yahoo to mr_saab79
Thats wicked! Never had that happen on a n/a before! Once on my 900t that was running rich... Is the car running rich by any chance?
95' 9k CSE

3 99s RIP
11 900s RIP
5 9000 RIP
Old 01-08-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
Elder

well fuck yeah its running rich

not like i have emissions testing or anything!

i bet this is more from the cam than the rich mixture.

at either rate, its staying this way. haha. anyone down for a bbq?

btw, it wasn't glowing THAT bright, i brought the levels up. Just a nice warm glow!

Last edited by saabsbreakdown; 01-08-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:01 PM   #11

It's just a matter of time b4 all of PA is under emission standards. For the time being I live in a non sanctioned county... Yay!
95' 9k CSE

3 99s RIP
11 900s RIP
5 9000 RIP
Old 01-08-2008, 03:05 PM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_saab79 View Post
It's just a matter of time b4 all of PA is under emission standards. For the time being I live in a non sanctioned county... Yay!
yeah but then you just need to find a car thats more than 25 years old, get some antique plates, and you're all set, no more inspections!

Paul

Old 01-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
yeah but then you just need to find a car thats more than 25 years old, get some antique plates, and you're all set, no more inspections!

Paul
That's the plan with my 79 900T as soon as I get him restored!
95' 9k CSE

3 99s RIP
11 900s RIP
5 9000 RIP
Old 01-08-2008, 03:34 PM   #14
Elder

In washington the collector vehicle plates get you past the liability insurance law too.

I haven't registered the green car as a collector vehicle yet because it's pretty much my daily driver until spring. Once you get those plates, you never have to buy tabs again. Pretty sweet. There are driving restrictions though.

Old 01-08-2008, 03:53 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsbreakdown View Post
In washington the collector vehicle plates get you past the liability insurance law too.

I haven't registered the green car as a collector vehicle yet because it's pretty much my daily driver until spring. Once you get those plates, you never have to buy tabs again. Pretty sweet. There are driving restrictions though.
same basic deal here, minus the insurance thing as far as i know. its like a $75 one time fee, and you are supposed to only use the car for "occasional use" thats apparently once a week. but i mean really what are they gonna do sit outside your house and check if you drive it two days in a row?

Paul

Old 01-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
you'd be a fool not to get liability on a classic / collector car even if it's not a law. the insurance on my '60 Impala is around $40 a YEAR... wipe out some old lady in a Merc. and see how much it costs from a judgment that puts wage garnishes on you
Old 01-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #17
c900 Grognard
Elder

Not all emissions standards are too tough, in DC (where my car is registered), basically if it's not smoking, it will pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:39 PM   #18

In the counties where it is required in PA they are actually rather strict. I have heard of alot of cases where people have had to replace their converters because their emissions were outside the exceptable level.
95' 9k CSE

3 99s RIP
11 900s RIP
5 9000 RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in