Classic Performance - The Saab 99 Turbo - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2007, 06:32 AM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Classic Performance - The Saab 99 Turbo

This Vintage forum needs more posts!

Here's an article from Oct 2007 in Autospeed.

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_109195/article.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2007, 06:44 AM   #2
Elder

I just picked up a pre-production 77-99 turbo. It was the actual car from the original Road & Track road test. The car is REALLY trashed out now. Severly rusted and alot of stuff missing on the engine. After it's tour with SAAB it was puchased by one of the SAAB Tech trainers and spent all of it's life in Chicago and northern MN. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the thing right now. The easiest would be to find a differant shell and transfer the VIN plates and turbo specific stuff.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonracer View Post
I just picked up a pre-production 77-99 turbo. It was the actual car from the original Road & Track road test. The car is REALLY trashed out now. Severly rusted and alot of stuff missing on the engine. After it's tour with SAAB it was puchased by one of the SAAB Tech trainers and spent all of it's life in Chicago and northern MN. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the thing right now. The easiest would be to find a differant shell and transfer the VIN plates and turbo specific stuff.

I wondered if anyone was going to pick that up. I thought about trying to buy it as a parts car, but that didn't feel right.

The pictures I saw made me think it was not saveable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-20-2007, 06:48 AM   #4
c900 Grognard
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregabbott View Post
The pictures I saw made me think it was not saveable.
Same with that '84 Aero (one of five in the world), but that that guy is currently restoring it!

I say save it! Worse comes to worse you sell it down the line to the saab heritage collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe
Korean wheels, man. Like catnip for the ladies.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:02 AM   #5
Elder

Like Greg said, It's not savable. It will have to be used as parts to make something. Too maney of the specific parts are gone. There are no bottoms to the rearquarter panels left either. The best part of the car is the interior which is marginal at best
Old 12-20-2007, 07:07 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
Put it on ebay, and we'll email CAS & GM for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations
Old 12-20-2007, 07:10 AM   #7
Elder

Just tell them to contact me. I've already sold them one car and a buch of parts for the black SPG they just restored. I don't the contact info for Greg Mull anymore.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #8
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonracer View Post
I just picked up a pre-production 77-99 turbo. It was the actual car from the original Road & Track road test. The easiest would be to find a differant shell and transfer the VIN plates and turbo specific stuff.
I was told about the car over a year ago, and it was suggested I transfer VIN's to the 78T body I have in the garage. It would have been alot cheaper for Tim to just send me the VIN's in the mail, instead of me going to MN to pick up a rotted shell.

Transferring VIN's is easy enough, but it still ain't the right thing to do.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:22 PM   #9
Elder

Doug,
Whith this car it's the only thing you could do. She is a real rat.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:27 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Wasn't the pre production one without a sun roof or something?

^CLICK ME^
Old 12-20-2007, 07:46 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

Send a message via MSN to Ajax
Congrats (I think) on your purchase Moonracer. It must be nice to own a bit of saab heritage/history, its just a shame its unsavable.

Are you leaning more towards restoring it to factory once youve transferred and saved everything you can to another car, or more towards monstering it?

Or perhaps you can make a glass coffee table out of the engine internals or something?

I Come From The Land Of Plenty.

'72 2L 99: Project
Old 12-21-2007, 01:51 AM   #12
TSLMember

Marty,

It's just something I couldn't do, and then say afterwards "yep, it's an original '77 Turbo, the VIN proves it!"

They all can't be saved. Just a shame a piece of history was allowed to get so bad.

The one in my garage should have went to the crusher, but the pictures I saw of it before I went to DC to get it really didn't look that bad. Other than the rotted body, locked up engine, trashed interior, and unknown 4spd condition, and a few thousand hours of work, it should be good as new.

Did I ever tell you that Tim at East of Sweden cut up a rot free 78T body and sent me the sheet metal, just so I could patch the rotted one I have?
Old 12-21-2007, 08:49 AM   #13
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Quote:
The 99 Turbo was identifiable by its badges, front and rear spoilers, and ugly 15 x 5.5 alloy wheels.
haha!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:08 AM   #14
Elder

This car never had the wheels or the badges, Remember it was pre-production. The only differance is the spoiler had two big holes for cooling and a funny guage mounted on top of the dash. It has or had regular EMS wheels and even had the ems sticker on the trunk. It is an EMS Turbo
Old 12-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #15
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Saabotaged900T
What about the legality of swapping VINs? Isnt the VIN stamped on the body/frame somewhere? I remember seeing a thread regarding a shop in PA that bought a Buck Grand National GNX that was involved in a fatal accident, and swapped the VIN tags over to a clean t-type regal or GN (cant remember offhand)
The rarity and originality was an issue at stake being it was one of 547 examples.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #16
TSLMember

There are three VIN locations on a 99. A tag pop riveted onto the dashboard on the left side, one pop riveted on the driver side jamb, and one stamped into the top of the rear seat rail. The stamped one would be the most difficult to replace, but that just involves cutting some welds and welding the other rail in place.

There were only 100 '77 EMS Turbo test cars imported.

The list is here

http://saabpics.com:3000/gallery2/v/...ff/99testcars/

Only 4 of the original 100 are known to still exist

Linnea K #951
Marty Adams #993
Larry Gesch #992
Rich Kushner #934

Legally, it's most likely a no-no to swap a VIN, even if it is just a 30 year old Saab, but I highly doubt any DMV/law enforcement agency would have the ability to find it out if it was ever done to a 99. I was gearing more toward an ethical obligation of not trying to pass off such a rare car as something it's not. Numbers matching or not, it just wouldn't be right.

Last edited by dougsaab; 12-23-2007 at 07:10 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:18 AM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
I have to agree with Doug. It's one thing if the car is a driver that simply has no title and you want to be able to drive it legally, but swapping onto another car for the rarity sake of the other cars VIN number is another matter... I have done the vin swaps on 900's that had no title and were physically clean from rusty cars that were all shot but had a clean title, but never for anything but the purposes of being able to drive or sell them. If you are doing it for the purposes of having an original car, I am of the opinion that as much of the original car should be salvaged as possible. That way you can say "Yep, this is an original 1977 99 turbo Test car" not just "this is a reshelled saab 99 turbo test car that was originally a 1980 GLE that some old lady drove in Florida for the past 30 years"

Last edited by DeLorean; 12-23-2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:12 AM   #18
Elder

That's the delema with this car. Too rare to part out, but too far gone to restore. I have a feeling that when it's all said and done there will be one less 77 EMS Turbo on the list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in