Saab 99 Rally Cam - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2007, 08:49 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Send a message via MSN to Ajax
Question Saab 99 Rally Cam

Hi all,

Its been a while since I've posted on here - work committments have kept me very busy these last few months. Some of you might recall I have a blue NA 99 Im restoring. I made a thread a while back called "Project Resurrection." Progress has been made on it, but more on that in a minute.

Ive come across a saab guy here in Australia who really knows his stuff. He's worked for Saab Australia and with saabs for over 20 years. He has a cam (for the 99 B Motor) from the proper saab rally team but he is unsure of the grind. I think he grabbed it because saab were throwing it out (like they did with heaps of good stuff). Im considernig putting it into my 99 (whose engine I am completely stripping down, overhauling, and rebuilding with go-faster bits), but I'd like to find out more about the cam before I confirm anything. Does anybody have any info regarding the cams that the Saab rally team used? Were the rally cars turbonated or NA? How would the cam compare to say, a performance street cam from MSS (for example is it super lumpy like a track cars' cam would be or is it smoother and ok for a street car)? I realise that having a look at the cam would help a lot, but unfortunately I dont have any pictures. Im hoping one of you out there has experience with them as I assume there isnt a whole lot of info out there on them! Any info at all is greatly appreciated.

Slow but steady progress has been made to my car. Ive got a new custom radiator and overflow tank (will upload pictures later on if people are interested). Ive handed the gearbox over to my 'saab guy' and he is going to turn it into 5spd and put an lsd in it - it'll be bulletproof when i get it back. What else? Oh, Ive got a new fusebox (a sqaure one out of a 9000 i think) which im relocating to ther other side of the bulkhead to give room to the overflow tank. Yesterday I picked up '93 900 front and rear suspension, 9000 front rotors and brake calipers (which are waaaaaay bigger and better than the 99's), doors off the same '93 900 so now ill have pillar mounted elec mirrors, elec windows, and central locking. Oh, Ive also got a 900 turbo rear spoiler which I intend to get copied into fibreglass and moulded into the boot to look like one piece. I dont know whether I mentioned this in a previous post or not, but i also have twin 48mm dell'orto side draught carbs and the MSS inlet manifold to go with it. These will go on when the engine is rebuilt.

So all in all, a lot of work to do that'll keep myself and the friend who's helping me, going for a long time.

Cheers!
Ajax.

I Come From The Land Of Plenty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'72 2L 99: Project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2007, 09:06 AM   #2
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Yes!

I do remember your project!

I know nothing about the cams, but I would like to see more pictures...
Old 10-22-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
i remember your project thread too! and i also no nmothing of trhose cams! and i'm drunk!

but i think your 99 is awsome and like the innovative "mods" you speak of. please keep us updated and post some pics. we're vultures around here and without eye candy, we start to get....."aggressive".
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 10-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
I remember you. Lets see new pix!

^CLICK ME^
Old 10-25-2007, 11:27 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

i think the general concensus here is that - we are pic hungry! we want Saab p0rn!
Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Thanks for all your enthusiasm! The car, along with most of the photos are at my mates place, so I dont have access to them here at home. Ill get him to email some of them so I can chuck them up.

I do have these photos of the MSS manifold and the dell'orto's. Might have posted these before, not sure. Anyway:

Old 10-29-2007, 09:18 PM   #7
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Very nice!
Old 10-29-2007, 10:10 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
very nice, that MSS intake looks sweet, almost makes me want to build up a fire breathing N/A monster engine to put in my EMS...almost.

Paul

Old 10-29-2007, 11:28 PM   #9
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
very nice, that MSS intake looks sweet, almost makes me want to build up a fire breathing N/A monster engine to put in my EMS...almost.
Heheh dont worry, I intend to do it myself. I'll just send you the pictures - cheaper for you that way!

My mate has sent me some of the pictures.

This is an old one. We're testing the electric water pump here. It worked a treat. When it goes on the car permanently we're going to set it up so that the pump and fan runs for about 30secs after we turn the car off. It'll help prevent heat soak. We tried it and it works very well. It'll be mounted down in front of the wheel well, out of the way.

While we were testing the pump it actually blew a Welsh Plug out the exhaust side of the block. There must have been a blockage in the system, so the pressure just built up. Had to take the exhaust off to replace it, so I decided to paint it with heatproof paint. The car will end up with the MSS exhaust headers in the end.

This is me showing the back of the radiator from PWR. The 12inch Spal fan only just fits! The radiator inlet pipe actually goes inside the radiator and curves downwards, stopping about 1/3 of the way down. This is so more of the water passes through the middle of the rad instead of just crossing along the top.

A close up shot showing the welding jobs the PWR lads did. Looks pretty good, no? The radiator is basically the same dimensions as the original, but you can see from this test fitting its slightly thicker. 3 inches, from memory.

Some more shots of the test fitting. You can see in the second shot the car now has the twin carb setup on it, instead of the single carb seen in earlier in the shot where the pump is being tested.

This shows just how little clearance there is between the radiator and the front of the clutch assembly. Its about 5mm (0.2 inches). Its not an issue now as the new gearbox will have a different cover plate on it which is much smoother and doesnt protrude anywhere near as much.

This is the overflow tank. Its a bit trapezoidal in shape. The fuse box is being relocated to the other side of the bulkhead so we had room for a bigger tank. Because its going to be mounted directly on top of the wheel well, The bottom is angled so that the top sits flat.

This is the side closest to the outside of the car. The curved pipe goes down to where the water pump will be. The big tabs will be cut down to size/shape and used to mount the thing.

The schedule has all been changed (thanks to the engine being pulled), so now it looks like the car will get repainted and the engine completely stripped down and rebuilt with 'go-fast bits' before it all goes back together. Who knows when I'll get the cash together to do that?!?!

Last edited by Ajax; 10-29-2007 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:24 AM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
Heheh dont worry, I intend to do it myself. I'll just send you the pictures - cheaper for you that way!

haha no kidding! I've decided to go the (slightly) easier route, and just make a monster turbo B motor, definintely cheaper than an N/A build, but not entirely without difficulties. I like those electric water pumps, but cant bring myself to pay that much money for a glorified pool pump!

Paul

Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Wow, that's alot of great stuff!

Nice finger by the way.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:31 AM   #12
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Do you know about saabrally.com? Its run by a saab rally team in the states. They run 99's as well.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:34 AM   #13
Elder

Wow, neat-o project

2001 9-3 - Nordic Stage 3
2007 9-5 2.3T Wagon

Old 10-30-2007, 10:01 AM   #14
Elder

Send a message via AIM to saabsbreakdown
cam shops do free profiling. that means they put it in a machine and it gives you a datasheet print out with all the specs on your cam.

Car 178 - 1975 Saab 99 EMS

Old 10-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via MSN to liketheword Send a message via Yahoo to liketheword
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsbreakdown View Post
cam shops do free profiling. that means they put it in a machine and it gives you a datasheet print out with all the specs on your cam.
Thank you. It's about time someone mentioned that. I just stumbled across this tread now and as I was reading I was thinking that the whole time. Honestly I think that is your best bet. A picture is one thing but it certainly isn't accurate. I would still like to see a pic of course! Just for the wow factor
Old 10-30-2007, 10:49 AM   #16
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
Damn man, very nice project. Lots of nice new toys there.

^CLICK ME^
Old 10-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
very very neat project. keep us in the loop!
Old 10-30-2007, 06:05 PM   #18
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to HotRodLarry Send a message via Yahoo to HotRodLarry
This thread has my attention... shiny parts...

Old 10-30-2007, 07:19 PM   #19
Avid TSL User

hmmm, looks very interesting. Might have to pop round and have a look

1978 99 Turbo
2000 9-3 Viggen
2002 RenaultSport Clio
2005 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Old 10-31-2007, 07:48 AM   #20
Avid TSL User

Thanks for all the positive responses

Unfortunately i dont own the cam, the saab guy I mentioned at the start does. But I do intend to make an offer on it. He said he's had it for ages, so hopefully Ill be able to get a good deal. If not, then I guess it'll be back to my original plan of using a lumpy MSS one.

Thanks also for the tip about saabrally.com. Pretty sure ive been there before but didnt even think to ask them for advice or info. Definitely something I should do.

My next opportunity to work on the car will be friday week. Not sure exactly what we're planning on doing. Could be finishing off the fusebox relocation, could be removing the 99's suspension, or, more likely, it will be the cleaning of the new parts we got so theyre ready to go on when the time comes. I'll take a few more pics and keep you all posted. I wish I had of taken a photo of my mates ambulance loaded up with the doors and suspension and everything though!

@ bremund: Wow, Im surprised to see another aussie on here. I thought I was the only one! Im not actually in Sydney, I'm down Wollongong way. But I'm sure we can organise something sometime - I can assure you the car isnt much to look at at the moment!

Last edited by Ajax; 10-31-2007 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Left a bit out...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in