EMS updates, will it make it to SOC?!?! - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
EMS updates, will it make it to SOC?!?!

so, initially i thought i wasnt going to make it to SOC with the 99, but ive been trying recently to get it to a point where i could reasonably trust it to make the trip, really not that hard to do as it is pretty mechanically sound for its age. first order of business was to fix the "minor" (read that as major ) fuel leak i had going. I had initially thought that it was just the lines that needed replacing, but it became evident that it was more than that. turns out that the fuel pump, which is mounted in the spare tire well in this car, outside the tank, was leaking. it has a couple o-rings that seemingly are made out of regular rubber, and my guess is that the ethanol blended fuel killed them and made it leak. so no problem right? just get a new pump! ha! not a possibility, as far as i know, nobody sells them, and i couldnt even find a good used unit. so i rigged up a bosch roller unit that was originally from a 900t, in the same basic place as the old pump, easier than i thought:

when its all installed, ya cant even tell its not stock

the other issue i was having was some concerning noises from the alternator, like the bearings were going out. again, not a small thing to fix, as i dont have any good 99 alternators here, and didnt want to have to buy one, so i made a 900 one fit. had to do some creative fixing, since the mounting holes on the alternator were too big for the bracket in the car, and the bracket couldnt be taken off the engine with the engine in the car! luckily the metal spacers from a c900 exhaust manifold stud fit right into the holes on the alternator, letting me pop the original fastners in. easy!

old alternator:

new:

so i was feeling pretty confident, took it for a test drive and it was running good, good voltage, fuel pump worked fine...new suspension clunk...sounds pretty bad. so i head home, and upon further inspection, the inner tie rod has crapped out, or so i thought. it was a bit worse than that, the manual racks in these cars have these plastic bushings that the inner shaft slides on, or at least they should, mine looked like this:

its supposed to look like this

so basically, its undriveable at this point, but i think i have enough bits and pieces to rebuild a good rack and get it all set before SOC, since of course, these plastic bushings are another fun 99 part that fails all the time, and you cant get anymore only time will tell...

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PaulH; 08-13-2007 at 10:16 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2007, 05:49 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
don't forget about the fact that the alternator that was installed was of the internal voltage regulator type, and the one that came out was a 3 wire external regulator type...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-14-2007, 06:25 AM   #3
Elder

oh the joys of driving old cars fix one thing and two more things rear their ugly head!!! It's taking shape from the sound of things, hope to see it at SOC

Old 08-14-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to HIDSPG
Yeah that car is so cool. No notchback but I hope it can make the trip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
Elder

It will be interesting to see how long the roller pump lasts. Suposedly they need to be submerged to keep them cool. We've been running ours externally all season on the race car. On my sons Porsche, it has the same pump externally mounted from the factory!!
Old 08-14-2007, 07:08 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
if you look at how they work, it is not being submerged in fuel that keeps them cool, it is the fuel itself flowing through the unit that cools them. they actually pump the fuel itself around the motor assembly internal to the pump. Many cars run them externally, Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
yeah im not terribly concerned about the longevity, though this one is a particularly bad example, it sounded like there was something jingling around in it whe i installed it definitely going to bring a spare with, but its easy to change so no big deal.

Paul

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in