Paint job recommendations? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2007, 10:39 PM   #1
Avid TSL User

Paint job recommendations?

So, it's time to repaint the 78T in original cardinal red. Can anyone recommend a good body shop in the Seattle area? A few dings need to be smoothed out and I'm not even gonna try doing bodywork.

Leif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2007, 11:02 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to saabsbreakdown
Scanwest Autosports.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Car 178 - 1975 Saab 99 EMS

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsbreakdown View Post
Scanwest Autosports.
hahaha this is funny... he asked the same question on the SCS list and the only person to reply was dad and he said the same exact thing!

Old 05-18-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Tikka
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroDynamic View Post
hahaha this is funny... he asked the same question on the SCS list and the only person to reply was dad and he said the same exact thing!
I saw that too, pretty funny.

Quote:
Which is fine. Because another guy got hit by a deer. Yes, a deer ran into a man.
Old 05-18-2007, 11:55 AM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikka View Post
I saw that too, pretty funny.
Well, we both have seen their work and its amazing. I'm sure its not cheap, but if you wanted cheap you would be going to maaco or earl schieb.

I hear community colleges are a good place to go to get cheap stuff done, you only have to pay for materials.

Anyone who saw the red 96 that was 'blacked out' that showed up at our picnic for awhile, that was a maaco paint job I guess.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:36 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

Yeah, I'm shotgunning this out there to get an idea of where to start asking. I don't think getting a cheapo job will pay in the long run, so I'll look into Scanwest. Are there any more Morleys out there with a recommendation?

Old 05-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #7
TSLMember

Quinn I may be able to get you a good deal from a friend of mine here in renton @ American auto painting. Let me know..I'll make a phone call.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueMonster View Post
Quinn I may be able to get you a good deal from a friend of mine here in renton @ American auto painting. Let me know..I'll make a phone call.
It's okay mike, I got a few quarts of tractor paint and a nice tree for shade. we'll get it done!

Old 05-24-2007, 07:34 AM   #9
SAABeginner

if your daring enough you can try the Tremclad (rustoleum) method... i painted my hood with it and was really happy with the results. Body work is easy as long as you have time and patience... i spend about 15 hours on the hood from start to finish, stripping paint, welding in trim holes, rough sand/bondo, high build primer, more bondo, paint and lost of wet sanding.

heres a link giving a good example of it...

http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

Sorry in advance for the Volvo content

here some pictures of my results:

Old 05-25-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
Elder

Wow thats quality work. Better than I see from the body shop next door to my work, even!

Old 05-29-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsbreakdown View Post
Wow thats quality work. Better than I see from the body shop next door to my work, even!
thanks... i actually suck at body work... its all about time and patience. Also never expect anything to go right the first time.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:36 PM   #12
Elder

http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx

Old 05-29-2007, 06:08 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
a flat hood 242 with E-codes? quite the rarity. I saw a flat hood 242 turbo in the junk yard about a year ago, the thing was damn near flawless!
Old 05-31-2007, 06:56 AM   #14
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
a flat hood 242 with E-codes? quite the rarity. I saw a flat hood 242 turbo in the junk yard about a year ago, the thing was damn near flawless!
yeah... there might be another one on the way no e-codes though... I just sold that car to my bro

back to the topic:
If willing to take a chance it well worth giving the Tremclad/rustoleum method a try it can always be easily painted over by a job body so if your not happy with it
Old 05-31-2007, 07:12 AM   #15
Elder

Send a message via AIM to laxian55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biesey View Post
If willing to take a chance it well worth giving the Tremclad/rustoleum method a try it can always be easily painted over by a job body so if your not happy with it
my buddy has a pretty beat 95 hardbody and he doesnt have the money for a legit paint job yet, so we are trying your method out here in a cpl weeks

Old 05-31-2007, 11:54 AM   #16
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxian55 View Post
my buddy has a pretty beat 95 hardbody and he doesnt have the money for a legit paint job yet, so we are trying your method out here in a cpl weeks
SWEET!!! post pictures on how it turns out i would like to see other people results... the only other people that I know that painted there cars used either Flat black or chalk board paint (this car friggen rules)
Old 05-31-2007, 11:57 AM   #17
Elder

yea those are the other colors he was thinking of, i showed him your results and we decided what have we got to lose. Not sure on a color yet though. Its lowered and on its way to becoming a clean ultra lowbudget mini. Any ideas on colors that this work in?

Old 05-31-2007, 11:58 AM   #18
Elder

Send a message via AIM to AeroDynamic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif 78T View Post
Yeah, I'm shotgunning this out there to get an idea of where to start asking. I don't think getting a cheapo job will pay in the long run, so I'll look into Scanwest. Are there any more Morleys out there with a recommendation?
Yes another morley chiming in here....

"Scanwest"

Old 06-03-2007, 10:16 PM   #19
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxian55 View Post
yea those are the other colors he was thinking of, i showed him your results and we decided what have we got to lose. Not sure on a color yet though. Its lowered and on its way to becoming a clean ultra lowbudget mini. Any ideas on colors that this work in?
k i need to stop thread jacking.... but colours that are easier to work with are the darker ones, except black. It all depends what your painting over... if its primer then you should be good with any one of tremclad/rustoleum/ other enamals colour. I believe there is one product at home depot that is same as rustoleam except they can mix a colour for you.

sorry again for the threadjacking
Old 06-04-2007, 05:51 AM   #20
Elder

his truck is black now and half primered and i realize that would be a hard color to get to turn out well. I want him to paint it dark gray, we'll primer the rest first obviously.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in