Project 'Resurrection' - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2007, 08:57 PM   #21
Avid TSL User

Send a message via MSN to Ajax
Yeah, Ive been dealing with Jack at MSS for a while now. Ive even got their manifold already

When we spoke to him about our plans he said we should be able to get close to 180bhp quite easily. Still, I'll just keep doing everything as planned and see what I end up with at the end. Im sure I'll be happy with it - especially since it'll way more than the 95 standard ponies!

Thanks for the link, but Ive also been to that site as well. I want to get the turbo air-damn from them. Im just too scared of the shipping to aus - it'll probably cost a mint.

I'm sure I posted these ages ago in another thread, but here they are again anyway.

I Come From The Land Of Plenty.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'72 2L 99: Project
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2007, 09:02 PM   #22
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
damn thats sexy

^CLICK ME^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-17-2007, 09:39 PM   #23
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Oh MAN that's hot.

Wow.

Old 12-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #24
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to chriscam84 Send a message via Skype™ to chriscam84
What a cool project!!!

I love that 99

So... why can't you drive a forced induction or v8 powered car? is there some age limitation? If so that's really dumb, since you wouldn't be able to drive any sort of a newer Saab (all turbo past 1998, or at least here in the US).

2002 9-5 Aero JZW 5+
1999 9-3 Turbo
1995 900SE Turbo Convertible Nordic Stg II
1995 900S Convertible
Old 12-17-2007, 11:52 PM   #25
Elder

Send a message via AIM to saabsbreakdown
You didn't get that manifold from MSS though did you? they haven't made them in years. We have one of those too, my dad is going to put it on his daily driver eventually (1975 99). He is installing a H-motor 8 valve and 5 speed in it over his christmas break from work. It will still be CIS injection for now, with the carbs coming down the road.

Me, I plan to go the megasquirt route.

Car 178 - 1975 Saab 99 EMS

Old 12-23-2007, 06:37 PM   #26
Avid TSL User

Thanks for the positive comments! I cant wait to get them on the car, but that wont happen until the gearbox and engine are rebuilt. The engine's not even in the car atm. It does have the twin SU carbs on it at the moment though, which i bought second hand. When my mate and I put the SU's on the car and tried to start it, it eventually fired but leaked fuel like a sieve all over the block and right near some wires...so we thought it was best to stop!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscam84 View Post
So... why can't you drive a forced induction or v8 powered car? is there some age limitation? If so that's really dumb, since you wouldn't be able to drive any sort of a newer Saab (all turbo past 1998, or at least here in the US).
Nah, its a skill limitation - a law that only came into effect a few years ago. A few years ago we had a whole lot of kids on their provisional licenses crash their cars and kill people. It culminated in one dude taking his dads monstered R33 skyline out (without his dads permission when his dad wasnt home) and wrapping it around a tree, along with himself and two other occupants. That was the final straw - there was a huge public outcry to slow down younger drivers. This is all in my state mind you, not australia wide. My state has shedloads of hoons and the like - pretty sure theres more than any othre state. Because of that every year or so it gets harder and harder to get your license, and punishments get more severe. There's a new law in the works (or maybe its already in effect) that states if you get busted for hooning around (drag racing, negligent/dangerous driving etc) your car gets taken away and crushed into a cube (you now have 15 minutes to move your cube...) Im not sure what the deal is with burnouts and stuff. I think your car gets taken away for a month but not crushed.

So yeah im planning on making it a high powered NA, and then sometime down the track just dropping the c/r, changing the cam, and turboing it. Ive thought about running the turbo on carbs for something different (which i know will be difficult and require constant tuning), but I probably wont. Thought about keeping the mss manifold and using quad throttle bodies instead of one big one in front of a plenum, but who knows....thats a long way away

At the moment I'm aiming to put two small scoops on the side of the car. One on each side between the indicator and the bumper (see pic). They'll be the same size and shape as the indicators, so hopefully they wont look too out of place and will blend in nicely. They'll feed cold air into the space in front of the front wheel wells. The left hand side one will provide air for the engine, with a spiffy apexi pod filter bolted to the bulkhead inside the space there. A big pipe going from the engine side of the bulkhead will feed air from the pod up to a plenum. Im hoping the plenum wont eat up too much of the sweet carb induction noise - opinions seem to be divided on this front from people I've spoken to. One thing I definitely want is a sweet induction sound.

The one on the right hand side of the car will feed air to an oil cooler. The oil filter will probably be relocated to this location as well. Then if/when the car is turbo'd later on, it'll all be swapped over so the right hand side one can feed the turbo inlet.

The only problem with the carbs is that they're about 0.5 inch too tall when mounted on the car using the mss manifold. So it means im going to have to put a bonnet bulge in so they'll fit. Im worried it will look odd having the bulge because it will have to be right where the crease in the bonnet is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsbreakdown View Post
You didn't get that manifold from MSS though did you? they haven't made them in years. We have one of those too, my dad is going to put it on his daily driver eventually (1975 99). He is installing a H-motor 8 valve and 5 speed in it over his christmas break from work. It will still be CIS injection for now, with the carbs coming down the road.

Me, I plan to go the megasquirt route.
In fact I did get it from MSS June or July this year I think it was. Your dads daily driver sounds interesting. Does the H-motor drop straight into the 99's engine bay? They had a 16v head as well didnt they? I really like how he's switching it to carbs - Ill take carbs over injection anyday of the week!

Im going to sound ignorant, but Ill ask anyway....what exactly is the megasquirt and why does everyone love it/prefer it over the CIS?

Scoop Location

Old 01-11-2008, 03:42 PM   #27
Avid TSL User

Fuse Box Relocation

Here's a small update on whats been happening lately. Spent a few hours yesterday afternoon with my mate installing a new fuse box and gutting the interior, in preparation of all the extra wires we have to run when the 900 doors go on (as they have power mirrors and windows, and central locking).

I bought this fuse box to replace the crappy standard one. Pretty sure its off a 9000. I wanted to mount it in a different location to the original 99 one because I need that space for my overflow tank. We managed to stuff it down between the wheel well and the door frame. We had to remove the bonnet release assembly to get the fuse box to fit, but thats ok because I'm still not sure exactly how I want the bonnet released. If I decide to retain the original system, Ill move it to the other side of the car. Removing the bonnet release assembly left a 2 inch wide hole into the interior, so we'll have to patch up shortly. Drilled a hole for the wiring loom as far down as we could. Then fabricated an aluminium bracket for it to clip onto. The left hand side of the box is going to be bolted to the wheel well for extra strength. The fuse box fits in there quite snugly, and we are still able to remove the lid with only a minimal amount of manuevering around the bodywork.

This is where the wiring look will now come through.

A better view.

Circular hole is for the wiring loom, the rectangular one is the hole left my the bonnet release mechanism.

Aluminium bracket. This will get painted when the car is resprayed.

You can see the two holes on the left hand side of it. We'll glue some nuts there and thread a screw through from the wheel well.

Finished product.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:05 PM   #28
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
Very cool! I have a renewed interest in your project since I just bought a 99. I love how yours is coming together.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:15 PM   #29
Avid TSL User

Thanks! I should have an update soon - for when the suspension comes back from the powder coaters and we install it in the car. Im dying to see what it looks like! I should get it back this week, but unfortunately im going away for a week, so I probably wont see it until early feb.

Tell us about your car. Is it the 74 99LE from your sig? Got any plans for it or is it just going to be a daily run-about?

Oh, and pics - we must have pics!

Old 01-22-2008, 06:03 AM   #30
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax View Post
Tell us about your car. Is it the 74 99LE from your sig? Got any plans for it or is it just going to be a daily run-about?

Oh, and pics - we must have pics!
Yea, its the '74LE. I'll make a post soon, complete with pics.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:52 PM   #31
Avid TSL User

Just a quick update. Not much has been happening lately due to xmas and a quick holiday taking away most of my funds.

Ive spoken to my saab guy and he's organising all new rubber bushes for my car, as well as front and rear retractable seatbelts, and the control unit for the central locking that the doors i got ages ago have.

Im still waiting on my suspension to come back from the powder coaters though - getting kinda annoyed by how long its taking.

With any luck Ill have all that stuff and my suspension by next friday - which means ill be able to spend that day putting it all in.

A quick question for all you knowledgeable people - can the 2L B motor take a cylinder bore increase of 3mm? Apparently the pistons from the 2.1L will drop straight in if it can.

Thanks.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:03 AM   #32
Avid TSL User

My shinies.

Well I finally got my suspension back from the powder coaters, and it looks better than I thought it would. I got a good deal on it too - $200 for the lot, and that was after I told the guy that I had been roughly quoted at $250. Its kinda hard to see, but in some of the pics you can see the silver sparkly bits in the orange. Doesnt help that today was so overcast. The sway bar turned out awesome - its my favourite piece. The blue is quite intense.

Also got the bushes today as well as the control unit for the cental locking and electric mirrors. Managed to get most of the bushes in, but it seems we are missing a few as well, so i'm just waiting for them to be delivered.

Now comes the fun job of pulling the old suspension, removing the exhaust (since it wont be used anymore), and then lightly scrubbing and painting the underside of the car in chassis black. Then putting the new stuff in. I cant wait to put the new stuff in - it'll be the first shiny/clean thing to go on the car since the project started. Ive got other new stuff for the car (like the radiator and overflow tank) but none of it has gone on yet.

All the shinies.

You can see the silver flake in this one and the next.

Ooooh...blue.

Before...

...and after. You can see on the bottom of the left hand orange arm that we chipped some of the coating while putting the bush in. That bush on both arms were absolute asses to put in - and theyre not even in properly yet. We'll do something to protect those bare areas before it goes on the car.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:41 PM   #33
TSLMember

That is truly superb.

I have been gathering parts all over the place for my 99 project but like you I am starting with the suspension and have the 900 parts ready. I am just deciding what to do with them. I was going to wire brush them and paint them myself but the shot cleaned and powder coated finish is fantastic.

Well done young man!

1992 2.1 900
1974 96 V4
Old 02-10-2008, 12:13 AM   #34
Avid TSL User

Thanks mate.

I highly recommend powder coating your susp instead of painting it. The powder is more durable, and theres a shedload of less arduous work in it for you as well! Its also good because all the bits will get acid bathed so theyre super clean before the coating goes on (I got my axle shot peened because the acid bath wasnt big enough for it, and i didnt think it was a good idea to acid bath it anyway). The guys primed the axle before coating it, thats why its all smooth again. The powder apparently doesnt take too well to a really coarse surface like a shot peened one.

And even if you didnt pick a flashy colour like I did, i reckon they'd still look great in black or silver. It just makes it all look like new.

Oh, a belated welcome to the forum from me too Have you posted pics of your cars yet? What sort of plans do you have for your 99 project?

Old 02-10-2008, 01:11 AM   #35
TSLMember

There have been no real developments on the 99 yet. The 96 tends to steal my time. I am taking the engine out of the 96 again to overbore up to 1855cc and do all the jobs I should have done first time round. When it is back on the road I'll be able to get the 99 in the garage.

In the meantime I am stockpiling parts for the 99 so that I can get the 900 / 9000 suspension and brake conversion done in one hit. I've got all the sus parts lying around so I really need to get them treated and new bushes put in.

I got one of Lukes adjustable panhard rods from SaabRally.com - really nice bit of kit! Will look superb with newly treated sus parts.

Will let you guys know when actual work starts.

Keep up the good work!

1992 2.1 900
1974 96 V4
Old 02-10-2008, 06:32 AM   #36
Avid TSL User

I had a good read of your site - only the 99 section so far. There's some good info on there! A good deal of it I knew already from months of digging up info, but the info on the brake master cylinder was interesting. So what exactly is the deal with that - can we just bolt a 900 or 9K unit on there or is there something I missed? If possible I really need to make mine smaller becuase its kinda in the way of my carbs (and the plenum too eventually) and pipework coming up from my electric water pump. The 99 ones are huge and take up a lot of real estate.

Im not sure what to do about the panhard rod. Ive got the powder coated 900 one there - my saab guy assured us that the 900 would fit, even though everything we had read previously said that we needed a 9000 one. I guess I'll have to make mine adjustable (which is preferable anyway) or get one of those saab rally ones.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 AM   #37
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
very nice! shame youll have to put all those nice shiny pieces under the car where you cant see them.

Paul

Old 02-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #38
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
very nice! shame youll have to put all those nice shiny pieces under the car where you cant see them.
Yeah I know, that kinda sucks. But im happy knowing that theyve been properly cleaned and protected.

And I should be able to see some of the front susp through the engine bay

Old 02-11-2008, 05:05 PM   #39
Elder

Send a message via AIM to drewz airflow se
wow those parts are so hot! did u have to strip the parts before sending them or did they strip it for you.

^CLICK ME^
Old 02-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #40
Elder

I love this thread, this project. Keep it up man!!!

I wish I could magically go to page 9 of the thread and see the final product!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in