99 non-turbo engine/transmission - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Lightbulb 99 non-turbo engine/transmission

As alot of you have probably seen there is a free 99 engine/transmission up for grabs on saabnet. If you havnt please dont try to grab it...

Anyway its a rebuilt motor, but from a non-turbo car. I think a 99/900 megasquirt rally car would be an awsome learning experience/project to undertake and this would get me well on my way.. Soo here are a few questions.

How different is the non-turbo engine from the turbo varient, is adding a turbo onto the engine going to lead me into a long drawnout search for extra engine parts to get the turbo onto the engine? Does a 99 motor/and or transmission fit into a 900 chasis? (gives me extra options in finding cheep donor cars). Are the 4 speed 99 tranmissions better or worse in terms of coping with the extra power compared to a 5 speed 900 transmission? Just trying to get a handle on what I'm up against..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2007, 08:54 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
what year is the engine? if its a later one, you could theoretically put it into a c900, you would just probably need some brackets from an early c900 that you probably could never find

as far as the differences, im not really sure, at the least the pistons should be changed, i wouldnt imagine the non turbo ones would be up for the job. the 4-speed probably isnt any better than the later 5 speeds, the only ones that are actually stronger are a select number of trannys that came in the 78 99t's, pretty rare from the looks of it.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-23-2007, 02:42 PM   #3
Avid TSL User

You'd need sodium cooled exhaust valves in the head too,
non-turbos did not have those.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 02-23-2007, 06:57 PM   #4
Elder

Send a message via AIM to saabsbreakdown
Need is a strong word

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Car 178 - 1975 Saab 99 EMS

Old 02-23-2007, 07:04 PM   #5

and if your messing with the head it is best to adjust valves so they close properly but most likely the head will crack they seem not to hold up to constant abuse especially if you plan on driving like arally car plan to have extras i would recomend a b202t motor
Old 02-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
Elder

there are lots of people with recomendations for rally cars, but few who have them, so the most important thing is to just do something. I will be using a n/a B motor in mine. IMO, the transmission will probably break first on a saab rally car.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:11 PM   #7
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsbreakdown View Post
Need is a strong word
Agreed...

now where did I put that turbocharger for my n/a 8v???
Old 02-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #8
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Need is a strong word
A sodium fortified exhaust valve is a strong exhaust valve...

Seriously, you could run it with a turbo but I got a feeling you'll burn them in short order.

Last edited by Leif 78T; 02-25-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:42 PM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

i know moonracer will be able to tell you about the headaches he had with his 78 Turbo he had when he was younger. he always tells me how he had the boost pushed up to about 10-12 psi and every month he would have to adjust stretched valves, replace burnt valves, or replace cracked heads. he'll prollu be able to tell you himself later this week when meyer gets power and internet

but in the end go ahead and try it and see what happens. do what you need to to make it go like a raped ape.

1979 99 GL "99 Super"
1999 S10 ZR2
1991 Mazda Miata
78' Turbo

Last edited by Saab99Super; 02-25-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:02 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldcs View Post
As alot of you have probably seen there is a free 99 engine/transmission up for grabs on saabnet. If you havnt please dont try to grab it...

Anyway its a rebuilt motor, but from a non-turbo car. I think a 99/900 megasquirt rally car would be an awsome learning experience/project to undertake and this would get me well on my way.. Soo here are a few questions.

How different is the non-turbo engine from the turbo varient, is adding a turbo onto the engine going to lead me into a long drawnout search for extra engine parts to get the turbo onto the engine? Does a 99 motor/and or transmission fit into a 900 chasis? (gives me extra options in finding cheep donor cars). Are the 4 speed 99 tranmissions better or worse in terms of coping with the extra power compared to a 5 speed 900 transmission? Just trying to get a handle on what I'm up against..
I hate to burst your bubble, but a friend of mine got that engine/transmission already. He's putting it in his '80 99.

The Saab enthusiast formerly known as Notchback.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:06 PM   #11

figures, the person on saabnet never replied. Get your friend on saablink so we can get updates on the car though...
Old 02-25-2007, 10:28 PM   #12
Elder

Dude, just watch the legal notices part of your newpaper and grap the first '86 4 door that comes up for abandoned vehicle auction. Should take about 3 days. After a couple weeks you'll have enough 86 4 doors to build several sweet cars. Hahaha.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:49 PM   #13
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
Quote:
Dude, just watch the legal notices part of your newpaper and grap the first '86 4 door that comes up for abandoned vehicle auction. Should take about 3 days. After a couple weeks you'll have enough 86 4 doors to build several sweet cars. Hahaha.
this woudl have worked from about 1992-2003 in Philla, but they are pretty much all gone now. Mostly abandoned early NG-900's with 2.3's or V6's and 9000's at this point.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:30 AM   #14

Send a message via AIM to Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldcs View Post
figures, the person on saabnet never replied. Get your friend on saablink so we can get updates on the car though...
He just joined the other day, I think his username is "Geoff."

The Saab enthusiast formerly known as Notchback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in