99 windshield replacement procedure - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2006, 05:40 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to saabsbreakdown
99 windshield replacement procedure

Anyone have any information about doing this? Luke and his team have recommended to me that I remove all the glass prior to roll cage install, and reluctantly I agree. The 1970 has a perfect window and gasket, and I want to make sure I can do this properly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Car 178 - 1975 Saab 99 EMS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-01-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
ick i dunno, sounds scarry, the folks at the junkards usually run a thin wire through the gasket, and cut the gasket in half...looks like it takes some effort, and if ya did it that way you would need a new gasket, and i bet those are unobtanium. maybe just mask off the windsheild real good and take out all the other glass?

Paul

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
Elder

Thats what I said but they have some good points about welding access. the way you get a good seal is to throw a brick through a windshield to get the good rubber out. I think. Again thats why i posted to ask =)

I'm not totally sure..

Old 11-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #4
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to HotRodLarry Send a message via Yahoo to HotRodLarry
A hammer did the trick on the back window of my '85 900. Little bit of a pain to clean up afterwards, but a shop-vac can take care of it no problem.
Old 11-01-2006, 08:11 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
yeah, you definitely wouldnt want to do that to a 99 front windsheild, but for the back that would do the trick, since im sure hes gonna throw lexan windows in everywhere but the front.

i suppose thats true about the welding access...but yuck, i wouldnt want to take one of those out if i didnt absolutely have to.

Paul

Old 11-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Elder

no, its keeping factory glass.

Yeah i want to keep the front window in. i suppose you could do the welds before you installed that part of the cage you know?

The thing is Luke has it attached to the A-pillar. you would want to weld it from both sides i'd imagine..

Anyway, if anyone has swapped windshields, i'd like to hear about the best way to do it

Old 12-10-2006, 11:58 PM   #7
SAABeginner

Summary advice: Don't attempt to remove it.

I was told that I sourced the last known original Saab 99 windshield available in the US on regular glass distributor networks sometime in 2003. My original windshield was badly pitted and I was able to prove to my insurance company it was a safety hazard and they agreed. It took almost 6 weeks of searching to find the replacement. It was installed by a professional glass installer, and I begged him to try saving the original, but he advised me the chances were near zero of getting a 20+ year old windshield out w/out breaking it. He was right, he broke it w/in minutes of starting on removing it, despite claiming he would "do his best". Typically, people don't remove good windshields, so they don't really worry about breaking what is likely already a broken windshield. Finding a (new) replacement is highly unlikely, although preferable if you can find one. Seals can be sourced, although if you're careful during the removal process, you can usually re-use the seal. Be sure to pay very close attention to the window frame as this is frequently rotted and leads to seeping of rain/snow into the car and overall weakening of the structural components.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:07 AM   #8
GA
Elder

Send a message via Yahoo to GA
Can't you source a new 99 windshield from Europe? There seems to be a number of 99's still running around the UK.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:56 AM   #9
Elder

The most important part of replacing the windshield is get the car in a warm building and let it warm up. Remove the plastic locking strip on the outside if the gasket. Take two flat screw drivers and CAREFULLY work the gasket under the lip in the roof from inside of the car. Be verry carefull around the corners. If you work very carefully you can get it out. You have about a 50/50 chance of breaking it though. Once you get the rubber gasket worked under the lip of the roof get some help and lift it forward.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:25 AM   #10
JK
Elder

I've taken two c900 windshields out...one broke at a lower corner, the other I got out in one pice only to drop a metal bar on it later. Ooops. Anyway, I did it pretty much as Moonracer described.
Old 12-11-2006, 07:11 PM   #11
Elder

I decided to destroy the gasket if I ever take out the windshield, because I have extra gaskets. I plan to use a spare piece of Cutco and a hammer to accomplish this!

I think hardwood shims would work way better than screwdrivers..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in