Finally found a proper project car, or Notchback II - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 01:29 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
Finally found a proper project car, or Notchback II

so long story short, i found this baby http://home.comcast.net/~p_lemasters/
on the TSN classifieds (eek!saabnet!) and went to take a look at it today...and bought it. its in really solid shape body wise, should make a much easier candidate than the other 3 99's i have. heres the issue, the thing has no spark, anybody know anything about the distributors on these cars? i think its got points, but im not even sure of that. plan is to try and get it running and drive it back home here, and eventually stuff a 16v turbo motor in it. first i need to get it started though.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2006, 01:56 PM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
yeah, this looks like a real nice car. it has very minimal rust. I believe the weight with a 16valve turbo will probably be sub 2500 lbs... that would make it around 10lbs per HP with a properly running megasquirted 16 valve 2 liter turbo Now I am no Doctor, but I think it should be silly fast at that power.

We were also discussing the other day, we need to find an old Mercedes 240-D for around the same price to install a junk yard 560SEL V8 into as a “back up” car. Both these swaps should be able to be done in a single weekend, so I can’t find a reason not to… for around $600 investment in both cars we should have a pair of stupidly fast 70’s cars to go out and embarrass just about any modern car on the road with
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-29-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Send a message via AIM to Saabotaged900T
Haha nice find Paul! While looking for a Saab to replace the 9k, I was looking at that 99

Old 10-29-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Hell yeah!

That looks like a great score!

Can't help with the spark though...
Old 10-29-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
ah no way!

I was looing at that car only because it was advertised as being in lancaster so of course it sparked my interest. wish I had known you were going to check it out as I was home this weekend and would have loved to see the actual condition of that car.
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 10-29-2006, 03:14 PM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
looks like a solid car. u giving up on the '78?
Old 10-29-2006, 03:33 PM   #7
Elder

well, maybe not giving up, just putting it on an extended hold, and probably just making it back into a stockish 99t. this is gonna be the wacky fast car.

Paul

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:10 PM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to saabsbreakdown
put the breakerless ignition off one of the 99t's on it would probably be your best bet. because thats the only thing i understand, old distributors confuse me

Car 178 - 1975 Saab 99 EMS

Old 10-29-2006, 04:15 PM   #9
Elder

way to one up my thread!! your car is all put together. =)

im uploading pictures as we speak...

Old 10-29-2006, 05:55 PM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsbreakdown View Post
put the breakerless ignition off one of the 99t's on it would probably be your best bet. because thats the only thing i understand, old distributors confuse me
yeah same here, stupid points, i think im just gonna get points and a condenser for it, and hope for the best. worst case scenario ill just call AAA and tell em they need to tow me the 113 miles back home, should only cost me like $20

Paul

Old 10-29-2006, 11:44 PM   #11
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
Damn Paul!!! Nice score!

Now share a few of those 99's

Can't wait to see the outcome of this beast hehehe This one looks a little more solid than the 99T This should be a good project car for you... and a realistic one.... The rust looks pretty minimal

Old 10-30-2006, 05:12 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Tweek's Turbos
After claremont, 2 years ago, I think they redflagged your AAA acount.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAABseanSCANIA
can be prone to failure due to increased localized stresses in the hole penetrations

Last edited by Tweek's Turbos; 10-30-2006 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-30-2006, 06:02 AM   #13
Trollerator
Elder

I Love That Car! Nice Score

1990 900 turbo vert
2004 9-5 aero sedan
Old 10-30-2006, 06:50 AM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweek's Turbos View Post
After claremont, 2 years ago, I think they redfladded your AAA acount.
yeah, not to mention when i crashed the notchback i had it towed back to my parents house in NY even though i crashed it in PA, it was like a 125 mile tow, i get my moneys worth out of em for sure

Paul

Old 11-09-2006, 05:41 PM   #15
Elder

well we just got the car today, drove home just fine. It was not running when we arrived, but in about 15 min's we had it fully opperational All it took was a new set of plugs wires and a set of points. the reason it was not starting was that the point gap was incorrect. once I had the new points installed & set correctly, it started on the first try. ran home great, no issues except for a lightly slipping clutch. needs more power though
Old 11-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #16
Elder

Can you explain how you replace points to me?

The manual just confuses me. I'm glad none of my cars have the old style distribs.

Old 11-09-2006, 05:49 PM   #17
Elder

Send a message via AIM to StX221
now paul, will it stay that puke brownish color?
or get the flat black treatment?

'02 9-5 Aero
'05 Yamaha R6
Old 11-09-2006, 05:57 PM   #18
Elder

replacing points is easy, you use the same flat head screw you use to set them to change them. obviously you have to go through the setting procedure after this is done, replacing points is about as easy as replacing plug wires, it's the setting them that's tricky.

hard to explain setting them up in text, but I'll try. the distributor has a cam inside it that the points run on, the cam has 4 lobes. you turn the engine by hand till the points are at their maximum open point, this will be on the highest point on one of the 4 cam lobes, it does not matter which one. this is where you set the point gap. you gap them by loosening up the flat head screw that holds the points in, and using a feeler gauge. Set to the spec in the manual. the 99 AFAIR, was .75. it is critical that the engine be at the correct spot as I mentioned before when you gap the points, or it won't work. once you think you have the correct gap, tighten the screw, and spin over the engine again, get it at the top of a cam and re-check the gap. if it's still correct, put it back together and run the car, it should work!

Last edited by DeLorean; 11-09-2006 at 06:05 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 06:00 PM   #19
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by StX221 View Post
now paul, will it stay that puke brownish color?
or get the flat black treatment?
well the pics dont due it justice, the original paint (as far as i can tell) is a copper metallic color, really looks quite nice, like this:

that said, its got rust that needs taking care of, i really do like the original color, but flat black is cheaper...probably what will happen is the lower bits that i have to fix will get flat blacked, but some of the original paint might stay...havent really figured out how im gonna do that...so we'll see.

car runs really well too, i was actually surprised, the speed stopped working halfway through the trip, but i had it to around 5500 rpm in 4th at one point (could have gone faster, but the brakes didnt work, i didnt have a seatbelt, the tires were dryrotted, and the clutch was slipping ) and top speed on this car is apparently 106mph, so i was probably going at least 90.

i cant wait to make it faster

Paul

Old 11-09-2006, 06:28 PM   #20
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Powar
That is so damned cool. I love those cars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in