Quinn's 1970 99 Rally Car Project - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2006, 02:04 AM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to saabsbreakdown
Quinn's 1970 99 Rally Car Project

Alot of you have heard that I am starting a rally car project this winter. Well, I finally picked out the car. Instead of going with the '75 I was going to that had a damaged windshield, I'm going with the already-stripped '70 thats in the yard.

It's a sweet car and I'll post pictures tomorrow. It already has a 900 rear axle and someone already took out the god awful triumph engine for me.

I will be converting to the newer style A-arms (will also box 'em) and it will probably get alot of newer-than-period parts.

My biggest problem is the heater, and the dash.

The heater is way different. I don't have enough parts to make it all work. I want to convert it to the newer 99 style, or even the 900 style. Of course, it doesnt have to be as nice as a normal car, just heat the cabin somehow.

Also the dash is nuts. I have some parts for this year dash but not many. It's totally frickin different. The newer 99 dash is so nice for cutting up to stick fuses and rally computers in!

It's so nice that I fear I'll be afraid to wreck it. Which sucks because I usually make fun of people like that!

Stay tuned..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Car 178 - 1975 Saab 99 EMS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2006, 05:31 AM   #2
Elder

Send a message via AIM to DeLorean
I may be able to get you a 1978 99 heater box assembly with all the controls and fan for pretty cheap if you want it

sounds like a neat project. need pictures.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to spgproject
sounds great, can't wait to see it

Old 10-29-2006, 11:26 AM   #4
Elder

I'll let you hold on to it

I've got to take a better look at this car but I think it will be a royal pain to fit the heater, box, and fan assembly from a newer 99. I do have enough parts already though. JB weld might be used.

I'll try to get some pictures in the next few hours..

Old 10-29-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
Elder

When we first got it, there was a C900 fuse box in the glovebox and it looked like that is where they were going to hook it up! Lots of weird wiring stuff. I think I'll build my own harness from scratch. I'm not sure about the heater still, I don't remember that metal being there on the drivers side. I do have a jigsaw though..

Last edited by saabsbreakdown; 10-29-2006 at 04:21 PM.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #6
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
It sounds like you are taking your usual sutble approach to things this time too.

Have fun!
Old 10-29-2006, 04:37 PM   #7
JK
Elder

That's a winner right there! It's screaming for a 16VT
Old 10-29-2006, 04:44 PM   #8
Elder

Its not getting one until after my first season! I'm focusing on technique. It's getting a B-motor and a 4 speed.

Old 10-29-2006, 04:48 PM   #9
JK
Elder

Good call, good driving is cetainly more important than big power in rally racing.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:51 PM   #10
Elder

Send a message via AIM to PaulH
damn you and your west coast rust free vehicles! i thought the 73 ems i just bought was in good shape, that thing is just rediculous. and ya know it would be easier to put a 8v H in it now, and when you want power, put in the 16vt, that way you wouldnt need to do the firewall mod later...you should just put the 16vt in right away if ya ask me though

Paul

Old 10-29-2006, 06:12 PM   #11
Elder

Send a message via AIM to 90SPG
yeah just put the 16 valve in and leave the wastegate open till you think you can drive it around well enough
"A car with an image so immaculate it can hold confession and communion."
Old 10-29-2006, 07:16 PM   #12
JK
Elder

Hell, put a 16v high compression in there right now (if you are looking to stick with normal asperation). The 16v na is not overly powerful and you can learn to rally on that motor pretty easily I'm sure.

Then you could do a 16vT swap very easy, or you could make a high compression LPT setup that would probably kick major ass and could probably be tunes to have a nice linear powerband.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:19 PM   #13
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by JK9000s View Post
Hell, put a 16v high compression in there right now (if you are looking to stick with normal asperation). The 16v na is not overly powerful and you can learn to rally on that motor pretty easily I'm sure.

Then you could do a 16vT swap very easy, or you could make a high compression LPT setup that would probably kick major ass and could probably be tunes to have a nice linear powerband.
That is a great idea.

Do it.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:26 PM   #14
Elder

yeah no reason to do a B motor really, in rally one of the things you want is reliabilty, so you can acutally make it through a few stages without crap breaking. i wouldnt want to do a water pump on the side of the road personally, if you can avoid an engine with inherent problems, you usually should.

Paul

Old 10-29-2006, 07:33 PM   #15
JK
Elder

Yeah, that's the crappy thing about the B-motor, with the mechanical drive accessories. Wierd shit.

I think the H motor 8v is a great combination of easy to work on, with "old skool" charm. The 16v is certainly less acessible for certain quick repairs, but it's not much worse than the H 8v, and it certainly has more potential than the 8v.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:37 PM   #16
Elder

yeah and if you do the firewall mod properly, like Luke Sorensen's 99 rally car, theres actually a good amount of room to work on the 16v, much more than i had expected actually. basically you just need to cut as much out of the firewall as you think you would need, then cut more.

Paul

Old 10-29-2006, 07:39 PM   #17
Elder

http://www.saabrally.com/ Luke's website, thats the way you put a 16v in a 99.

Paul

Old 10-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #18
Elder

Heres the reason: The motor I took out of the EMS has a new head gasket and only 130,000 on it.

Ok so here is the real question: If I have an electric water pump do I still need to modify the firewall?

I like the B motor. There is no chance of minor failiures, its all or nothing.

I'm open to ideas here. I was planning on focusing my work on the car to suspension and safety stuff and I know 110hp is enough for my first season. The only good 16 valve I have laying around was ran without oil until it stopped moving.

Old 10-29-2006, 09:53 PM   #19
Elder

The 16 valve and the 8 valve are the same, JK

The only difference is the shape of the manifold and the spark plugs are easier to get out!

A dual carb b motor would stomp a n/a 16 valve

Old 10-30-2006, 01:00 AM   #20
User
Elder

Send a message via AIM to zingZACH
You. Suck.

That car is absolutely MINT!!! 100% rust free and you're going to rally it?! God, over here I would put that thing in a damn museum lol.... ugh... makes me want to cry. .... Hell, the thing doesnt even look like it has a dent or scratch in it!

Oh well, if you must rally it, just throw a 16V N/A in it for now or a 16VT with boost turned down... Don't do a B motor.... Like the others said, you want reliability, and those water pumps are notorious for failing....

God I can't believe how rust free that thing is. How much did you pay for it and where did you find such a gem?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabsbreakdown View Post
The 16 valve and the 8 valve are the same, JK

The only difference is the shape of the manifold and the spark plugs are easier to get out!

A dual carb b motor would stomp a n/a 16 valve
I thought you were putting the B motor in to get "used" to rallying.... why would you modify an unreliable and slow motor to go faster than an N/A 16V when you could swap in a stock 16VT in it....

Last edited by zingZACH; 10-30-2006 at 01:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in