Rising values of classic SAABs - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab Vintage Forum > General 99 and 90 Posts and Information

General 99 and 90 Posts and Information Please post general and technical information pertaining to the Saab 99 and 90.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2018, 08:09 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Rising values of classic SAABs

We all know SAAB resale values are seldom determined by KBB or other standardized appraisal systems, as they are severely undervalued. Instead, classic or special edition SAABs sell based on the emotional response they elicit from the hearts and minds of other like-minded SAAB aficionados. I am happy to see the market reflect the value we SAABnuts already see in our cars but, where are we really?

Here are two good examples to start the conversation. Both are from the same seller:

TSN: Retrieving Classified Photo
Are we really at $22,000 for a 150,000 mile SPG, even if it is in excellent condition?

TSN: Retrieving Classified Photo
I understand that this was a $35k+ car when new and that, from many angles this car may appear new, but '91 SE's in excellent condition routinely list for $7,000-$14,000, which makes this price seem unfounded.

The seller bought these from their original owners presumably in the last year or so and I would be very interested to know what those numbers were, because these feel like flips to me. Don't misunderstand me; I am happy to see a strong market for classic SAABS, but I'd hate to see individuals or dealers treating them strictly as investments and exploiting the devotion of their fan base.

Maybe I needn't worry, because the market will self-correct? SAABs after all, while well-engineered, stylish and fun, are practical cars primarily for practical people. What practical car lover, even a SAABnut, would spend $22-35k on one car when they could acquire 3-4 other classic examples for the same price in similar condition? I'd rather drive a different classic every day of the week than drive one too expensive to enjoy properly. I don't think I'm alone here...

...or am I...?
1993 900 Commemorative Edition #50
1995 9000 Aero - Stage 3
1996 900 troll
2002 9-3 Viggen vert - Stage 4
2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2018, 03:15 PM   #2
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

TSN is a readily available pool to cast out a line for suckers

Asking prices are in no way indicative of selling prices. Poke around over at
"Bring A Trailer" if you want to get a more realistic idea of what these cars actually sell for.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-30-2018, 03:52 PM   #3
Drew In Houston
Elder

I wouldn't bother wasting any time on Saabnet.com for anything--especially so as a place to gauge used car prices.

There's so much censoring and selective advertiser-driven narrative spinning there that there's only a loose association with reality.

Last edited by Trionic3000; 01-30-2018 at 04:05 PM.

Old 01-31-2018, 05:27 AM   #4

Prices are rising a bit I think, but not too much and this one is certainly a ridiculous example. Not to say some crazy person won't buy it.

TSN posts a lot of ridiculous stuff including all the Gary Small cars which include, for example, an early 9-5 with 260,000 miles for $4,000. A lot of wild prices on there.

There are still a lot of clean SPGs out there, and they are often for sale.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:15 AM   #5
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daven View Post
The seller bought these from their original owners presumably in the last year or so and I would be very interested to know what those numbers were, because these feel like flips to me.
I think you're absolutely correct, I think the seller got a good deal on them and is now looking for a quick flip with a high margin. That yellow vert has been for sale for some time now, and I think the market shows there isn't support for $35k for a 27 year old Saab. Saabnet has always been the place to go if you want to see sky high prices on Saabs (I'm looking at you, Garry Small).

That said, I'm glad to see the values of the classics on the rise. Like someone else said, I pay attention to the Saab listings on BaT, and not only the transaction prices, but the comments that are active while the auction is live. It's nice to know that there is some appreciation out there for the old cars.

Granted it's not as perfect and has a couple more miles, but BaT got this car sold last year for 18k.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...tible-5-speed/

05 Legacy GT
Old 01-31-2018, 06:39 AM   #6

I haven't spent much time on BAT recently but do you think the "sold" value is legit or are they just saying it is sold AND the asking price was 18k vs. it is sold and the SELLING price was 18k?
Old 01-31-2018, 06:59 AM   #7

As I understand it BaT works like eBay. If the auction ends on a high bid of $18,000, that's what it sold for. I imagine if there was a way for a buyer or seller to alter the deal after the close of the auction it wouldn't be as popular as it is.

The asking prices usually start low, that car started at $1,000, for example. I think MikeD sold a car on there last year, he may be able to chime in here if he sees this.

05 Legacy GT

Last edited by 9Kwrecker; 01-31-2018 at 07:01 AM.
Old 02-08-2018, 05:56 AM   #8
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I know MikeD got exactly what the bidding closed at on BaT.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:32 AM   #9

Speaking of BaT, there's a 35k mile c900 vert closing there today, should be interesting to watch.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-saab-900-3/

05 Legacy GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in