Blower Motor replacement - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > General 9000 Posts and Information

General 9000 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Saab 9000.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2011, 04:30 PM   #1
Elder

Blower Motor replacement

Any tips or tricks on this job?

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Elder

Several.

1) unhook both heater core hoses coming from the bulkhead, and the vacuum line that feeds the boost gauge (they all go through the same rubber grommet in the bulkhead) and pull all of the hoses back through INTO the bulkhead, and tuck them up to the drivers side as much as you can to get them out of the way. You lose some coolant, but having them out of the way is VERY handy. If you have WD40, spray some on the hoses anyway where the blower motor will pass by them to lube them up a little.

2) get an old pillow that you don't care about to set on top of the motor so you can kneel down for extended periods. Old couch cushion works well.

3) unbolt any screw you can find that holds the big A/C evaporator box in place. Allowing it to move around helps. I think there is one or two in the front, then one in the very back passengers corner where the A/C lines tie in.

4) Use a long flathead screwdriver to GENTLY pry back the plastic clips on the very bottom of the blower motor assembly, that hold the giant assembly to the innards of the HVAC system on the car. You need to pry them out about 1/4" to release the blower motor assy. if they break...there will be nothing to hold the assy. in place when you put it back in.
Shine a flashlight down on the very back corner on each side and you'll see; its a plastic flap about 1" x 1" that you pry outward on each side.

5) on the passengers side of the blower motor assembly, you will see a cable coming through from the interior, that hooks to a small plastic arm on the blower motor assy. it adjusts the hot and cold. slide that cable off the little arm its mounted to. Its not attached....it just slides off. no retainer or anything to mess with.

6) On extraction of the blower motor assembly.....this is absolutely friggin CRITICAL......make DAMN sure that every single movement of the blower motor assembly, as you are wrestling to remove it, is done while you are looking at that little arm the wire / cable used to hook to. it is very fragile, and is very easy to break as you are arm-stronging the assembly out. If it breaks, you CAN epoxy it, but its going to break eventually. You'll be going to the junkyard for another assembly if you do.

Take baby steps, the assembly needs to first move downward, then outward, the up and to the right (drivers side).

Sounds like a major pain, but once you have done one, the second takes about 1/10th the time. I did my last one in around 20mins extraction and reinstallation.

If you are installing a whole second blower motor assy, just reverse the instructions. If you have a new motor from eeuro and are changing that in....you will need to remove the plastic squirrel cage that moves the air, and that can easily be a massive pain in the ass without destroying it.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:08 PM   #3
SAAB Road Master

You will need to replace the Foam silencer pad inside the blower housing. Yours WILL be garbage by now. 1" foam sheet can be cut and glued in as a decent substitute.. yer Welcome
Also buy the smaller Flapper... as Most all first timers destroy theirs on reinstalling the blower assembly.
Remember that those 250 K miles are on EVERY single part of your car.
Entropy is difficult to halt, let alone reverse.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!

Old 10-10-2011, 04:07 PM   #4
Elder

I got the unit swapped out this past sat; luckily what I had was the whole motor/housing assembly so I didnt actually have to take it apart just swap. I had my brother sit atop the engine and I helped from the drive side of things and we both massaged it out.

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 07-30-2016, 02:57 PM   #5
SAABeginner

Blower motor and squirrel cage seoaration

Does anyone have any comment on how to remove the plastic squirrel cage that moves the air from the shaft? I have the whole unit out and on the bench, but the plastic squirrel cage does not pull off the shaft.
Thanks!

9000 1996 AERO AT
9000 1997 AERO 5 spd
9-3 Turbo-X 2008
Old 07-31-2016, 03:40 PM   #6
SAABeginner

I did get the fan off the shaft by tapping it after WD-40 overnight.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:22 AM   #7
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Aftermarket blower fan to replace siezed original

6 yrs after I fitted a new heater core the blower fan has failed. I pulled the car apart today to get the blower fan housing out and found the motor siezed. I installed a new aftermarket fan (sourced from PFS in the UK) and I had to modify the motor connections because (a) the motor has spade crimp lugs for the wire connections on the motor and (b) those made it impossible to actually fit the motor into the fan housing!

So I modified them to be identical to how the original Bosch motor does them, and used the spring-clip from the Bosch motor to secure them in place after I'd soldered the wires on and trims the lugs back so the motor would fit into the housing.

pic page

I found the aluminium-backed foam insulator pad completely decayed after 27 yrs and the part is NLA. Can I just forgot about it and not try to create a replacement? Oddly, the two rubber 'throttle valve' shutters both seem to still be available.

The false firewall has lots of rust growing inside it's paint so that's all got to be dealt with. Both of the aquarium drains were unblocked so there was a lot of plant gunk under everything but no build up of water so there's only a small area of new surface rusting there.

New genuine blower fans appear to be completely NLA now so the only choices are, if you're lucky, to maybe find brand new genuine Bosch motors and try to get the old fan blade piece off to attach to a new motor, or get one of the aftermarket fans like I have.

Hoping to be the start of getting the AC repaired and working after 7 yrs of it being dud. Driving in 30+ C summer days with no working cabin fan plus no AC in the first place is not pretty.

Craig.

Last edited by c900; 01-01-2018 at 02:25 AM.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:06 AM   #8

I was just here myself. No better parts availability here in the US. Only new units I came up with were "ProParts Sweden", which is a brand I avoid like the plague. Opted for a used unit instead, which is working out perfectly so far.
Old 07-29-2019, 04:06 PM   #9

I haven't touched my 9k basically for over a year so this has been a pretty stagnated thing. I haven't rebuild the blower fan assembly yet since (at the time) I was waiting on eEuroparts to fix up an order they stuffed up (claimed to have been sent but wasn't). That all got sorted.

As it's been so long, it'll be a challenge to re-assembly the blower fan unit with the new fan itself, some new genuine oldstock bits (the rubber vane flaps mostly), and get it working.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in