Correct Tire Size - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > General 9000 Posts and Information

General 9000 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Saab 9000.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Send a message via AIM to Troup
Correct Tire Size

So its time to get new tires for my car as the front ones look like nascar tires, but I've run into a snag. I got onto Tirerack.com and plugged in all of my info (1991 Saab 9000 Turbo) and the tire size it claims as stock (205/50-16) is not what I have currently on my car. I have super aeros on my car... (the three spoke ones with gunmetal center and polished lip) wrapped in Kumho Ecsta AST (225/50-16) I was wondering if maybe the super aeros had a different tire size then say the more bland stock 9000 rims. BTW I don't know anything about tire sizes. I don't know if 205 vs. 225 in tire sizes is that big of deal and perhaps they are interchangeable. My question is: What is the correct tire size for the super aeros with the polished lip?

Thanks in advance

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-1992 9000
-1994 9000 Aero
-2002 9-5 Linear
-2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2010, 01:34 PM   #2

I have 215/55R16 on my wheels, and they rub on my 92 9000 over bumps and in corners

The first number is the width of the tire, in millimeters if IIRC, the second, is the size of the sidewall, which is a percentage of the width (ex the sidewall on my car would be 55% of 215. The last number is the size of the wheel.

All that being said, I've heard of people using a width of 205 to 225 with no problem, other than possibly some rubbing. I know when I replace my tires in the spring when I start driving the car again, it's going to be getting 205/50R16, on a set of the same Aero wheels you have.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Troup
yeah, that makes sense. My current 225's do rub alot. Thankyou so much for the info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-1992 9000
-1994 9000 Aero
-2002 9-5 Linear
-2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer

Old 12-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

From the 1991 9000 Owners manual it lists the following for tire sizes:

9000 Naturally aspirated - 195/65 R 15 91H
9000 CD Turbo - 195/65 R 15 91V
9000 5-Door Turbo - 205/50 ZR 16

I have two '91's and one car has 205/50 - 16" and has the Super Aero wheels. The other car has 205/55 - 16" mounted on the Aero wheel. When these tires are replaced, plan to install a 215/50 - 16". I like the look of the small sidewall and want a bit wider tire to put more of a foot print on the ground.

TrollMeister

2000 9-5 SportCombi - 5-spd
The GEMINI Twins - CIRRUS WHITE
1991 9000-Turbo T16S Aero - auto
1991 9000-Turbo T16S Aero - 5-sp
1967 Mustang Conv w/289 - auto
Old 12-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #5
SAAB Road Master

In some European countries you won't even be allowed on the road with any off size tire. If it's not in the manual it's not allowed.

Some folks have been posting on how some of the large retailers will not mount anything but dead stock stuff. I just got off the phone with a local shop that was willing to mount off size so it sounds like the "big box" stores are worried about liability.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:23 PM   #6
SAAB Road Master

Stuffing on tires that are too wide for the rim widths they are fitted on, Is just a waste of time/money and tire. For decent handling tire sidewalls need to be stiff.. Ergo the reason for the narrow sidewalls of the very lo aspect ratip tires.
Our OLD Saabs have actually quite narrow "J" rims 6" or Gasp! 6 1/2" which is Tiny these days.
Start putting on tires that are too wide and the sidewalls are poorly/inadequately supported.
There goes any advantage one dreamed of. Bigger is not always better .
But Hey! this ain't News and IF it is.
it's about time to research the subject, don't you think?

Last edited by bare; 12-17-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in