My 1992 9000 Turbo Build thread - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > General 9000 Posts and Information

General 9000 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Saab 9000.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2008, 06:46 AM   #1
Elder

My 1992 9000 Turbo Build thread

A couple years ago I bought a balck on black 1994 9000 CDE. It was kind of a random thing. I went to a dealer to look at a BMW 318i, but it wasn't all it was cracked up to be, but the owner of the small dealership saw me eyeing his personal car, the aforementioned 1994 CDE. I was faceinated with the car. For the first time in my life I had found a car with enough buttons that I didn't know hot to use them all. Needles to say I drove it home. I did alot of maintenance stuff on it, but it was an automatic and had 170,000mi on it. (which I wasn't worried about except for the trans). I did a few minor things cosmetically and upgraded the speakers. But the transmission eventually started to slip a little and I couldnt afford to fix it, so I sold it.

Fast forward a couple years and a couple cars to Mid June 2008. I am sitting at a stop light In south Bend. When a 91-92 9000 pulls up to me at the light. I have the windows down, and as he takes off from the light, I could hear the slight whine of the turbo. At that moment it hit me, I had just gotten a better paying job, and am alot more experienced working on cars than I was. Almost immediately I Sold my 1992 Celica GT (which I do kind of miss). But I Started my hunt for a 9000. A short time later I found the one I have now. It was in St. Louis MO. So My dad and Me made a through the night run to go look at it. The dealer was very honest over the phone and the car matched the description he gave me to a T. So $2300 later I have a 1992 9000 turbo 5spd w/ 165000mi, but an imaculate body and interior. The windshield needs replaced because it leaked a little bit above the headliner and ruined it. (but no rust underneath).

I have big plans for this car, but for now I need to get it reliable. I have a 1995 civic that I will be driving during the winter, so I will be able to do most of the work on the Saab during the winter.

I figured that since I have many longer term plans for it I would start my own build thread.

The car:

Here's some of the plans I have for it by next spring. Nothing majorly performance oriented, just get the maintenance up to date, and clean some stuff up.

windshield/reseal
battery
fix fan circuit (runs battery down)
TCS Delete kit From MikeD
water pump kit
thermostat with gasket (180 deg)
upper radiator hose
lower radiator hose
expansion tank hose
expansion tank cap
coolant / flush
bars radiator stop leak
water wetter
timing chain kit
crankshaft pulley
idler pulley
valve cover gasket
oil pump kit
oil pump seal (front crank seal)
oil pump o-ring
balance chain delete (tentioner delete plate)
saab original ngk spark plugs (set of 4)
urethane upper motor mounts
front lower motor mount (solid)
rear lower motor mount (solid)
shifter bushing kit
fuel filter kit (with seals)
k&n air filter
modify intake housing
lowering spring kit
headliner kit
a-pillar interior trim pieces

I definitely have my work cut out for me.

Here's a pic of my old CDE that I sold

Loved the way that one looked, but A/T FTL.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Jason

1986 Saab 900 Turbo & 1992 Saab 9000 Turbo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2008, 06:52 AM   #2
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to MrsSaabDriver
I love the white. I bet it'll turn out great.
keep us posted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-19-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
SAAB Road Master

NICE white 9K!

Thanks for the share - really looking forward to seeing how
you bring that Saab up to it's true potential! Looks mint!

Unique grille treatment on your old 9K, btw...i like!

Incase you haven't seen these (potential inspirational) pix...enjoy!

Old 09-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Elder

I love the rims on the black one!!

That is about the stance I want too.

The grille on the old one was simple, I chipped the chrome off and painted it black, the mesh was from the hardware store and zip tied/screwed on the back.

-Jason

Last edited by tuner4life; 09-19-2008 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

I was wondering who bought the car. One of the guys at the dealer was a former BMW guy but then got into SAAB's. He had other ones in the past that I have went and looked at. I had gone and looked at this 9000; the car is superb! It is really clean and very nice. The only cosmetic issue a saw was the polished lips. It was driven by another dealer's wife I was told. I really wanted it but I have too many cars.

Very good find and worth the trip right? Take care of it.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mcrowley
Thats pretty damn clean for a 92 with that kind of mileage! Nice find.

Btw...that pic of the black one is p'shopped.

Old 09-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]@ View Post
I was wondering who bought the car. One of the guys at the dealer was a former BMW guy but then got into SAAB's. He had other ones in the past that I have went and looked at. I had gone and looked at this 9000; the car is superb! It is really clean and very nice. The only cosmetic issue a saw was the polished lips. It was driven by another dealer's wife I was told. I really wanted it but I have too many cars.

Very good find and worth the trip right? Take care of it.
Definitely worth the trip!!!

Thats kind of funny, It's a small world. The owner of the dealership was a real nice guy. Did you get to see his old M6 in the garage?

-Jason

Last edited by tuner4life; 09-19-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowley View Post
Thats pretty damn clean for a 92 with that kind of mileage! Nice find.

Btw...that pic of the black one is p'shopped.
Maybe someday if I work really hard it will be half as clean as yours.

-Jason

Old 09-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
Deez Nutz
Site ModeratorElder

Send a message via AIM to Palmer
Wow, that's a good place to start from!
Old 09-21-2008, 08:03 AM   #10
Elder

Progress.

Last week, I got the car up on ramps, cleaned the underside very thuroughly, and undercoated most of it.

I also got some "yellow" fogs from auto zone. They turned out to just have cheap yellow/chrome plastic for the reflectors, So I picked up a couple of more yellow bulbs and put them in. No battery yet so no pics of them working. I also Got a set of Really bluish Nokya headlights.

Anyways, heres pics with one new fog light in.

More updates to come.

-Jason

Old 09-21-2008, 06:09 PM   #11
Elder

Got the oil catch can installed. For being an ebay one it looks to be fairly good quality, although I didn't like the goofy looking transparent blue hose that came with it, so I got some black rubber hose. I think it looks better that way.

The proper way to hook up an oil catch can...

Sooo much more to come.....

-Jason

Old 09-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #12
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuner4life View Post
Got the oil catch can installed. For being an ebay one it looks to be fairly good quality, although I didn't like the goofy looking transparent blue hose that came with it, so I got some black rubber hose. I think it looks better that way.

The proper way to hook up an oil catch can...

Sooo much more to come.....

For once, somebody actually hooks up a catch can properly. So many catch can users do not realize that the suction from the intake is necessary for ventilation. Nice job.

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:05 AM   #13
Elder

Bump for more weekend progress.

Headliner is out. Since the windshield was leaking a little bit right in the center of the top the fabric on the headliner was all falling out, but suprisingly, the cardboard looked ok. I may coat it with a rubberized paing like in one if the DIY threads here.

BTW, there is no rust under the windshield.

Got a new battery and connections.

Got started on fixing some of the wiring gremlins, derattling the dash, and installing the stereo system and speakers.

This is where progress stands for now.

I had that box/trunk setup in the back of my old 92 celica gt, and It was a much tighter fit in there. I will rig up a quick release mechanism, that way I can pull it out when at the track.

-Jason

Old 09-22-2008, 07:06 AM   #14
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronJoe View Post
For once, somebody actually hooks up a catch can properly. So many catch can users do not realize that the suction from the intake is necessary for ventilation. Nice job.
Thanks!

-Jason

Old 09-22-2008, 08:18 AM   #15
Elder

Looks nice - that CDE was nice too!

Get some Hella Fog lights - those el-cheap-o's are too small for Rally Purpose Driving
for your repair needs
Old 09-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #16
Elder

That car looks sharp in white.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #17
JK
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsSide42 View Post
Looks nice - that CDE was nice too!

Get some Hella Fog lights - those el-cheap-o's are too small for Rally Purpose Driving
I agree with BurnsSide here. Check out what they have here:

http://www.rallylights.com/

I'm sure you can find a yellow version that is the same as the stock size and fits in the stock housing.

Also, I really wish my 1991 9000 would have aged as well as your '92! Mine looked OK, but had some bad rust just starting to show its face just before I parked it.

It looked pretty decent when I got done fixing the rust, but not as good as the Cirrus White on yours!

Old 09-22-2008, 08:31 AM   #18
Elder

So - explain what benifits one has with this "oil catch can" technology.... my OEM PCV system is fully intact and functional - but yet I still get oil seepage from time to time and the natural oil on my K&N air cleaner is "normal" - would a catch can setup of your sort there actually collect all of this "spare" oil from building up on my engine and in my air filter? I understand the need for them on High Performance Vehicles, but my 9000 (1995) is still a 210hp Automatic - by no means is it a kick ass machine. Thanks
for your repair needs
Old 09-22-2008, 08:35 AM   #19
Elder

I'm with JK as well - pick up some yellow lenses that fit your OEM housings. Or if that fails, do what I did and use yellow lamin-x on some clear lenses, and then get yellow bulbs.
http://www.saabcentral.com/phpgaller...0335.sized.jpg

Quote:
^ IronJoe doesn't park, he lands.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:59 AM   #20
Elder

Yes, I would like to get new oem fogs with yellow bulbs/tinting (like ironjoe's), but the ones that were on the car were both broken and nasty. So I spent about $30 including the better bulbs, that way it looks presentable for the time being (the rest of the body looks great, the busted lights were just killing me), the mechanical work has to get done first.

As for the catch can, there are several other threads on here with info for them, but the idea is to catch that extra oil that gets sent through the pcv system, mostly to keep things clean inside the motor/filter/etc.. The hose that goes to the pre turbo intake tube draws a vacuum through the system, and pulls the crankcase fumes through the upper hose (much like the normal pcv system), but the can will catch everything sucked through the system, then the vacuum going to the intake sucks only the fumes out of the can because the oil is now sitting on the bottom of the can. The can then has a plug on the bottom to drain any oil out.

EDIT: the catch can routing as I have it set up also gets rid of several worthless coolant lines running through the throttle body and pcv tube.

-Jason

Last edited by tuner4life; 09-22-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in