central locking relay question - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > General 9000 Posts and Information

General 9000 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Saab 9000.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

central locking relay question

Hello. I'm trying to get the locks straightened out on my 96 9000CSE. I think I have a bad relay since I'm getting the randomly working locks. Question is, what cars can I get a relay from? Are they all the same, or do I need to find one from a late 9000?

Thanks,
Andrew
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
SAAB Road Master

Send a message via AIM to KChrist
sounds like we are having the same issue. my locks seem to work "when they feel like it" cant really see any ryhme or reason to it. it hasnt irritated me long enough to fix it though. keep the thread updated if you fix it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
JK
Elder

My car does the same...maybe we should look into and find the issue

I know mine is not the switchpack, as it does the same thing with both good switchpacks I have for that car.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:57 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

The problem I'm having is exactly the same as described here:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=116154

I also have one door that doesn't do anything with the central locks, presumably a bad actuator. I've seen the relays for sale, but most are off early models and I'm not sure if they're all the same. I'm hoping to find one used since for 200 some dollars I can reach around and lock my doors by hand. I'll keep my progress posted.

Andrew
Old 02-22-2008, 05:34 AM   #5
Elder

I also had a 1996 CSE with the same type of problem. Sometimes the key fob would activate the locks sometimes it wouldn't. I ended up changing out the locking morotr on 2 doors, both backs befor it went away. Electrical gremlins suck
Old 02-22-2008, 05:40 AM   #6
Elder

Alot of times it's in the drivers door switch if it only happens when locking the doors from the outside. The relays very seldom fail.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonracer View Post
Alot of times it's in the drivers door switch if it only happens when locking the doors from the outside. The relays very seldom fail.
dont say very seldom, i had one fail on me.. the relay is located right above the pedals, on my 92 9000 it was a black box about size of a juice box.

the drivers door actuator could also be the issue, it senses when the drivers lock is down, then will unlock all the other doors in a corresponding manner.
Old 02-22-2008, 09:33 AM   #8
Avid TSL User

Another reason I'm thinking it's the relay is because the symptoms are similar to when my headlight relay was going bad. Same randomness of "works when it feels like it". When it feels like working all the locking devices work, key, key fob and interior lock switch. Does this sound familiar?

Andrew
Old 02-26-2008, 06:03 AM   #9
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Just to add confusion to this I changed my front passenger,your drivers side in the states to a no name cheapie called autowatch.It has not done the same thing since. The autowatch also provide the central locking motors for each door.All up 20 $.

1992 9000 CS Nocturne Blue
Daily driver :318i BMW

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:04 PM   #10
Avid TSL User

Wanted to give an update here. I just put in a new relay off of another 96 9000 and the central locks are now working again. I also have a new actuator for the one non-working door that I'll be putting in as soon as we get a nice day here. I'm hoping that will clear up all my locking problems.

Andrew
Old 03-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #11
JK
Elder

So, is that the large box that is like 3-4 inches square that is under the dash?
Old 03-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #12
Avid TSL User

It's approximately 1x2x5" under the dash on the drivers side. If you look up pretty much just to the left of the clutch pedal you'll see it. The part number is 4102851 4050 5359.

Andrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in