TCS removal - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > General 9000 Posts and Information

General 9000 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Saab 9000.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 08:56 PM   #41
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOKINSPG View Post
im tryin go do a 93 9k aero t5.2 non tcs conversion i see 2 throttle signal wires on the trionic ecu and wondering if i could use that as a tps sensor wires and 1 being a ground source? then all i have to do is put the non tcs abs module in and theoretically it should run. Im stealin most of the parts off my 91 9kt
Not sure how I missed this here, but this is the reply I posted on Saabnet. I'd rather post here, honestly.

-----

I am working on the exact same thing right now on my 93 Aero... but I am a step behind... having a hard time swapping the gas pedals.

According to the wiring diagram I have, there are three wires connected to the TPS, as follows. (Note: the wire colors are in quotes because they don't exist on a TCS car):
TCS Pin 1 ("Green/Red"): Connects to ECU Pin 42
TCS Pin 2 ("Gray"): Connects to ECU Pin 45
TCS Pin 3 ("Black/White"): Connects to Ground

I am hope to locate and order some spare electrical terminals soon, so that I can make these connections to the ECU. I don't plan to splice into the existing engine harness at all; just run separate wires.

I imagine that there will be a minimum qty for the terminals, so feel free to contact me if you need some.

I plan to connect the AIC valve in a similar manner. But I hadn't planned to replace the ABS ECU.

'91 9000CD Turbo, Auto, Iridium Blue
'91 9000T, 5MT, Tally Red (No-Start Project)
'92 9000T, 5MT, Black
'04 9-5 Wagon, Auto, Nocturne Blue
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #42
SAABeginner

I have a 98, so I don't have TCS, but out of curiosity, what happens if you attach a normal throttle assembly and feed the TPS output to the pedal input on the TCS ECU?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-31-2010, 04:51 AM   #43
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
Quote:
Originally Posted by dantinne View Post
Not sure how I missed this here, but this is the reply I posted on Saabnet. I'd rather post here, honestly.

-----

I am working on the exact same thing right now on my 93 Aero... but I am a step behind... having a hard time swapping the gas pedals.

According to the wiring diagram I have, there are three wires connected to the TPS, as follows. (Note: the wire colors are in quotes because they don't exist on a TCS car):
TCS Pin 1 ("Green/Red"): Connects to ECU Pin 42
TCS Pin 2 ("Gray"): Connects to ECU Pin 45
TCS Pin 3 ("Black/White"): Connects to Ground

I am hope to locate and order some spare electrical terminals soon, so that I can make these connections to the ECU. I don't plan to splice into the existing engine harness at all; just run separate wires.

I imagine that there will be a minimum qty for the terminals, so feel free to contact me if you need some.

I plan to connect the AIC valve in a similar manner. But I hadn't planned to replace the ABS ECU.

you can pull them from anuther wireing harness as well, i am working on getting a 93 CSE converted now, but there is a "lack of proper parts" issue

when its all done ill post a procedure for it.
mike

Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 PM   #44
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to IceTea
could someone explain TCS to me and what does it do?
Old 04-26-2010, 07:59 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTea View Post
could someone explain TCS to me and what does it do?
TCS stands for Troll Containing System- functional when the car is new but when those little trolls age look out! Leads many drivers equiped with this to proclaim: THERE ARE MOTHERFING TROLLS IN MY MOTHERFING SAAB!
Old 04-27-2010, 05:34 AM   #46
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Svenska94Aero
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected]@ View Post
TCS stands for Troll Containing System- functional when the car is new but when those little trolls age look out! Leads many drivers equiped with this to proclaim: THERE ARE MOTHERFING TROLLS IN MY MOTHERFING SAAB!
Hahahahaha Win!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:42 AM   #47
SAABeginner

How About a '95 conversion?

I am considering picking up a '95 9000 Aero. The owner states that it will need a throttle body and TCS computer. The question is, what do I do to bypass the entire TCS system, easily? Otherwise, if I replace the TB would it fix what's going on permanently? But then what about the TCS computer? I've never heard of the computer going bad, and I'm not able to find a replacement so far. I'm all for bypassing if its cheaper/easier to fix than the original system...

I just want the system to not go into limp home mode ever, I did that in my last 9k and I got tired of only being able to drive on roads with shoulder. Thanks!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #48
Elder

I know you get get those TB rebuilt failry cheap - and the solenoids are cheap too - so why not just fix it? If there are other problems - I could see following the instructions in this thread to remove, but it's not a simple plug and play procedure - you will have to get all the parts first, then begin to convert it.
for your repair needs
Old 11-01-2010, 09:13 AM   #49
SAABeginner

I didn't know you could rebuild them, that's a lot easier. Apparently the girl brought it to her mechanic, and it threw out a code saying the computer was faulty. Question is, what do you do then? I've heard of TBs going, but never a computer problem. I'm not sure what to do if I got the car, its always in limp mode now. Recommendations?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #50
Elder

More good details in this thread FYI:
https://saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2061

Also - as for the reman TB unit's I am looking for the company who does them, I know BBA does, but not sure if that is the only one or not.
http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/D...edProduct=1295

They also have 1995 ECU's reman;
http://www.bba-reman.com/content.asp...=Saab-1995-ECU
for your repair needs
Old 11-01-2010, 03:07 PM   #51
Elder

Also - as for the reman TB unit's I am looking for the company who does them, I know BBA does, but not sure if that is the only one or not.
http://www.bba-reman.com/catalogue/D...edProduct=1295

Here's another:

http://www.ultimaltd.com/

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 11-01-2010, 03:20 PM   #52

That computer is under the driver seat and tends to get wet. I have popped them open, cleaned them up and saved them before.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #53
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlins8990 View Post

Thats what the TCS throttle body looks like.

what year is this???
Old 11-06-2010, 02:51 PM   #54
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 9000cd griffin edition View Post
what year is this???
1993-1995 9000 "CS" body.
for your repair needs
Old 05-07-2011, 12:49 PM   #55
SAABeginner

Hi, brothers in mind!
I got a need to convert my TCS T5.2 into a non-TCS T5.5.
Advice of an experienced person to me would be greatly helped.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #56
Elder

I am halfway through this an need some clarification.

1) Crank position sensor and speedometer sending unit plug ends were different from the 1991 donor car, to the 1992 recipient car, so I swapped all that stuff over, but I notice that those plugs dont attach to the round-plug, firewall-forward harness on the 1991 (I believe they did on the 1992, but could be wrong.) Did these need to be swapped? Where do they attach to the 1992 car's factory harness?

2) ECU's and stuff. Each car has a metal jetronic ECU? under the bulkhead, but the 1992 also has a plastic APC-looking box, similar to a C900 under the bulkhead. The 1991 does not. Is there something else I'm missing on either car? I didn't find anything under the seats in the 1991. Do I just swap the metal Jetronic boxes add the wires and go?
Old 08-28-2011, 10:28 AM   #57
Elder

^^The APC/DI ECU under the bulkhead on the '92 stays intact with it's harness. I forget what the story was with the sensors. I don't think I had issues there.

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 08-28-2011, 07:59 PM   #58
Elder

Why is it that when you do the delete you loose cruise control?

This is my car, and it's for me. This is not for you

132417saab™©
AKA "numbers"
Old 08-29-2011, 03:03 AM   #59
Elder

Looking for confirmation here.

I am using a 1991 9kT harness from the bulkhead forward. In order to use that, do I need to rip apart the factory 1992 harness that connects to the bulkhead AND the DI/APC box under the bulkhead, and basically separate out everything connected to the DI/APC box, keep it in the car, and pitch the rest of it?

The 1991 harness has no connections for things like speedometer sending unit, crank position sensor and a 2-wire plug on the back of the block (coolant, oil pressure?). The 1992 harness does.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:18 PM   #60
TSLMember

93 9000 with ETS

Wow and thanks I read your posts and found some hope. I just purchased a 93 Saab 9000 with ETB and TCS and it runs horrible. The car had low miles and nice interior, but I did know about the ETS system. No wonder it was a cheap fixer upper. The ETB is locked up, so can I convert a 93 back to standard throttle. One of the post suggested negative. I do have a 92 w/o and a 93 w/o ETS for parts. I did see the information about the rebuilt ETBs also, so perhaps that would be best. However, I would to just like to make the vehicle more mechanical and eliminate ETS.
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in