TCS removal - Page 2 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > General 9000 Posts and Information

General 9000 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Saab 9000.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2009, 05:01 AM   #21
Elder

I've come to somewhat of an impasse here and the amount of misinformation on the web isn't helping. One thing that's got me stumped is where I've read things like "...or change to '91 wiring harness." That would seem to make the job much easier but how much of the wiring harness? I would understand that to be just the engine bay harness where it unscrews from the bulkhead, like mike d seems to indicate, but I've come across posts (on other sites) that say the ENTIRE wiring harness must be swapped with a '91. I do NOT want to get into that.

Here's what I've done so far:

Replaced ECU with '91
Replaced engine bay harness with '91
Replaced throttle body, added AIC, replaced gas pedal and throttle cable
Replaced coolant sensor

Here's where I need to know what else to do. There are no plugs for the air temp sensor or the sensor on the block toward the firewall. On a '91, they belong to the DI harness. I would switch to that too but then there's a new set of consequences to deal with. Notably, an additional plug near the battery along with the DI hook-ups that doesn't go to anything and probably should. Also, what about the small harness that goes between the screw on setup and the ECU? That will still have the '92 section. Do the wires fully correspond to the plug on the '91 harness coming from the engine bay? Would I have been better off to leave the '92 harness in place and add to it? A bit late now.

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #22
Elder

Late afternoon bump

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-12-2009, 02:34 PM   #23
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Bump^ Can I ask Why So many People Do This? The Crowd I see all thinks this is the only way to Go JUST RIP ETS off? Where's This Guys HELP?

Old 05-14-2009, 07:41 AM   #24
Elder

Send a message via AIM to mike d
you first, unhook it from the pedal, and undo the clip on the firewall. and unhook it from the throttle body

Then put a pair of vicegrips on the inner part of the cable (the lead bead).

then pull the vice grips really hard,, usally a running start is required.

good luck
Old 05-14-2009, 07:49 AM   #25
Elder

On the topic of ECUs,, the Di harness does not need to be touched. and the 91/92 ECU plugs are very similer,, at most you will need to add pins to the jetronic ECU plug.

but to start simply do this,, put on the non ETS TB, and 1991 ECU, and make 0 wireing changes,, plumb it in, dont bother with the throttle linkage, or anything,, and simply turn the key.

the car will run.

from here on out your focus is on creating the wireing from the AIC valve, and TPS sensor. you can acompllish the section to the bulkhead buy simply using the 1991 harness.

after the bulkhead,m you need to create the wiring buy adding pins to both the circular plug on the bulkhead wall, and the jetronic ECU plug
Old 05-17-2009, 06:16 AM   #26
Elder

Ran all the wires needed into the ECU harness behind the bulkhead and they all have continuity from the component.

I wanted to clarify a few things. Rally 900s article says the AIC and TPS should come from an LH2.4.2 car. Those are the parts from the '91 9000T donor car, correct? I used the AIC from that but I left the TPS on the '98 throttle body I had. Was that a mistake? I was going to check the part number today to see. As it is, the car will not start on it's own and idle. If you crack open the throttle butterfly manually it will start right away and run if you feather the throttle. On it's own it won't. The only 2 things I haven't done is hooked up the gas pedal and run a wire from the AIC to the "Coding Connector" which I'm not sure about. This was shown on one of the wiring diagrams. I know a lot of people are still at Carlisle but I'm really hoping to finish this thing.

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 05-17-2009, 04:11 PM   #27
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety5Aero View Post
Ran all the wires needed into the ECU harness behind the bulkhead and they all have continuity from the component.

I wanted to clarify a few things. Rally 900s article says the AIC and TPS should come from an LH2.4.2 car. Those are the parts from the '91 9000T donor car, correct? I used the AIC from that but I left the TPS on the '98 throttle body I had. Was that a mistake? I was going to check the part number today to see. As it is, the car will not start on it's own and idle. If you crack open the throttle butterfly manually it will start right away and run if you feather the throttle. On it's own it won't. The only 2 things I haven't done is hooked up the gas pedal and run a wire from the AIC to the "Coding Connector" which I'm not sure about. This was shown on one of the wiring diagrams. I know a lot of people are still at Carlisle but I'm really hoping to finish this thing.

i think you should be able to use a T5 TPS,, my logic is as follows

im using a 2.1 Tb on my c900, so an 2.4 Tps works on a T5 system

2.1 Tbs and 2.3 di/apc Tbs have the same Tps

this means there all the same

if somebody knows otherwise, speak up
Old 05-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike d View Post
i think you should be able to use a T5 TPS,, my logic is as follows

im using a 2.1 Tb on my c900, so an 2.4 Tps works on a T5 system

2.1 Tbs and 2.3 di/apc Tbs have the same Tps

this means there all the same

if somebody knows otherwise, speak up
After 90 or 91 they are pretty much all the same..LH-T5
Old 05-17-2009, 04:21 PM   #29
Elder

^^You're right Mike- part number for the TPS is the same- at least from '91-'98. So that's not the issue. Perhaps my AIC is frozen up, since it hasn't been run in about 5 years. Do you know what part serves the purpose of allowing the car to start and idle without giving it any gas? Because it will start and run if you crack the throttle, but won't if you give it no gas.

Oh, and I went to install the gas pedal today and it doesn't fit properly due to the little bracket for the pedal potentiometer. All of these little details.

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 05-17-2009, 04:32 PM   #30
Elder

Quote:
^^You're right Mike- part number for the TPS is the same- at least from '91-'98. So that's not the issue. Perhaps my AIC is frozen up, since it hasn't been run in about 5 years. Do you know what part serves the purpose of allowing the car to start and idle without giving it any gas? Because it will start and run if you crack the throttle, but won't if you give it no gas.

Oh, and I went to install the gas pedal today and it doesn't fit properly due to the little bracket for the pedal potentiometer. All of these little details.

well, the Tcs pedal, and the non Tcs pedal have different mounting points under the dash, the cars are pre-drilled for either,, make sure your in the right one.

the AIC corrects for cold starts,, what i would do for now is make sure the Tb is clean, and use the manual screw to simple turn the idle up a little.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:33 PM   #31

Yahh The Idle Air Controll Valve is what you should be Looking at Or a GROSS Vacuum Leak. Try Soaking the Inside Of the Flutter Valve portion of IAC with A GOOD Rust pennatrant, WD40 or anything better than that. Where do you have the Throtle Plate Set? This is also Crucial if you want it to Idle,
Old 05-17-2009, 04:44 PM   #32
Elder

Quote:
well, the Tcs pedal, and the non Tcs pedal have different mounting points under the dash, the cars are pre-drilled for either,, make sure your in the right one.
OK, definitely need to take a look at the mounting points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
Where do you have the Throtle Plate Set? This is also Crucial if you want it to Idle,
Haven't touched anything on the throttle body yet at all. Left it intact as it came off the '98 motor other than installing the '91 AIC onto it.

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 05-17-2009, 07:08 PM   #33
Elder

Quote:
Got thinking about that Mike and isn't there only one way to mount the non TCS pedal? It just mounts to the lower plate via the 2 torx bolts right?

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 05-18-2009, 06:43 AM   #34
Elder

Quote:
Got thinking about that Mike and isn't there only one way to mount the non TCS pedal? It just mounts to the lower plate via the 2 torx bolts right?

basicly yes,, if you compare the two pedal side buy side (tcs vs non TCS) youll notice that the non Tcs pedal has its swing axis lower down, providing more distance to be pulled buy the throttle cable. the mounting point reflects this its the same two torx screws, just there in a different spot on the car
Old 05-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #35
Elder

Update: Turns out the throttle body was the wrong one. Of the 3 I had available to me, I chose the wrong one because it was the prettiest. I'm not even sure what that one came from (which SAAB 9000 model I mean). It has both ports for the AIC (maybe) in FRONT of the butterfly, unlike all of the others where one is in front and one is behind the throttle plate. Put the correct TB on it and it started right up. Ran well until the idler pulley seized and I shut it down. My one remaining issue is the mounting of the gas pedal. Turns out even the damn pedal mounting bracket is different on TCS cars.

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 05-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #36
Elder

Quote:
Update: Turns out the throttle body was the wrong one. Of the 3 I had available to me, I chose the wrong one because it was the prettiest. I'm not even sure what that one came from (which SAAB 9000 model I mean). It has both ports for the AIC (maybe) in FRONT of the butterfly, unlike all of the others where one is in front and one is behind the throttle plate. Put the correct TB on it and it started right up. Ran well until the idler pulley seized and I shut it down. My one remaining issue is the mounting of the gas pedal. Turns out even the damn pedal mounting bracket is different on TCS cars.
sounds like a c900 TB

what bracket are you talking about?? my pedal bolted right on,, but in a different location
Old 05-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #37
Elder

Quote:
what bracket are you talking about?? my pedal bolted right on,, but in a different location
The TCS pedal that came off, mounted to the pedal bracket up higher with a bushing type thing. The '95 non TCS pedal mounts on the bracket lower, by 2 screws going into the spring loaded block. Once mounted, the little right angle foot stop thing that limits how close the pedal gets to the floor, is striking a squarish bracket, of sorts, that is on the TCS pedal assembly but is not on a non TCS pedal assembly.

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 05-22-2009, 09:05 AM   #38
Elder

hmm, i guess i never had that problem

i know when i did mine, i had a friend floor it, and i simply made sure the throttle plate was opening 100% and figured that was good enouph
Old 05-22-2009, 05:06 PM   #39
Elder

It's ALIIIIIVE!!! Holy sh_t! Glad to be done with THAT little project. Grinded and air chiseled that friggin' little bracket off the pedal assembly, bolted the non TCS gas pedal on and started it up. Idles nice. No CELs. Gas works. Tomorrow I'll fix the pulley that fried while it was idling and a bad tie rod end, then take a look at an oil leak.

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 09-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #40
Avid TSL User

Send a message via AIM to SMOKINSPG
im tryin go do a 93 9k aero t5.2 non tcs conversion i see 2 throttle signal wires on the trionic ecu and wondering if i could use that as a tps sensor wires and 1 being a ground source? then all i have to do is put the non tcs abs module in and theoretically it should run. Im stealin most of the parts off my 91 9kt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in