9Kwrecker's 91 9000T. - Page 4 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > General 9000 Posts and Information

General 9000 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Saab 9000.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2018, 01:48 PM   #61
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Had that same issue on 92cd tore the clamshell and keyswitch ..dash ..battery ..rug. Starter.. Dope scope ..center console .all apart for nothing. It was the grounds next to the fuel pump in trunk. Spent a good year of my youth in dark parking lots flicking the key on and off and playing with every button on the car
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2018, 07:48 AM   #62

Good to know on those grounds. Fingers crossed it's been OK since I swapped the switch back. If it rears its head again I'll pull the floor outta the hatch.
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT

Last edited by 9Kwrecker; 07-16-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-16-2018, 08:11 AM   #63

Big update here:

- Fixed the lower column bearing
- Put a wood wheel in
- Headliner
- Changed out the steel roof for glass
- Ran wire for bluetooth mic
- AC Charge

Details and pics, just skip the words if you want:

Column bearing was pretty straightforward. I had a spare column with a good bearing in it, so I just unbolted the whole assembly out of that one and put it in my column in situ. Other than the contortion to be able to see under the dash, and taking the coupler apart twice because I forgot the snap ring, not bad. This is the bad bearing, check out how mangled it is.

Wood wheel, easy, since my clock spring was already effed/SRS light on and my signals were already not self canceling with the stock wheel, so that was a straight R&R.

Aaand the headliner. Was supposed to be a simple weekend project, but I'm dumb and bad and so it was a two weekend project because I had to order more material. I didn't take any pics of disassembly to get the board out.

Here it is after I scraped about half the foam off:

And then I didn't lay the material down right, and had to tear it all off and order more, this being the dumb and bad part:

Damaged the board a bit doing the tearoff, but very salvageable:

The sunroof, recovered the shade in that as well. Direct bolt in replacement for the steel roof, elec connections all the same, etc. Only thing is it doesn't have a "stop" so I have to manually position it between vent/closed/slide:

Finally some finished product shots of everything buttoned up:

It didn't come out as well as I had hoped, but this is a drastic improvement to the failed glue. May end up going back to dye the trim pieces gray, but I was ready to be done with this by the time the board was done.

You can't really see the mic for the stereo, I put that in the black space on the windshield, pulled the dash pad and installed the wire there and in the driver's A pillar before I put it all back together.

AC just needed a charge to make cold, we'll see how long it lasts.
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT

Old 07-17-2018, 04:01 AM   #64
Elder

Good work! Interior turned out nice!

What did you take the glass roof from? When I swapped my 1992 to glass, the stops worked like they should. I wonder if there is a sensor or something on yours that isn't working correctly. (My glass roof assembly came from a 1994 CDE)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Jason

1986 Saab 900 Turbo & 1992 Saab 9000 Turbo
Old 07-17-2018, 04:56 AM   #65

Thanks - I'm about 70% happy with the headliner. If I get another board at some point I might take another shot, but I don't think mine would survive a third attempt to recover.

The glass roof came from an 89 CD. I kind of remember having this problem once before (I had this roof in my 92 9000S before it got totaled) and I think I found a solution at the time, I just need to dig into it.
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 07-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #66
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
The glass roof is a great upgrade! Upgraded to one when I had my 92 9000S. There was a special alignment tool that slotted into each side for removal/installation. I wonder if that has anything to do with the stops being funky?
Old 07-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #67

That's interesting, never heard anything about a tool for aligning it before. I had the car out and about yesterday and it poured, and I had no leaks, so I guess I'm good for now.

The AC, that's another story. I'm popping the AC compressor fuse, turns out, so I need to figure out why that's happening.
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 09-09-2018, 06:49 AM   #68

Got a paint correction done over the last couple days.

Next I will be calling to make appointments for window tint and I found some bad exhaust work, so planning to cut out the badness that starts at the downpipe, and get all new stuff pipe to a single muffler behind the axle.

02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 09-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #69

Send a message via AIM to Troup
Wow! The car looks great! You've made some serious progress over the months. I've been buried in my own 92 and didn't even notice the updates to your thread. Glad you got that steering column sorted. It was a bit of a project for me as I replaced that lower bearing with a universal one. So much better than before.

You've got to get those headlight mounts sorted. It cleans up the lines of the car so well. I'm sure your mount / levelers are trashed as they all are. I stripped off the little adjuster knob and marred the top until I could get normal nuts on it. I did my best to make them level and tightened them down. You'll also need a little spacer to fill the gap through the bracket. I just got some plastic spacer stuff from HD and cut it to size.

Pics are worth a thousand words:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Espresso Black
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Glacier Blue

Last edited by Troup; 09-09-2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troup View Post
You've got to get those headlight mounts sorted. It cleans up the lines of the car so well. I'm sure your mount / levelers are trashed as they all are. I stripped off the little adjuster knob and marred the top until I could get normal nuts on it. I did my best to make them level and tightened them down. You'll also need a little spacer to fill the gap through the bracket. I just got some plastic spacer stuff from HD and cut it to size.
Awesome, thanks for sharing this solution. I can get my hands on one or two NOS bushings, but not enough to square everything up, so I'm glad to know this option exists.
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 09-10-2018, 04:52 AM   #71
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Kwrecker View Post
Awesome, thanks for sharing this solution. I can get my hands on one or two NOS bushings, but not enough to square everything up, so I'm glad to know this option exists.

This car is looking great! Having never owned a 9k, I don't follow exactly what you guys are describing with the headlight adjusters, but I was just thinking, if you ca get your hands on some NOS bushings, perhaps that would be a good candidate for 3D modeling and 3D printing?
Old 09-10-2018, 08:10 AM   #72

Send a message via AIM to Troup
I think you may be able to buy them still. Saab bits in the UK makes some pretty solid looking replacements.

Saab 900/9000 headlamp tie-rod repair kit : SAABits, SAAB parts UK - Worldwide shipping

For me it was a cost / benefit thing. When I looked into it, I decided it was too pricey and improvised. The shipping from the UK kind of kills it.

-1992 9000 T5
-1994 9000 Aero
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Espresso Black
-2004 9-5 Aero Wagon - Glacier Blue
Old 09-13-2018, 05:55 AM   #73

Window tint is done. The hatch window has more curve to it than it looks, it took 3 tries to get the film down.

Crappy camera phone picture:
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 09-14-2018, 04:11 AM   #74
Elder

Looks great!!

-Jason

1986 Saab 900 Turbo & 1992 Saab 9000 Turbo
Old 09-17-2018, 06:19 AM   #75

Took the car to Motor Vice Midwest in Columbus over the weekend. It was a little over 300 miles round trip, by far the longest ride it's been on. The car ran pretty good, but I need to check the plugs/try a different DI in it, felt like it was missing a bit at points.

The good news is that I had the AC system vac'd down and recharged before I left, and it worked flawlessly. I can't believe my 91 9000 is the only Saab I have with full functioning A/C.

Obligatory pic from the show included:

02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 09-20-2018, 10:29 AM   #76
SAAB Road Master

Looks fantastic. I've loved watching the progression of this project.

Its great when classics deserving of TLC find owners like you.

I know this will never happen, but let me know if you ever sell it.
1993 900 Commemorative Edition #50
1995 9000 Aero - Stage 3
1996 900 troll
2002 9-3 Viggen vert - Stage 4
2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
Old 09-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #77

Thanks, Daven.

I told myself I was going to get it running and sell it, but after I started putting miles on it I ruled that out pretty quick. Now, if you wanted my Viggen, that would be another story lol.
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 09-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #78
SAAB Road Master

Can't say I blame you!

I've never seen pictures of your Viggen. I'm interested... Really, I'm not.

But I am.
1993 900 Commemorative Edition #50
1995 9000 Aero - Stage 3
1996 900 troll
2002 9-3 Viggen vert - Stage 4
2004 9-5 Aero Wagon
Old 09-20-2018, 01:43 PM   #79
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
While you're selling cars... I see you have a spare 9-5 SC?
Old 09-21-2018, 06:02 AM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
While you're selling cars... I see you have a spare 9-5 SC?
Actually, the red 04 will be going away relatively soon. Too many cars, not enough time.
02 Aero Wagon

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in