9Kwrecker's 91 9000T. - Page 3 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9000 Forum > General 9000 Posts and Information

General 9000 Posts and Information Please post general information pertaining to the Saab 9000.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2017, 03:46 AM   #41
Elder

Alignment makes all the difference with these cars. My 9k had the best road handling and feel of any car I've ever owned and driven. And I've had some nice cars. Glad you've got it straightened out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Jason

1986 Saab 900 Turbo & 1992 Saab 9000 Turbo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017, 06:31 AM   #42
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Between dry rotted tires from sitting in storage, and the new tie rod ends, the tires would squeal on a straight, flat road. I think it was a little pigeon-toed prior to the alignment.

Now I just need to fix the lower bearing on the column and driving-wise it'll be all set. The upper bearing fixed about 90% of the problem, and I couldn't tell the lower was shot until driving it after the alignment.

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-12-2017, 02:30 AM   #43

nice looking car guy

Old 08-14-2017, 06:54 AM   #44

Added some Aero skirts yesterday. It's hard to see them in the pics at all, but they don't look right in gloss black, so I'll have to paint them.

That said, should I paint them Cirrus to match the car, or should I paint them matte black to match the lower bumpers?

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT

Last edited by 9Kwrecker; 08-14-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #45
WSW
Elder

I vote to match lower bumpers

I had a white 91 with white Aero skirts, looked off to me
Old 08-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #46

That's the way I was leaning. The skirts would look good in white if the bumper lowers were white, but I'm not sure that would look right with the vertical trim piece between the bumpers/body.

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 08-14-2017, 03:50 PM   #47
WSW
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Kwrecker View Post
That's the way I was leaning. The skirts would look good in white if the bumper lowers were white, but I'm not sure that would look right with the vertical trim piece between the bumpers/body.

I'll send you a pic on fb. Too much work via Imgur
Old 08-15-2017, 04:18 AM   #48
Elder

1993+ aeros should be painted, but 1992- should definitely be black unless you have the rest of an airflow kit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Jason

Old 08-15-2017, 05:35 AM   #49

Yeah after looking at the pic WSW sent me, I won't be doing them in white. Both bumpers will eventually need to be painted, however, so I may have to photoshop the bumpers and skirts in all white just to see how it looks when that time comes.

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 08-16-2017, 04:20 AM   #50
Elder

The only way I would consider color-matched parts on a 1992 or older 9000..

The unobtainum Carlsson kit..

-Jason

Old 08-16-2017, 05:06 AM   #51

That looks sharp. But like you said, unobtanium.

I was thinking of trying that color scheme with the factory bumpers. The only question if I do that is how to handle the accordion-looking piece of trim where the bumper meets the body.

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 03-19-2018, 05:29 PM   #52
Avid TSL User

What's going on with this thing?
Old 03-20-2018, 08:44 AM   #53

It sat in the corner of my shop all winter, no progress made. On Sunday I put the battery back in it and took it off the wheel dollies. Still needs all the same stuff fixed, throw out bearing, radio installed, headliner, paint correction.

Hoping as the weather starts to get better I'm able to have clear some other winter projects and make time/space to get back to this car.

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 03-20-2018, 09:21 AM   #54
WSW
Elder

Forgot about this car, hopefully you get her up and running solid
Old 03-20-2018, 09:59 AM   #55

I'm hopeful I'll get it going soon. I need to get it in the air and drop the trans, I think this is the loudest throw out bearing I've heard so far.

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 07-02-2018, 06:00 AM   #56

No relevant pictures because my phone broke, but this car sat from last fall till two weekends ago. Since then:

-Trans is out and back in. From now on I will only do that job on a lift, takes about 90% of the PITA out of it.
-Upon test driving it with the throw out bearing fixed, I reminded myself that a PO screwed up the rad drain plug and decided a 10mm bolt would be the right way to fix it. It leaked. I JB welded it. It still leaked. I bought a new Nissens radiator and dropped it in. It doesn't leak.
-While the rad was out, I repaired the wires to the radiator temp sensor (goodbye shitty crimp connectors), and made the cooling fan work again.
-Purchased/installed an aftermarket radio, bonus points for green backlight to match the car.
-Ordered the replacement headliner material.
-Drove it about a hundred miles this weekend, grinned the whole time.

Next up:
-Find and fix why the brakes are starting to squeak.
-Pull headliner for recovering.
-Buy new speakers, has factory clarions in it that are semi-transparent at this point.
-Paint correction.

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 07-02-2018, 06:20 AM   #57
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Glad you got it out! Must be nice to start fixing and crossing things off the list. Keep us updated.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:00 AM   #58

Welp, it's back in the shop, till I can figure out the electrical issue.

Had driven it the last few days, last night I was messing around with it, really all i did was take the carpet off inside the hatch to try to figure out why it doesn't lock, and pulled a few fuses to check them out. Went to leave, I twisted the key, heard one click and then all the power went out. Tried it again, didn't even get the click, no lights, etc.

Popped the hood, checked the battery, had voltage, went and tried twisting the key one more time and it fired right up. So I moved it out of the way and took something else. Who's chased down weird issues like this?

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 07-03-2018, 07:24 AM   #59

I'm mostly using this thread as a place to track this car, so I found this looking up my issue and quoting it here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety5Aero View Post
Update! Got the starter out of the car, discover it's already a Bosch factory rebuilt and looks brand new. Jerry rigged it to the very same battery, and it spun right over- no hesitation at all. So, I start looking at bad or loose grounds. Sure enough, the damn ground on the tranny was loose as a goose. Tighten it up, put the starter back in, the car fires right up! Son of a bitch!

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 07-05-2018, 06:20 AM   #60

Checked the trans ground, it was fine. After doing a bunch of reading I thought I was getting symptoms others reported as ultimately being an ignition switch (turn key, one click, then all the lights go out, then nothing). More of an issue in the heat, etc.

Last year when I had a similar issue, I thought I had an ignition switch issue and swapped it out before I ended up finding the + cable to the battery wasn't really attached well at all. So I disco'd the battery the other day to swap my ignition switch back to the one that came with the car. In doing so, I noticed the crappy aftermarket clamp that was an issue last year had managed to loosen up a bit. I tightened that, as well as swapped the switch, and haven't seen an issue in the 3 starts since doing so.

More to come on that, probably.

While I had my head under the steering wheel I came up with a plan to fix the lower column bearing, which is obviously destroyed. Using the extremely useful thread that dantinne created that troup contributed to, I decided I'm going to take the bearing and its carrier/bracket out of the parts column and attempt to swap it all as a unit. Just need to gather the courage to take the steering apart, looks like maybe its just one bolt to get it separated.

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in