Saab Link Forums banner

Thinking about a 9-7x Aero.

6K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  DrewP 
#1 · (Edited)
My friend wants to buy my 4Runner in a few months, so I am considering replacement options.

Requirements:
- Interior space to haul my work gear
- Not really interested in a wagon at this point in my life
- Comfortable
- Fold flat rear seats
- Light off-road capability/4WD, camping friendly, some ground clearance for un-plowed winter roads in our local mountains.

Major bonus points:
- A rear window that either rolls down into the tailgate or opens separately for my 9'6" surfboard.
- Fun to drive/quick-ish

Options I am considering:
- Upgrade to a newer/nicer T4R, but they're super high resale value makes it hard to find a good deal. Mine was previously owned by my dad. He was good about regular maintenance but not about caring for the int/ext. This one has tired cloth, no moonroof, 210k miles, a timing cover leak, and throws a weird CEL every summer related to the cats.

- 60 Series Land Cruiser. I love how they look but if I'm honest, I would prefer more than 155hp if I am spending that much on gas. Also, old.

- 80 Series Land Cruiser. Not as cool as the 60 series, but more powerrrr, modern safety, creature comforts.

- 9-7X Aero. 390 hp sounds like fun! 12-13mpg does not! But I get like 16-18 now... Also I shopped the 5.3i's a few years ago and the center stack layout is not ideal. At 6'1" I felt like it was too close/too vertical (?) to make it easy to see the low CC/head unit.

I also like road trips, so Talladega900, maybe you can chime in -- what's the real world range of 1 cruising highway tank?

Maybe interested in:
9-4x Aero (prices still too high to offset concern about parts/warranties)
Jeep GCs
LR Discos (late Series II, have to check prices on early LR3s)

Wild Cards:
9-2x Aero (crap interior)
Turbo X (fun, but not sure I can make the spacial sacrifice, can't get over wagon stigma)

Not interested in:
9-3x
Edge/Explorer/Escape
X3/5
Mercs
Subarus
Chevy/GMC
Infiniti FX: Been there, done that. I loved mine for what it was (and highly recommend it in another thread) but for an SUV where it excelled in the driving and looks categories, it lacked in overall utility, mainly roof height in the rear hatch area.

See less See more
#4 ·
The other JK, the one without the digits, has a pal who has the really good one they don't make anymore - the v10, I think?

Regardless, as neat as a 9-7x Aero would be, I'd wait until there's a better idea of how the parts situation is going to get resolved before getting back into any Saab. You don't want your car held hostage because some module that's Saab specific is unobtainium for weeks.

Also, the fast 9-3 wagons (the Turbo X came either 280 or 285 and a flash only goes to around 320) while not your cup of tea sure are fun. There will be one in my life again at some point....

#5 ·
A V10 TDI would be epic. It might have just enough torque to make me forget about potential OOW repair bills.

Yeah I think the only wagon I'd realistically consider is a Turbo X. The wheels already look great, and the growl + blacked out tint mans it up just enough. ;)

I test drove a MT TX sedan and enjoyed it.

#7 ·
The cheapest CPO Toureg TDI within 500 miles of me on Autotrader is listed at $32,500, which puts it about $7500 above what I wanted to spend, knowing how quickly I go through cars vs depreciation.

How can you not love diesel specs? 221hp/407tq. And mpgs I can live with.

#9 ·
1) True, but the FX does have that very sloped/bubble-shaped roof line.

2) Yeah, that's why I put it in the bonus section. I can use a roof rack, but throwing in the back window is so much more convenient.

#13 ·
#17 ·
Maybe interested in:
9-4x Aero (prices still too high to offset concern about parts/warranties)
Jeep GCs
LR Discos (late Series II, have to check prices on early LR3s)
My sis had an early LR3 it was great, save for the 13mpg I consistently achieved. Built like a tank, great quality throughout, and reliable to boot.

#19 ·
Guessing a pickup is out of the question? I've got a few buddies with newer Tacoma's and they're surprisingly good on gas, feel quick enough, more than capable off-road and with a shell you really can't get any easier for loading up surf/snow/dirt gear.

Otherwise, my vote definitely goes to the Wrangler. Those things are hawt.

#22 · (Edited)
get a new tacoma? you can bargain those down pretty easy. i considered one myself. they drive great. very cushy, great ergos.

but srsly, errbody should get a wrangler at some point in their life. make sure to drive a 2-dr and a 4-dr, so you can feel the dynamic tradeoff the extra weight/length brings with extra doors.

#23 ·
I like them. They are holding their value surprisingly well for a Saab though.

I spent some seat time in a TBSS. Here's my quick take:
Pros:
-LS2
-LS2
-LS2

Cons:
-Typical GM interior
-Less room than you'd expect for a SUV
-4 speed auto sucks, there's a major flat spot in highway speed accel (you will lose the frumroll to cars which you should destroy on paper)
-MPG blows

All in all, if I needed a SUV I'd get one. I like the Jeep SRT8 way better but they are still hovering at $30k last time I checked. I really wish Ford had done an SVT Explorer, that'd have been the bidness.

The TBSS/Aero drivetrain is great, proven designs all around. I love the stock 20" wheels, and they body styling looks good IMHO. I'd only take the TBSS over the Aero because of color... They didn't do an Aero in white.

#26 ·
I like them. They are holding their value surprisingly well for a Saab though...
Yeah there's one very close to me sub-$20k with 67k on it. Pics/Carfax are clean. Tempting.

I'd only take the TBSS over the Aero because of color... They didn't do an Aero in white.
Agree, although I've seen a couple ads claiming they did 20 or so '09 Aeros in silver, which is not ideal, but better than black as this car will be parked outdoors.

4 door diesel pickup? A Cummins gets 20mpg without trying hard.
Nice but I much prefer the re-style which is $$ and they are super grande/pain in the ass to park in everyday driving.

Don't remove my balls for asking this, but what about a Diesel Jeep Liberty?
Meh.

I'm really liking the idea of a V10 Toureg, but I need to research maintenance issues more. 553ft/lbs!

Re: Wranglers, I wish the new engine was a couple years old already so I could pick up a used one. These are pretty cheap new, but still. Buying new is against my religion.¹

Looks like I have a bunch of stuff to drive.

¹Jamesbuyterian

#27 ·
Also I should note my brother-in-law-to-be is a service writer at a GMC/Caddy dealer. I have him looking into whether or not they can work on a 9-7x, which would be a big bonus.

#28 ·
Could get an '08 9-7x, might still have some warranty left?

Any GMC dealer should be able to do 9-7x's, everything is through Tech2, and there is no security access required to program features and swap modules as far as I can remember. Some of the body control computers had SAAB markings, but I strongly bet there is nothing different than the pre-installed firmware, which could be changed.

I never really saw anything major go wrong with those.

Read a few places online from other shops that they had LSD's or transfer cases burn out since they're electronically switching, but that was from lack of maintenance or dumbness on customer's part (changing to 4wd-Low at highway speed or something like that), and they were able to replace with Trailblazer parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.