Saab Link Forums banner

My Review after Driving a 9-7X - very dissapointed

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  BurnsSide42 
#1 ·
After driving a truck for 3 days - and I don't mean a Chevy S10 Ricer wannabe 4 banger looks like a truck shit - I mean a Dodge Ram 1500 318cu. V8 TRUCK - my point - I felt like a real man (you know the cowboy hat wearing neckerchief sporting dirt flinging sort of type).
Then I got into the seat of this 2005 "Saab" 9-7X today and instantly felt the lack of power as I left the dealership for a boredom test run with one of the customers' cars.
The sloppy handling and the transmission, which by the way - actually allows the car to roll backwards on hills - (isn't that supposed to be a sign of a bad transmission slipping?)
My opinion - I felt like I should be picking up my kids from school and then instantly going shopping for groceries. This is most certainly not a truck - not an SUV by a long shot - but rather a wannabe SUV. Just rips the manhood right from between your legs.
I seriously got out of that thing and felt less of a man for driving it around. Doesn't even break any tires loose :lol:

Keep in mind I was driving the 4.2 Inline Vortex Six Cylinder as well....

#4 ·
eh its an SUV, ive said it before and ill say it again, if left to their own devices, Saab would never have made an SUV PERIOD. but even if they were forced to, it wouldnt have been that heap of crap. granted, it might be a great trailblazer, but a saab it is not.

Paul

#6 ·
did you drive the 6?

At SOC's roundtable discussion someone complained about poor trans, gearing & lack of power

everyone's response was the v8 had none of the negative traits the 6 had

#7 ·
gm said:
did you drive the 6?

At SOC's roundtable discussion someone complained about poor trans, gearing & lack of power

everyone's response was the v8 had none of the negative traits the 6 had
BurnsSide42 said:
Keep in mind I was driving the 4.2 Inline Vortex Six Cylinder as well....
Yes - it was the I6 I drove - and once a V8 comes in for "work" I'll drive that - but as I recall the I6 actually has more HP then the V8 :lol:

#8 ·
the 6 has less HP, I thnk by 15 or so HP however it's the torque that makes the 8 so much better. I do not know the numbers but it's a BIG difference!

I didn't drive one of the 9-7's at SOC, I was only interested in the v6 manual sportcombi :)

#9 ·
Yes - it was the I6 I drove - and once a V8 comes in for "work" I'll drive that - but as I recall the I6 actually has more HP then the V8
The I6 has 290@6000 hp and 277ft. lbs.

The V8 300@5200 hp and 330ft. lbs. which is a DOD engine.

I knew the whole saab blazer thing would be a bust!!!!

I'm a Chevrolet Tech here in Milwaukee all we do is have problems with the Envoy,Trailblazer,Bravada~
My Dad is the Service Manager for Concours Saab and Porsche here and the first day he brought a 9-7x visit me at work. I went to get inside and hit my head because it so much lower than the rest. I do give it a much impovement over the rest....But would i buy one............most likely not

#10 ·
plus the Saab version is about $38,000 for the I6

The sad news is - all 6 of the 9-7's we had delivered we all SOLD in about 5 days... we've yet to get any more shipments in however - and they are on backorder..... go figure (Saab's favorite word FYI is backordered) But i mean - it's good for the company - rather the branch of Saab to sell - cause we all know they need the numbers - but it's a shame what it is taking to do that - when all they had to do was get the Sport Combi into showrooms ASAP - instead the 9-7 was "produced" and the 9-2X is going on for a second year - with the STI engines (no more 2.0L's)

#11 ·
PaulH said:
if left to their own devices, Saab would never have made an SUV PERIOD.
Paul
yeah and if left to their own devices saab would have dropped off the face of the earth about 2 years back :roll:

BurnsSide42 said:
and the 9-2X is going on for a second year - with the STI engines (no more 2.0L's)
unfortunatley its not an sti motor persay...its actually the forester xt motor (insert macho lesbian joke here) basically a wrx with smaller turbo and a de-tune...maybe 07 the aeros will be an STi? :twisted: cuz if they are im buyin one...

#13 ·
saabkid37 said:
PaulH said:
if left to their own devices, Saab would never have made an SUV PERIOD.
Paul
well at this point unfortunately all these "Saabs" are doing is delaying the inevitable, at least then it would have been a graceful death. :roll: :(

Paul

#14 ·
On the same note there was word going around from my dads saab rep that the 9-7x was going to be a I6 Turbo or Maybe even a V8 Twin. GM shut this down because then it would out perform GM's TOP BRAND the Caddy SRX. But I saw some testing videos of the Bravada with a turbo system by GM. Which I find out now is no longer a turbo and now the Trailblazer SS LS2 390hp. Maybe we will see the LS2 in the 9-7x?

#15 ·
I liked driving the 9-7x. My mom had one for a demo from the dealer we work at for a while... i had it to drive for the day.... i liked driving it... i mean for an SUV (or a small SUV whatever you want to call it) it was nice to drive. very quiet. i thought it accelerated really good. not like my car does but i dont expect it to do the same. if i had to drive an SUV yes it would be a saab. i wouldnt drive anything else :shock:

-Kaylan Marie

#16 ·
OK, so you drive a pickup truck and start feeling like a ******* but then get a luxury SUV and then feel like you've been castrated or something...

Well, they are not the same! You know who buys these type of SUV, it is the petite middle aged women with kids that need to get to soccer practice... so what were you expecting...

#17 ·
Smaart Aas Saabr said:
Well, they are not the same! You know who buys these type of SUV, it is the petite middle aged women with kids that need to get to soccer practice... so what were you expecting...
Some Saab Turbo Lag :p Come on - it owulda been such a cooler SUV had it of been the Twin Turbo V8 they *thought* of building :twisted:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.