Saab Link Forums banner

Rats! Windsheild nailed on the way home from Carlisle...

2K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  tophusmaximus 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
About a month ago whe had a stone go through the windsheild. Got it replaced two weeks ago, just in time for Carlisle.

On the way home, same exact spot "right between the eyes", a nice, huge quarter-sized star.

In Virginia, law states you cannot repair the windsheild if the crack is on the drivers side -- must be replaced...

<<sigh>>

Oh, well, Carlisle was a blast as usual despite the crappy drive home today.

#3 ·
All but the $250 deductible. Small consolation considering I just paid $250 last month for a windsheild...

So now I've paid $500 for a windsheild that costs $330...

#7 ·
damn that sucks. -

When that happened to me, It was cheaper for me to buy a windshield and have someone install it, then to turn it into my insurance. PLUS if you do that, they put a "Incident" on your record, so if something else happens they will wold that against you in the next three years. - Had that happen before also, so anything the insurance company does not know the better..

Nice to see you there though.

#12 ·
True that! After I detailed it before Carlisle, I put it away in the garage next to the Commem. The Commemorative's roofline comes to the bottom of the driver's window. Commemorative's been lowered about 2.5", but STILL....

There's a coil-over suspension package tailored to the TB-SS that lowers the car/truck as much as 3.5" I've been considering...

For inspection purposes (I've read the code and had to convince an inspector), if its less then a quarter and not directly in the driver's vision area, they may let it pass. If its bigger and in the passenger side, they may let it slide.

I've had some success with the windshield kits, especially if you get to it early and clean it very well. It prevents further cracking and depending on how well the job is done, is relatively transparent. Its not perfect, and at <$15 bucks, worth the try and will hold until it makes sense to replace it.
Well, inspection was in April, so I have a year to worry about that. I just don't like anything wrong with it as new as it is.

I may consider one of those kits if I can make it work well.

Trailblazers have turned up a Crazy Rays, diy?
ORLY??? Hmmmm.

#9 ·
For inspection purposes (I've read the code and had to convince an inspector), if its less then a quarter and not directly in the driver's vision area, they may let it pass. If its bigger and in the passenger side, they may let it slide.

I've had some success with the windshield kits, especially if you get to it early and clean it very well. It prevents further cracking and depending on how well the job is done, is relatively transparent. Its not perfect, and at <$15 bucks, worth the try and will hold until it makes sense to replace it.
In Virginia, law states you cannot repair the windshield if the crack is on the drivers side -- must be replaced....

#13 ·
I say drop it, that would very nice, its not like your going offroad with it anyway so it can't hurt. You need an exhaust as well, the twins will learn to love its drone... :)

Or just get a good one that has low interior resonance.

#14 ·
Aero's got a pretty good sound now, but I would like to modify and make it a dual exhaust. Why the heck Saab did a single has me baffled -- the TB SS has a dual...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.