Saab Link Forums banner

Burning rubber smell and high oil pressure

5K views 13 replies 4 participants last post by  spgeebee88 
#1 ·
2005 Saab 9-7x 36,000mi

Although the temperature gauge is reading normal but, the engine seems to be running hot.

Do you know when you turn on the furnace on for the first time after a summer of A/C there is that smell? Well, that the smell that's coming from the engine in at times coming into the cabin.

This morning a got an oil change and flush done but no change.

All the fluids are topped off... any ideas?

I also noted that the Oil Pressure gauge is at the mid-way mark but when I drive it goes to the 3/4 mark... is too high? could these be related?

#5 ·
The smell was there before the oil change and still present after the oil change.

I doesn't smell like burning oil but rather melting rubber. It's stronger on the drivers of the engine than the passenger side.

I'm sure that it could be from a leak, I dunno... back to the dealer.

#8 · (Edited)
any belts slipping? I'd check all of your hoses to see if they came loose and are rubbing the exhaust manifold at all.

I doubt this would be the case, but oil passage restriction could be causing the high pressure and the rotating parts could be burning up the oil?? Far fetched probably.

Any sludge problems noticed when the oil change was performed?

#10 ·
"rusty" looking oil is new oil.......

9-7X's havent had issuses with slugeing and i doubt they will if you come close to changing your oil on time. this is GM NOT saab.

it would be very tough for a hose to come loose and rub on the exhaust manifold.....

honestly i wouldnt worry about it PeterJ

#11 ·
GM has had its fair share of sludge problems, but no recalls (debatable if they should have). Their rotating components have much looser tolerances, which requires more sludge to build up before it becomes and issue.

As long as you keep with synthetic and the smell doesn't come back you're most likely fine.

As for the new oil color...it should be a golden/brass color, if it looks like rust (orange/red) then you might have an issue.

#12 ·
really when?..... cause there has been nothing about slugged up engines. they just dont run hot enuff. the reason saabs have the issuse is because the sump sits low in the pan and less than an inch from that is the cat.

you dont need synthetic saab/gm doesnt recpomment it for the 9-7 only in the aero trim where it needs full syn 5w-30

he doesnt have a issue with the oil he said he had the oil change a little while ago so its likely not "new colored" and darker easly confused for rusty. the oil time you would ever have to worry is when its milky

like i said if the smell isnt there anymore i wouldnt worry about it PeterJ theres probly nothing wrong with the truck but if you want get it checked out by all means get it checked out

#13 ·
Nahh.... the smell is gone so I'm not concerned. you have been on the money thus far so I'll trust you.... until you send me down a deep dark alley with Richard Simmons wearing only a tank top and a banana hammock.. Then I'm coming to Athol to get you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.