Saab Link Forums banner

2005 Saab 9-7x problem

17K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  getzunlimited 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have encountered 2 issues with my 2005 Saab 9-7x @ 36k miles and I'm hoping someone can help isolate the issues.

1. When driving and/or accelerating between 25mph and 35mph I feel a hesitation/hop/skip. The sound is similar to what you would hear if you were driving over the reflectors in between the street/freeway lanes. There is a little bit of jerking feel. It sounds transmission related as if it shifting between gears. When I accelerate through this to say 45+ mph, this disappears.

2. Coincidentally, in the same 25 - 35mph range I hear a faint whirling/whistling sound coming from the rear of the SUV. I hear that this may be be related to limited slip differentials which may require replacement of the entire differential case and components.... does this sound right?

Your insight and help would be greatly appreciated.

#7 ·
Thank you for this input! I'm actually a member on Saab central but didn't see the forum on the main page... I guess the webmaster has not created that link.

the AWD issue makes sense... I did not that the front 2 tires are different than the back 2 tires. I'll make sure they have the same PSI... personally I don't understand how tire tread would be a culprit in this... It seems like such a lame excuse by the dealers....

#9 ·
If the tires are a differant size it will cause the problem you are describing. Even running with the spare will do this. The sensors for the all time all wheel drive will go into fits if the wheels are turning differant speeds. And this will happen with differant size tires.

#13 ·
we have been replaceing the diffs in 9-7's. and the tires all have to be matching sizes and brands. i measured the out side diamiter of two differnt tires same size but different brands both new even tho one was 1/16 of an inch bigger it effected the driveablity of the vehical buy ten fold. ALL ways put new tires same size and brand i have PERSONALY been burnt on a car were i spent hours on the phone with TAC and trying to diag it but they kept telling me that the tire brand doesnt matter (they almost made me replace the transfer case!) but in the end it was the tires that was the route of the problem

also is the skipping of the rear end when you take a corner? like you have a locked rear diff? there has been a bulliten put out about replaceing the diff fluid with a type of stuff and then driving the car in figure 8's X8 to work the fuild into the clutch packs. and yes i get dizzy doing it

#14 · (Edited)
Ok here are my tires

Rear: Sumitomo HTR Sport H/P 255/55R18 109H
Front: Dunlop 5000 255/55R18 104H

The size seems to be identical but not sure what the 109 and 104 mean.

The front tires are pretty worn but the rear ones look brand new. I would probably give my front tires about 3 months before I have to replace them. So why wait 3 months? Big O Tires has these in stock and I'm going in on Sat morning to get this taken care of... $306 down the tubes... bleah.

Would the 109 vs. 104 make a difference with the AWD?

I still have a standing appointment with another dealership 110 mi north of me, if the problem still exists.

#15 · (Edited)
Ok here are my tires

Rear: Sumitomo HTR Sport H/P 255/55R18 109H
Front: Dunlop 5000 255/55R18 104H

The size seems to be identical but not sure what the 109 and 104 mean.

The front tires are pretty worn and Big O Tires seems to have the Sumitomo's in stock. I would probably give my front tires about 3 months before I have to replace them. I'm going in on Sat morning to get this taken care of... $306 down the tubes... bleah.

Would the 109 vs. 104 make a difference with the AWD?
theres your problem!!!! yes its HUGE!!! like i said the 9-7 i worked on had diffrent brands on the rear compared to the front they were both newer tires you NEEEEEDD to have matching brands the smallest diffrence between the two means the world to the ACT (active transfer case) cause it accualy thinks your wheels are slipping so it cuts the trottle and the vehical jerks.TRUST ME i know its probly what you dont want to hear but you need to buy too more tires

even a 1/16 of an inch differance between the two tires out side diameter can mess it up

#19 ·
No problem! I also own a 2003 Saab 9-3 vector. I purchased it with 29K miles as a CPO. It now has 72K miles It has been problem filled from Day 1... mostly electrical issues or rattles rather mechanical. I'm very thankful for the 100K warranty. I think I have worked out all the major bugs and it's running well now. I've resigned to the fact that the rattles will not be solved and I just turn up the music a little louder to drown out the rattles.

I don't understand why the steering wheel controls for the stereo/paddle shifters keep going out... even after the dealer corrects it. The anti pinch has been annoying. Oh well... that's for another forum lol

#20 ·
AWD jerking after replacing flat tire

So I have a friend that just had a flat tire on the left front tire. 1 Week after replacing her tire her car started doing the same thing. Are you saying that she should replace the right front tire also, or the other 3 tires?

#21 ·
Thank you gentlemen and ladies, you have affirmed what our transmission guy has said. I also own a 05 saab 9-7x awd. now the only problem is where to get service or parts in southern indiana. I live between louisville ky, and cincinnati ohio, and indianapolis indiana. parts needed are front cow, headlight assembly, and trim for black vehicle. any suggestions you can e-mail me at getzunlimited@gmail.com or robertgetz@madisonprecision.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.