I'm new to 9-5's - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2014, 05:58 PM   #1
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I'm new to 9-5's

I bought my first 9-5 today for super cheap. What am I looking for in terms of reliability? Its an 00-02 5 speed with all original parts. 203k on the clock.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2014, 11:18 PM   #2
Elder

Mine is almost 290k with solid service record and still going strong, it's all about how they were treated.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:37 AM   #3

The people I got it from seem like they took really great care of it and when I took it for a spin it seemed pretty solid. It needs a little work here and there though but thats pretty inevitable when your in New England.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:43 AM   #4
Avid TSL User

You might wanna drop the oil pan to check for sludge but if its lasted this long it's probably ok

Where in New England are you? There's a lot of us on here
Old 12-20-2014, 11:49 PM   #5

I'm in MA and the oil pan was the first thing I was going to drop. I have been reading a lot about that on the forums. Seems like that is a huge issue on these cars. When I bring it home later today I'm going to give it another look over. I spent a great amount of time at the owners house looking for fluid leaks defects and all that good stuff mechanically. I was listeing for misfires and exhaust leaks. I checked suspension and drove it around seeing if the gears were smooth and all. My main consern was the car running terribly and the check engine light being on. I lucked out, it passed inspection last month and all the electricals worked accept the screen for the ac controls but that doesn't bother me.
Old 12-21-2014, 03:43 AM   #6
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
230k on my 02 and it's running strong. I agree 100% with Drew, it's all about how they were treated.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:08 PM   #7

You can tell alot by seeing how much varnish is under and on the inside of valve cover . Gives you an idea . If its nasty pull the pan if its nice you shold be ok
Old 12-21-2014, 04:54 PM   #8

I brought the car home today. Drove smooth. A little shake in the steering wheel going 75-80mph. Wind screen is cracked at the bottom, theres a little rattle coming from somwhere near the glove compartment (nothing compared to the rattle in my 9000 though) and the exhaust has a little leak. Other than that the car is pretty good. No check engine light (drive back to my house was less than 70 miles), turbo spools up nice, cruise control works. The heater control display is dim in some areas, speakers will definetly be replaced and I think an in-dash head unit will be swapped in. I havent made up my mind yet on that. I have a few plans but I think I will keep it simple because I want this to be a daily driver while I restore my 9000 (transmission went boom so why not go t5 now). I have been looking at a couple transmission jobs on the forums and I havent really seen one that wasn't short. Is it really that big of a pain doing such a job on the 95's? I wouldn't have thought it would be more terrifying than the NG 900 or 9000's.
Old 12-21-2014, 05:08 PM   #9

I need to give it a full detail but other than that I'm happy with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20141221_162322_1419210187429.jpg (397.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141221_162308_1419210225562.jpg (403.2 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141221_162345_1419210251718.jpg (385.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20141221_162252_1419210283954.jpg (396.8 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-23-2014, 11:38 PM   #10

Okay I've been reading a lot on this forum and one thing that makes me nervouse is the Tech II scanner. Can I only use a Tech II in order to program certain things in the car or can I get away with a snap on scan tool?
Old 12-24-2014, 06:29 AM   #11
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Looks like a nice car. All the issues you mention sound common for all older cars in general: exhaust leaks, rattles, wheels out of balance. Nothing major.

You do need a TechII for some things, but what exactly are you trying to program?
Old 12-27-2014, 10:23 AM   #12

I have a TD04 from a 95 and I want to swap it. I'm reading that I would need a tech II t marry parts and I would assume you would need to marry the ECU from a TD04 ECU to the car. Unless a tune of the stock ECU is better?
Old 12-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #13
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Fortunately for you, Mike D lives in MA. He has a Tech II and is a good tuner. Guy is a one stop shop ESPECIALLY for 9-5s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:54 PM   #14

I have spoken to mike earlier this year. Seems like a cool dude. If he lives in my area I should treat him to some brew while doing tech II stuff. I hope he still has the same number, I was originally going to see if he could sort out wiring for T5 on my 9K but why not get a little extra easy power from the 95 for a daily driver. So back to the oil pan/ sludge thing. If I find a lot of sludge in the oil pan, would it be wise to change the pcv system as well as cleaning the screen of the oil pan.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #15

So I have a little concern. I just got done doing the oil pan cleaning thing. I put everything back together nice and tight, I put oil in the car, then I started the car and I got the sweet sound of caution light and my oil light is on. I let the car run for a bit but it did not go away. I checked for leaks and I did not see any.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:39 AM   #16
Elder

Did you replace the o-ring on the feeder tube? There's only 2 places to leak internally for the pump pickup, at that o-ring and the area where the pan meets the block at the pump.

Sounds like you should pull it back apart before running it more.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 03-21-2015 at 04:52 AM.
Old 03-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #17

I did not replace the o-ring at the tube. I am going to have to do that Monday night. Since I'm doing all this extra stuff I might just pop in my td04 since my exhaust is going to be off again.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:09 AM   #18

OK so I took the pan off again and when I did, that pipe that goes across the block fell out with it. That worries me a little since I ran the car for a bit after the first time I cleaned the pan. Moving forward, I did not need to replace any o-rings and thank the Saab gods that the weird oil feed pipe didn't get damaged. While on the hunt for the locktite 518 or permatex 51817 I came up negative in my area which was a real bummer so I'm going to reuse the oil pan gasket I purchased for the initial job (I'm not a fan of reusing gaskets due to past experiences) and I'm praying to the Saab gods that I'll be fine especially since Carlisle is right around the corner.
Old 03-25-2015, 06:23 AM   #19
Elder

Order off Amazon or similar site, its worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS929k View Post
OK so I took the pan off again and when I did, that pipe that goes across the block fell out with it. That worries me a little since I ran the car for a bit after the first time I cleaned the pan. Moving forward, I did not need to replace any o-rings and thank the Saab gods that the weird oil feed pipe didn't get damaged. While on the hunt for the locktite 518 or permatex 51817 I came up negative in my area which was a real bummer so I'm going to reuse the oil pan gasket I purchased for the initial job (I'm not a fan of reusing gaskets due to past experiences) and I'm praying to the Saab gods that I'll be fine especially since Carlisle is right around the corner.
94 C900 Vert - Sold
94 325i Vert
Old 04-11-2015, 04:12 PM   #20

I bought a double din in-dash receiver for my car the other day and it states "OEM wired remote" for steering control buttons. So when I do more research it basically says I would be able to use my steering wheel controls. Now my question is, do I still need a steering wheel control module or do I just need to find that specific wire for the steering control?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in