The 9-5 Hirsch Story (a story from my teen years) - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
SAABeginner

The 9-5 Hirsch Story (a story from my teen years)

So,
i have a bit of an interesting Story to tell, it begins one evening after finishing cadet training in a inner suburbs Melbourne carpark when i was about 12 or 13.

my old man had called me up after school to tell me he had a surprise for me when he picked me up from cadets, said it was the car he had been working on for the last few months to get everything sorted and the car had finally been given permission to be driven on the streets and he would be picking me up in it tonight from cadets.
"awesome" is all i thought, because the last time he said that, he brought home a Viggen.

I wasn't sure what to expect when i finished cadets, but i walked out and saw a silver, 9-5 sitting in the carpark with a bodykit and what looked like a set of race wheels on it. dad was standing next to it, looking as mafia as ever, with a massive smile on his face, "what do you think" he said beaming at me.
"this looks fucking awesome" - that line cost me a smack across the back of the head.
he brought a spare change of clothes for me to change into, he wouldn't let me get in the car muddy, infact he was so damn pedantic about it, he even brought plastic garbage bags for me to put my dirty clothes in!!!
so i got changed, put all my dirty clothes into the garbage bags, and then he put them in the boot.

it may sound strange but by this age i had been exposed to more limited edition SAABs then most people will ever be exposed to in their lifetime, and in doing so i was well aquainted with the engine bay, interior, underside of the car, suspension, brakes, you name it, i knew every detail.
he told me to stand at the back of the car, so i walked around to the boot, and he turned the key, as soon as it fired i ran around to the drivers door and said "this sounds amazing" remembering not to swear in fear of another clipping.

i was in awe of the vehicle, i started noticing everything about it, it was lower, the tail pipes were different, it had bigger brakes, the wheels, under the bonnet i noticed the turbo was bigger.
then came the one thing i was itching for, the drive.
i jumped in the passenger seat and buckled up as quick as i could while dad pulled down the bonnet.

he calmly drove out of the car park and turned down a side road, as we cruised down the side road the first thing i noticed was the bumps, the suspension was so much firmer than that of any other Aero I'd ever been in. next was the brakes, even from the passenger seat i could feel their bite.
after driving down the side road, we pulled out into traffic and cruised up to the speed limit.... the lights ahead were red, and there was a brand new blueprint blue Tickford T3 TS50, a 250kw 5.6L v8 grumbled under the bonnet.
the old man wound down his window and looked at the bloke and said "wanna have a run?" the bloke laughed us off but agreed.
dad flicked the shifter across into manual mode, and we waited for the lights to go green, stalling the car up on the converter to get the turbo into boost.
lights went green and the next thing i knew the 9-5 was screaming to the rev limiter in an abundance of tyre smoke, all i could think was WOW.

unfortunately we lost that race, however at the next set of lights we asked the guy driving the TS50 if he was going onto the freeway, he replied that he was, and the old man said he would sit up his bumper, then when the TS50 accelerated onto the freeway, so to would he.
again, we were laughed off.
but, doing just as they agreed, the old man (who at the time really wasn't old at all) was tucked right into the rear bumper of the TS50, the driver of the TS nailed the throttle, and the next thing i knew, i was slingshotted into the back of the passenger seat as the SAAB tried change the earths rotation.
then something else happened.... WE FLEW PAST THE TS50!!!! I won't say exactly how fast the Hirsch galloped up to but i will say this, wow.
after the freeway match was done, we pulled up along side the TS50 and he asked we pulled over and had a chat, so the old man did, letting the Hirsch idle and cool off.

after the chat, we hit some curvey roads, dad showed off the handling and brakes, and then, we did one last big sprint down a nice open straight.
all i can say is, what a car, and what a memory.

i have other memories of this car, as dad ended up driving it quite a few times. here is a photo of the car, it's a press photo, I cannot for the life of me find the photos i took of it, i have moved house 5 times in that period, so I'm hoping they are stowed away in storage somewhere safe.

Adios, hope you enjoyed the read, i was a little excited as i was typing it and my writing skills aren't too good to begin with.
Cheers
T

Last edited by XCSEDAN; 12-06-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2014, 09:38 PM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

Very cool! Hope you find those pics!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in