Newest Member of the Family - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2014, 11:48 AM   #1
Elder

Newest Member of the Family

Black 2000 9-5 Aero 5 spd. 190K. Owned, driven, and maintained by a SAAB Master Tech for 10 years. All records. In the northeast for just 2 years. Flawless interior. Exterior has a few dings, easily removed by a PDR guy. Everything works. Bi Xenon headlight upgrade. Included original roof rack and Thule fairing. Love it! Major flaw that I could see was that it had the later emblems and center caps instead of the SAAB SCANIA ones. In the process of remedying that.

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero

Last edited by Ninety5Aero; 10-01-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 12:25 PM   #2
TSLMember

Gorgeous! Congratulations. More pictures!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #3
Elder

More pics!

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero

Old 10-01-2014, 03:50 PM   #4
Elder

emblems as the only flaw?

thats awesome. i wish more used cars were this great
Old 10-01-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
Elder

LOL! I exaggerated. There are a few door dings and a bit of cracked paint on the top of the front bumper from the New Mexico sun. Oh, and a wear spot on the center console armrest.

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 10-01-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Ok do tell about the bi-xenon upgrade. Is this a custom deal, or some rate factory option? I thought xenon a started coming on the facelift models.

I prefer the later emblems, I like seeing the Griffen large!
Old 10-01-2014, 08:21 PM   #7
Elder

Yeah, I'm kind of a stickler for having the right stuff on the car. Especially because this is the only year 9-5 Aero with the SAAB Scania emblems. As far as the lights go, I could post some pics. It's not factory but it is quality stuff. 6000K. They work great! I'm not thrilled about the mod he did to the glass though.

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 10-02-2014, 04:20 AM   #8
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Looks great Ray! Will be curious to hear your feedback once you put some miles on being a long time 9k guy. My 9k was great for what it was, but I really love my 9-5!

This car looks like a great score. Well done.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:04 AM   #9
SAAB Road Master

Stellar find! My first 9-5 was a 2001 Aero, black on tan. I loved that car. Sadly it is long gone but I kept the Klingons and still have them in storage to remember it by! First thing I did was get rid of those orange reflectors in the corner lights. Get the smoked side repeaters while you are at it, black out the grill, lip spoiler on the boot, tint, lower it, etc....I'm probably making you have a heart attack bro!

All jokes aside, congrats and enjoy it my friend!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #10
Elder

I do have the smoked side repeaters ready to go in, it is tinted, and I do want to put a spoiler on it but I'm not sure which one yet. Got a pic? It has to be MY correct. That's just the way I roll. LOL!

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 10-02-2014, 06:39 AM   #11

That is a great 9-5, you are going to love it.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #12
Elder

Nice find.

How long do y'all figure the timing chain will last on a well maintained (frequent/synthetic oil changes) B23r?

I was thinking about starting a thread on the topic. My daily driver right now (100+ miles/day) is a 180k mile Viggen. On that car, someone had the exhaust cam off by one tooth, took forever to figure out why it missed at idle, and it was very very clean under the valve cover, BUT, the tensioner is pretty extended.

How do high mile engines fail in that regard? I guess when the timing components get too worn it'll jump teeth and wreck the engine? Or would it slap around and make noise first? Or?
Old 10-02-2014, 07:25 AM   #13
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Nice looking car! Now all it needs is a decor panel

Drew, as far as timing stuff. I have seen them completely fail 220k+ and no sooner. Its the guides that wear through typically.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #14
SAAB Road Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety5Aero View Post
I do have the smoked side repeaters ready to go in, it is tinted, and I do want to put a spoiler on it but I'm not sure which one yet. Got a pic? It has to be MY correct. That's just the way I roll. LOL!
Ah I see the tint on the rear particularly now. Looks like about 35% on the rear? I think I missed it before because mine is 20% and illegal

As far as the spoiler goes, search for saab 9-5 bridge or saab 9-5 pedestal spoiler. That is the MY-specific one I suppose. Hirsch also made a boot lip spoiler, but it's pricey and maybe hard to find. It was also a bit too wide for my tastes. I went with a $20 ebay one, and absolutely love it!

|
Old 10-02-2014, 02:33 PM   #15

Go buy that decor panel now! I entertained buying it just to have even though I have one already installed.

I would like to see more about the headlight lenses. I'm guessing they are glass with the flutes sanded out?
Old 10-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
Nice find.

How long do y'all figure the timing chain will last on a well maintained (frequent/synthetic oil changes) B23r?

I was thinking about starting a thread on the topic. My daily driver right now (100+ miles/day) is a 180k mile Viggen. On that car, someone had the exhaust cam off by one tooth, took forever to figure out why it missed at idle, and it was very very clean under the valve cover, BUT, the tensioner is pretty extended.

How do high mile engines fail in that regard? I guess when the timing components get too worn it'll jump teeth and wreck the engine? Or would it slap around and make noise first? Or?

Drew, tensioner on my aero with 252k was a little under 22 mm, recal make spec is 15!! I had some serious grooves on the guides as well, but all was quiet and smooth still. I replaced the whole kit and balance shaft bushings too with a tool I had made in a machine shop (still haven't posted about that yet). Let me know if you need to borrow it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (381.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 10-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
Go buy that decor panel now! I entertained buying it just to have even though I have one already installed.

I would like to see more about the headlight lenses. I'm guessing they are glass with the flutes sanded out?
Still thinking about that- if only "just to have it."

The lenses are the stock ones with the flutes ground out somehow. It looks kind of funky to be honest. Works well though. How would it work without the grind? How would E-code work?

2000 Viggen 'vert
2000 9-5 Aero
1998 9000 CSE Turbo
1994 9000 Aero
Old 10-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #18
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninety5Aero View Post
Still thinking about that- if only "just to have it."

The lenses are the stock ones with the flutes ground out somehow. It looks kind of funky to be honest. Works well though. How would it work without the grind? How would E-code work?
I also have some custom clear headlight lenses I was going to use for my own projector set up, but I may be abandoning it. Package deal haha.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in