cleaning of a smokers car - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Saaboy Send a message via MSN to Saaboy
cleaning of a smokers car

Hi all, I traveled to another city to look at an 07 9-5 aero. Unfortunately I didn't ask if it was a non-smoker car but it is, the owner has smokes cigarettes in it since '07 and I hate the smell. The car has beige leather interior with perforated seats.

Do smoke-cleaning services really work? Approximately how much do they cost and what should I be searching for? The owner has expressed interest in deducting the cost from the sale price and ill be making an offer in 12-14 hours, if I do. It is a one-owner car with 35k miles so I think its worth the trouble...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 05:35 AM   #2
Elder

save your money on the smoke cleaning services. try this method first as it worked for me a couple of times.
1. thoroughly vacuum car
1. Soak all carpets, seats and headliner with Meguires Odor Remover. Then run a dehumidifier in the car with all windows up and doors closed until dry.
2. soak all the carpets, seats and headliner with Febreeze Heavy Duty Auto and repeat dehumidifier run.
3. get some vent cleaner/refresher spray and use it after replacing all cabin filters
4. use leather cleaner and conditioner

this method has worked for me numerous times and my fiance is terribly allergic to cigarette smoke and after this procedure she was fine in the cars.

Last edited by nowhereman; 10-02-2014 at 04:31 AM. Reason: forgot the headliner
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-01-2014, 07:11 AM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Also, replace cabin air filter.

Old 10-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #4
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Yep, you can also rent a rug doctor and use it on the carpet. This should remove a good amount of smell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuHuSPG View Post
Also, replace cabin air filter.
covered in step 3. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Yep, you can also rent a rug doctor and use it on the carpet. This should remove a good amount of smell.
those are great to use first and then do the other method after.

that should cover all smells. only thing with rug doctor is you are now up to the price of the removal services.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:23 PM   #6
Elder

What about the headliner?
Old 10-02-2014, 04:30 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
What about the headliner?
i meant to cover that. lol.

spray it down too.

and you wont believe how nasty the filter and water from the dehumidifier will be, even in a non-smokers car.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:28 AM   #8
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
covered in step 3. lol
details
Old 10-02-2014, 06:51 AM   #9
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
i meant to cover that. lol.

spray it down too.

and you wont believe how nasty the filter and water from the dehumidifier will be, even in a non-smokers car.
You really can spray the headliner too? I have bad luck with headliners, try not to even touch them lol.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
You really can spray the headliner too? I have bad luck with headliners, try not to even touch them lol.
i had a 1998 Volvo S70 that totally reaked of smoke (got it for a deal and body and engine were mint). Like it hurt my eyes to drive it home.

i did what i listed above and you couldnt tell anyone ever smoked in the car after. it was amazing. i even coated the trunk.

the stuff that came out of the dehumidifier filter and water basin was like toxic waste.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #11
Elder

Make sure you get this one inspected. Or do you have a lawyer on retainer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in