What is this part where does it go? - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2014, 02:50 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

What is this part where does it go?

As the title says, what is this part and where does it go?

I am rebuilding a 9-5 aero engine (2000) and can't remember this piece! It could very well be for another project as well, we have a lot going on in the shop right now.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (394.5 KB, 37 views)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 03:04 PM   #2
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
That's fun. Does it bolt in above a CV axle maybe? Any part numbers on it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #3
Elder

That piece is sandwiched in between two of the torx bolts that hold the end plate on, oil pump side. Positioned on the back near the alternator I think, next to one of the idler pulleys, near the serpentine belt but not touching it obviously. It'll lineup with the right holes, but also a pair of wrong ones too if I'm remembering correctly lol

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 08-19-2014 at 04:32 PM.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew in Houston View Post
That piece is sandwiched in between two of the torx bolts that hold the end plate on, oil pump side. Positioned on the back near the alternator I think, next to one of the idler pulleys, near the serpentine belt but not touching it obviously. It'll lineup with the right holes, but also a pair of wrong ones too if I'm remembering correctly lol
Yes! I had thought, but it does line up with multiple sets of holes so I was confused. Know what the purpose is? To keep a belt in place during installation or something?
Old 09-29-2014, 09:55 PM   #5
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tboy View Post
Yes! I had thought, but it does line up with multiple sets of holes so I was confused. Know what the purpose is? To keep a belt in place during installation or something?
Can't sleep, reviewing old posts here... I've had the same question. It seems like it's a guide almost to help keep things in place if there's ever extra slack. That tensioner moves a surprising amount, thinking it might have something to do with helping to keep the belt on during extreme moment maybe? That's just a guess....it sure seems like an extra piece, dumb engineers, putting all those extra pieces on there lol
Old 09-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #6

I ended up leaving it off on my build. With your comments, I wonder if it is designed to prevent the tensioner from "over traveling" if there is no belt installed.

I use a 1/2" breaker bar to pull on the tensioner for belt changes. I've noticed if I slack the tensioner all the way my bar hits the cowl. Not a huge deal but it could be difficult to grab and close if somehow I took my breaker bar out with not belt on. I'd have to use something really short and still it might hit the firewall.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #7
Elder

I betcha you're right and that's the answer right there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in