9-5 appreciation thread - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2014, 11:08 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

9-5 appreciation thread

Well folks I'm a few weeks into being a first time 9-5 owner and it sure is great. It was quite an arduous journey that took months of traveling all around New England, battling evil scammers, and many eye burning hours in front of the screen checking every craigslist known to man. I experienced empathy for owners as I low balled them on cars they had just put the value of the car into, and would have to nearly do so over again to make them up to snuff. I felt deep, stabbing, pangs in my heart as I witnessed a girl on the verge of a tear filled breakdown as I drove away in the car she had taken off work to drive 3 hours to come see. It was petty much like the movie planes, trains, and automobiles, except I never slept in a beer soaked bed next to a fat guy and wake up to find him spooning me. I did, however, ride a bus next to a guy who had definitely peed his pants at least once without changing them. At least once. And the kicker is that the car I got was one of the first cars I had looked at on my search and the guy simply wouldn't come down in price till he was sitting on the car for over three months.

All in all, these first few weeks in my 2002 9-5 wagon with manual trans have more than proved all this time was worth it. Cosmetically the car needs plenty of TLC both inside and out, but i bought it for 2k flat with only 105k miles and it drives like a dream. About 1.5k miles on it already and the only problems that have cropped up are an occasional issue with a wheel speed sensor causing the ABS to sometimes kick on at low speed, gentle stopping, and the first signs of a failing coolant temp sensor, which is like 15 dollars or something.

As a reformed new gen 900 driver, this car makes me feel like a better person overall. It really is better in every way than my previous saabs.

So lets all take a minute to appreciate the things that make these cars so great.

So smooth. Cruising, steering, acceleration, driving over bumpy roads, etc. Everything is just so much smoother than the NG.

Fuel Economy! Mike D stage 1 tune and I get an honest 33 mpg on the highway if I take it easy. And after another few bits of maintenance i wont be surprised to see that go even higher. Even if I speed a bit and pass people ill easily stay over 30 mpg.

Even being a wagon I feel less twisting in the corners than my NG with a sway bar upgrade.

Cruise Control that actually works, along with every other electronic bit working, something i certainly couldnt say about my NG, and ive been told by others also that this isnt an anomaly, and that those kinds of things in 9-5s usually stand the test of time.

The car is QUIET! Its too quiet really, I need a 3 inch exhaust sooner than later.

What a roomy glovebox, eh? and its cooled to boot. The center console is also much roomier and the sliding arm rest is great. Also those little webbed pouches next to the front seats are an awesome idea. I havent used them yet really, but I know I will find a use for them eventually.

The little compartments in the sides of the trunk are great, I've been putting my spare quarts of oil and stuff in there because two of them fit perfectly, and then I dont have to worry about them tipping over and leaking into the carpet, cause those things dont really seal up very tight. Not that I've even had to top off the oil yet anyway. I just checked it a couple days ago, and over over 1K since I changed the oil its still right where it should be. I also found the cargo netting still new in the bag.

The cargo securing track thing whatever it is called when you peel up that plastic strip in the trunk with surely come in handy some day; I didnt even know they had that.

15 dollar ball joints without having to replace the whole lower control arm. nuff' said.

3 way selectors for the seat heaters is nice.

Coming stock with the rack on the top is nice, but I wish it had the cross bars standard also. I was still able to strap my canoe on just laying some random pieces of wood across though. 2002 entry level volvos, for example, dont even come with any of it, but i think the XC models have everything standard.

It doesn't look half bad either, for a wagon.

Edit: The ignition turns and the key slides in and out much smoother than any NG ive had

Now a lot of these things may seem not very important, cooled glove box for example, but when you consider the whole package of having a practical wagon that is also turbo charged and sporty, good in the snow, good MPG, etc etc all that other "luxury" stuff is much appreciated icing on the cake. When taking into account the affordability of these cars I really can see firsthand that it was true whenever anyone talked about these being the best value in daily drivers on the market today.

I know I am forgetting a lot of things I've noticed, and I'm sure there's more I haven't even noticed as well so if you have anything you love about your 9-5 to add please share!

Last edited by Snowcat77; 08-18-2014 at 07:08 AM. Reason: added to the list
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

It's a very smooth car. I bought one 2 or 3 months ago and it replaced a long line of 9000s and c900s as my past daily's. I still can't get over how nice so many of the little things are.
I think it might be worth my time and money to get a basic tune, though, if your mileage is that good. I'm sitting somewhere between 20-23 most of the time, but I also have a somewhat heavy foot.
02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:11 AM   #3
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcat77 View Post
Well folks I'm a few weeks into being a first time 9-5 owner and it sure is great. It was quite an arduous journey that took months of traveling all around New England, battling evil scammers, and many eye burning hours in front of the screen checking every craigslist known to man. I experienced empathy for owners as I low balled them on cars they had just put the value of the car into, and would have to nearly do so over again to make them up to snuff. I felt deep, stabbing, pangs in my heart as I witnessed a girl on the verge of a tear filled breakdown as I drove away in the car she had taken off work to drive 3 hours to come see. It was petty much like the movie planes, trains, and automobiles, except I never slept in a beer soaked bed next to a fat guy and wake up to find him spooning me. I did, however, ride a bus next to a guy who had definitely peed his pants at least once without changing them. At least once. And the kicker is that the car I got was one of the first cars I had looked at on my search and the guy simply wouldn't come down in price till he was sitting on the car for over three months.

All in all, these first few weeks in my 2002 9-5 wagon with manual trans have more than proved all this time was worth it. Cosmetically the car needs plenty of TLC both inside and out, but i bought it for 2k flat with only 105k miles and it drives like a dream. About 1.5k miles on it already and the only problems that have cropped up are an occasional issue with a wheel speed sensor causing the ABS to sometimes kick on at low speed, gentle stopping, and the first signs of a failing coolant temp sensor, which is like 15 dollars or something.

As a reformed new gen 900 driver, this car makes me feel like a better person overall. It really is better in every way than my previous saabs.

So lets all take a minute to appreciate the things that make these cars so great.

So smooth. Cruising, steering, acceleration, driving over bumpy roads, etc. Everything is just so much smoother than the NG.

Fuel Economy! Mike D stage 1 tune and I get an honest 33 mpg on the highway if I take it easy. And after another few bits of maintenance i wont be surprised to see that go even higher. Even if I speed a bit and pass people ill easily stay over 30 mpg.

Even being a wagon I feel less twisting in the corners than my NG with a sway bar upgrade.

Cruise Control that actually works, along with every other electronic bit working, something i certainly couldnt say about my NG, and ive been told by others also that this isnt an anomaly, and that those kinds of things in 9-5s usually stand the test of time.

The car is QUIET! Its too quiet really, I need a 3 inch exhaust sooner than later.

What a roomy glovebox, eh? and its cooled to boot. The center console is also much roomier and the sliding arm rest is great. Also those little webbed pouches next to the front seats are an awesome idea. I havent used them yet really, but I know I will find a use for them eventually.

The little compartments in the sides of the trunk are great, I've been putting my spare quarts of oil and stuff in there because two of them fit perfectly, and then I dont have to worry about them tipping over and leaking into the carpet, cause those things dont really seal up very tight. Not that I've even had to top off the oil yet anyway. I just checked it a couple days ago, and over over 1K since I changed the oil its still right where it should be. I also found the cargo netting still new in the bag.

The cargo securing track thing whatever it is called when you peel up that plastic strip in the trunk with surely come in handy some day; I didnt even know they had that.

15 dollar ball joints without having to replace the whole lower control arm. nuff' said.

3 way selectors for the seat heaters is nice.

Coming stock with the rack on the top is nice, but I wish it had the cross bars standard also. I was still able to strap my canoe on just laying some random pieces of wood across though. 2002 entry level volvos, for example, dont even come with any of it, but i think the XC models have everything standard.

It doesn't look half bad either, for a wagon.

Edit: The ignition turns and the key slides in and out much smoother than any NG ive had

Now a lot of these things may seem not very important, cooled glove box for example, but when you consider the whole package of having a practical wagon that is also turbo charged and sporty, good in the snow, good MPG, etc etc all that other "luxury" stuff is much appreciated icing on the cake. When taking into account the affordability of these cars I really can see firsthand that it was true whenever anyone talked about these being the best value in daily drivers on the market today.

I know I am forgetting a lot of things I've noticed, and I'm sure there's more I haven't even noticed as well so if you have anything you love about your 9-5 to add please share!
pics or it didn't happen!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #4
TSLMember

I agree, I love my 2 9-3's, still miss the 3rd and my old 70's era 99's and 90 but my 9-5 is in a whole different class.

Yea, I've got the "bad" V6 but the totally linear power delivery makes you understand and tolerate the cost/hassle of the timing belt and the failure prone oil coolers.

The 9-3 was a marketing mistake by GM/SAAB, the 9-5 truly lives up to or surpasses the expectation for it's genre and era.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:02 AM   #5
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Yep. 9-5s kick major ass in the DD department. For long family trips, my dad usually makes me pick him up in my 14 year old 9-5 instead of taking any of their cars. Maybe he is just cheap, but he calls it the "people mover."

Also dude, I have a 1999 9-5 for parts right now with a tan interior if you need anything.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:52 AM   #6
Avid TSL User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
Yep. 9-5s kick major ass in the DD department. For long family trips, my dad usually makes me pick him up in my 14 year old 9-5 instead of taking any of their cars. Maybe he is just cheap, but he calls it the "people mover."

Also dude, I have a 1999 9-5 for parts right now with a tan interior if you need anything.
I know mike told me, i really want to swap in a gray or black interior so ill hold off on that stuff, also your door cards arent the leather ones i think he said?

do you still have that junky aero steering wheel you said you had?
Old 08-20-2014, 10:08 AM   #7
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I should still have that wheel somewhere.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:19 PM   #8
SAABeginner

hey guys I just want to say first time 9-5 aero owner here.And I agree this thing I got a few months ago was a recon didn't know until owner told me. 105k on it not bad for an 01 and solid as a rock car i got the abs remaned and replace oil pump and crank pully seals ..no oil leaks at all now all in all an every day cruiser for me leaving my impala and crv sit lol..fun car to drive
Old 09-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #9
Avid TSL User

So last weekend I dropped the oil pan to find out it had already been cleaned! Ive gotten all the service history the dealer had, which was mostly just a couple warranty items, and from another shop the spare key had a key chain from and they only saw the car once for a bit of stuff, so there must be another shop that did (it seems at this point) a bunch more work on this car than I expected. This one only keeps getting better.
Old 09-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #10
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Good surprises are always awesome. How are the exhaust manifold studs?

Quote:
Old 09-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
Avid TSL User

im missing one. every 5 speed wagon i looked at anywhere near my price range was missing at least 1, one or two were missing two of them. you can hear it whistling when your floor it.

i have the original owner's (besides the toyota dealer he traded it into and the who bought it at auction and sold it to me im the second owner) address so I'm gonna snail mail him a letter to see if he will tell me whatever other shop worked on the car. He doesnt strike me as a DIYer since i found a receipt from a shop in canada for 10 dollars for a used vac line hehe.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:13 PM   #12
SAABeginner

Old 03-05-2015, 06:22 PM   #13
TSLMember

Snowcat77 I can’t agree more. A Saab 9-5 is arguably the best deal in used cars right now, and probably for the next 5 years or so. They aren’t perfect, but the resale value is so low, it’s a no brainer considering performance potential, safety, and unique features.

Last year I bought my wife a white 2003 linear wagon with 130k miles for $2300, private party in Raleigh Durum NC. The head gasket went out about 5 months later. But I got the car so cheap it didn't bother me too much. When I did the head gasket I put a TD04 in, made a 3” down pipe for it, and put aero brakes on the front. MikeD upgraded the ECU for me.

She loves it. About once a month she is telling me how she blew the doors off someone. It shines on the interstate, overtaking acceleration is impressive. I like the 9-5 wagons because you don’t see that many on the road and after a few upgrades the performance is great.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:40 AM   #14
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I do find it odd that some B2X5 engines lose the head gasket so early. They should last 200k+.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in