Buying new rotors, need advice. - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
TSLMember

Buying new rotors, need advice.

It's new rotor time! I only know of Eeuroparts, FCP and GS for buying parts but I have no idea what's comparable to the Aero rotors I've got on there. (Nor do I know how thick they are..) Myle is clearly the cheapest but I'm looking for something more performance oriented. (Not a track car, just stop light racer..) Drilled would be preferable.

I found these too but they seem awfully cheap.. Saab 9 5 2001 Brake Kits - Drilled & Slotted Rotors

'01 Aero Wagon.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 10:55 AM   #2

I never known any rotor, simple or fancied ( useless slots or foolish drilled holes)

That didn't stop a car.

Prolly not worth much brain power mate.

Skip on over to autozone and get what you need
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-21-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
TSLMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by B202nut-2.0 View Post
I never known any rotor, simple or fancied ( useless slots or foolish drilled holes)

That didn't stop a car.

Prolly not worth much brain power mate.

Skip on over to autozone and get what you need
G-Thanks? So vented rotors are foolish.. I'm just curious as to what others have used. Typically discussion is encouraged on forums, and being new to SAAB (and wrenching in general) I like asking questions.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:32 AM   #4

Well maybe not foolish, but not necessary.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #5
Elder

There is a difference between vented / cross-drilled / slotted. Your 9-5 has vented rotors, the slotted ones meant for a Viggen will fit if you have Aero caliper brackets (they are slightly larger diameter than regular 9-5 / 9-3 rotors).

Stock stuff is fine - do NOT get the autozone house brand stuff tho. I've seen so many of those with enough runout right out of the box that you can feel the pulsation in the pedal.

Zimmerman / Brembo / ATE are all good brands if you can find them for a good price.

Quote:
You still don't understand. This is like trying to explain calculus to a clam.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #6

Car dealers are in the business to sell cars, anything that catches a consumers eyes and helps sell cars, like fancy drilled and slotted rotors,.

will they stop you any better than a generic set, I guess you should give it a go and see for yourself.

My money says you won't feel not even the slightest difference

But if the long term elders here say spend your money on the fancy stuff then you aught better listen.

Me, I just know better.

My money says the care had no clue what type of rotors you run as long as there is something there for the pads to grab

Autozone stuff usually has a warranty, prolly lifetime...

Not promoting AZ but the point is it prolly spent matter what you replace with as long as decent for stopping

Gudday

Last edited by B202nut-2.0; 07-21-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:09 PM   #7
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

rockauto.com

Centric rotors, done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewP View Post
There is a difference between vented / cross-drilled / slotted. Your 9-5 has vented rotors, the slotted ones meant for a Viggen will fit if you have Aero caliper brackets (they are slightly larger diameter than regular 9-5 / 9-3 rotors).

Stock stuff is fine - do NOT get the autozone house brand stuff tho. I've seen so many of those with enough runout right out of the box that you can feel the pulsation in the pedal.

Zimmerman / Brembo / ATE are all good brands if you can find them for a good price.
True get decent rotors from a good manufacturer

Quote:
Car dealers are in the business to sell cars, anything that catches a consumers eyes and helps sell cars, like fancy drilled and slotted rotors,.

will they stop you any better than a generic set, I guess you should give it a go and see for yourself.

But if the long term elders here say spend your money on the fancy stuff then you aught better listen.

Me, I just know better.

My money says the care had no clue what type of rotors you run as long as there is something there for the pads to grab

Autozone stuff usually has a warranty, prolly lifetime...

Not promoting AZ but the point is it prolly spent matter what you replace with as long as decent for stopping

Gudday
Vented rotors are stock and do make a difference, get them ( slotted and drilled are nto wirht it unless you are going for a look

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabeh View Post
rockauto.com

Centric rotors, done!
Agreed Centric are the bomb and cheap as well
Old 07-21-2014, 06:57 PM   #9
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Centric Premium rotors with "C-Tek" coating on the non-pad surfaces from rockauto:

Everything shipped was cheaper than fronts locally.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:54 AM   #10

Ditto on Centric, or Brembo (if you can snag a coupon). ATE is OEM quality too. I've had variable results with Zimmerman.

And re: vented rotors. Ignore any advice that tells you "all rotors are the same" and listen to DrewP on this. Vented rotors are preferable because they don't overheat as fast and the heat dissipates quicker. It's a nice bit of safety margin for a loaded car, which wagons often are.

Some of the 9-5 Aero Wagons had vented rear rotors from the factory for this exact reason. Some of us with modded cars have changed over to the vented rotors because of the increased stopping power.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:08 AM   #11

Quote:

Me, I just know better.

You may know better for a car that uses technology straight from the 1970s, but you're a bit clueless about what the OP's car needs. Vented rotors aren't "fancy stuff" -- they're OEM fitment for the OP's car because of its weight and power, and yes, there's a difference. That's why they're on the car in the first place.

Slotted rotors can actually improve braking performance, especially in the wet, by exposing new pad surface quicker, but it wears the pads down faster. It's a trade off that's likely not necessary on most street cars, but offers improved looks and performance.

Drilled rotors are mainly for looks, unless it's a really expensive ceramic compound racing rotor. Skip.

That said...I'd stick with the OEM blank style vented rotors like the ones in Saabeh's picture....

Last edited by mike saunders; 07-22-2014 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Toned down for peacefulness
Old 07-22-2014, 06:16 AM   #12
Elder

Send a message via AIM to soccerrplyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike saunders View Post
I don't want this to become a pissing match, but for all the reasons I mentioned above, you're completely clueless about what the OP's car needs.

There needs to be some kind of a disclaimer on anything you post that doesn't involve C900s, similar to the warning labels on cigarettes. You need to advise people who read those posts that the info contained within may not be accurate and may cause wasted time, squandered money, injury, loss of limbs, and death.
This is probably why saabcentral banned him...must have irritated Scott

Old 07-22-2014, 06:24 AM   #13

Lol....
Old 07-22-2014, 06:31 AM   #14
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

I think there is a communication breakdown between the words "vented" and "slotted/drilled."

Quote:
Old 07-22-2014, 06:33 AM   #15
TSLMember

Thanks for the advice Drew, jssaab, and sabbeh! The Centric C-Tek and E-Coating is a pretty interesting method for keeping the rust off the non-pad portions. Went with the C-Tek's, dirt cheap too! Full set front and rear for $115 shipped. Not bad.

Edit* just saw the above few posts. I appreciate the added clarification.

Last edited by Slabonator; 07-22-2014 at 06:40 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:40 AM   #16

Quote:
I think there is a communication breakdown between the words "vented" and "slotted/drilled."

Yeah, that's why I went back and edited with a cooler head. I need to approach those posts like I'm talking to an elderly neighbor about why her computer can't do The Google without an internet connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabonator View Post
Thanks for the advice Drew, jssaab, and sabbeh! The Centric C-Tek and E-Coating is a pretty interesting method for keeping the rust off the non-pad portions. Went with the C-Tek's, dirt cheap too! Full set front and rear for $115 shipped. Not bad.
Can't go wrong with those. Great value for the price. Stoptech (noted maker of aftermarket big brake kits) uses Centric rotors for their builds.

(Just make sure you specifically ordered the size for your Aero wagon, which might have different fitment in the rear than that year's Aero sedan...)
Old 07-22-2014, 09:11 AM   #17

Quote:
You may know better for a car that uses technology straight from the 1970s, but you're a bit clueless about what the OP's car needs. Vented rotors aren't "fancy stuff" -- they're OEM fitment for the OP's car because of its weight and power, and yes, there's a difference. That's why they're on the car in the first place.

Slotted rotors can actually improve braking performance, especially in the wet, by exposing new pad surface quicker, but it wears the pads down faster. It's a trade off that's likely not necessary on most street cars, but offers improved looks and performance.

Drilled rotors are mainly for looks, unless it's a really expensive ceramic compound racing rotor. Skip.

That said...I'd stick with the OEM blank style vented rotors like the ones in Saabeh's picture....

All that to say you would not fit the ones you claim are made for the car?

Is that I talk funny, because it basically sounds like you don't agree with me to agree with me??!!!???

Or is it only rite if someone else says it?

Cause honestly you said the same thing I did ..

As mentioned above, my point was the Op doesn't need what came on the car, as well Saabeh pointed out and you went to Cali and back to reassure.

Last edited by B202nut-2.0; 07-22-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:22 AM   #18

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerrplyr View Post
This is probably why saabcentral banned him...must have irritated Scott
I'm no, this is a prime example.

I said the OP didn't need fancy rotors and aftermarket set would do just done

I get all these long engineering responses trying to down play my suggestion only to agree a generic set of rotors would do just fine

You all can go fuk yourselves I didn't say anything wrong

That's why hey ban me, cause I take kindly to the gang banging

Specially when you only repeat what I said

Now fuk off!

How you like the apples????
Old 07-22-2014, 09:27 AM   #19

Quote:
Centric Premium rotors with "C-Tek" coating on the non-pad surfaces from rockauto:

Everything shipped was cheaper than fronts locally.
Thank you for speaking the saablink language to your little robots.

Exactly my point. Why spend OEM parts money when you can get the same quality in an aftermarket part

At least you aren't like the rest of these fuk licks, you clearly understood my point.

Thanks for being rational.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:56 AM   #20

Quote:

Anytime I go to a parts store they ask for make model and year of the car.

If it's a larger chain store, they usually flip The computer screen around so the consumer can get a visual.

The list of choices are usually OEM and several after market choices.

It is always explained that aftermarket parts were designed to operate with equal quality of the OEM.

It's usually the cost difference that make people choose aftermarket...

saab is nothing special, an it is totally uneseccary to put OEM rotors on when aftermarket would do just fine.

It's a Saab, and a GM one at that, do you really thing there is a specific part for te car?

Hell, I bet it cross references with any other GM car in its class

As mentioned earlier, crosses drilled and or slotted rotors on street daily drivers are useless waste of money.

Go ask your dad....

If your on a track that's a different story and even then may not be necessary.

Stop drinking the kool aide boys!!!!

Last edited by B202nut-2.0; 07-22-2014 at 10:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in