9Kwrecker's first 9-5 - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-17-2014, 10:44 AM  
Flirting With TSL Addiction

9Kwrecker's first 9-5

I'm starting a new thread to cover the progress of my recently acquired 2000 9-5 Wagon.

Previously mentioned here. This thread is mostly for my own purposes to keep track of what I end up doing with it.

Things it needs:
Fix the valve cover gasket leak (there's a new gasket in the trunk, just needs installed)
Charge up the A/C, it works, but just isn't cold enough for my tastes
Install included tune kit mentioned in link above
Fix the two little spots of rust starting on each side in the usual spot between rear door and fender

Things I want, in order of likelihood:
Window tint
Roof bars/bike racks
17" 5 Spoke Aero's
Mild Exhaust
Slight drop
^ I have no ideas/knowledge about 9-5s in this department, so input on the suspension would be welcome
Rear spoiler, I know they look awesome, but this is prob highly unlikely

This car's mission statement is to be my reliable DD/winter car to keep my Miata safe in the garage in the salty months and handle the occasional road trip. No Holsets, no 18s, not dropping it to the ground, etc. If I want that I can drive my bro's 04 wagon.

And early pictures of it, before it gets detailed:

02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT

Last edited by 9Kwrecker; 06-17-2014 at 10:50 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2014, 11:21 AM  
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Window tint, shop around. My dood does it for $190 on wagons. Mine with 35% on fronts, 20% on rears:

PS: That combo is illegal.

Roof bars: Try to find some OEM crossover racks. They attach to the factory roof rails.
Wheels: Craigslist
Drop: If you chose to lower it, you need springs made for the wagon. Sedan springs will not hold up the rear. When you lower it, you will have added camber in the rear and will need to shim the wheel bearings.
Rear spoiler: 3 pedestal Saab ones are easier to find than the bridge style.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-17-2014, 12:00 PM  

I know a guy that'll hook me up on the tint, and he just bought a plotter for cutting the tint with a computer so I'm interested to see what that's like.
That tint looks great but def darker than what Ohio allows. Just curious, does that car have a black/dark gray interior? Mine has gray cloth so I'm thinking it won't take much to make it look dark inside.

And I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that the wagons need different rear springs.
02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT

Old 06-17-2014, 12:02 PM  
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Tan interior.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
The only reason it took all day to install was because we couldn't keep our dicks out of each others mouths.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:12 PM  

Then that is some dark tint. Here's my bro's with light gray interior and the front windows DOWN at a local C&C meet last month:

02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 06-17-2014, 12:54 PM  

This is the 3 pedestal spoiler, I take it? I don't mind the look of that, the bridge spoiler is of course cooler but I like this one as well. Does anybody know if there's a place I can get one in the states? Or does anybody have any experience with buying one from this seller?

Saab 9 5 Estate Wagon Roof Spoiler | eBay
02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 06-26-2014, 11:44 AM  

Tint is happening today. I mentioned I had a friend that would help me out with this. He owns a detail & accessories shop and just recently bought a plotter to cut the tint via computer. The vendor is in today to train the employees on the machine, but somehow they ended up with no jobs scheduled and needed a car to work with. So I got a call asking if I wanted my car tinted, but it had to be today.

I'll post pics after I pick up the car and wash it.
02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 06-30-2014, 08:44 AM  

Tint is done, potato quality pics included:

I ended up doing 50% on the front windows and 35% on everything behind that. I think it looks alright, very similar to the level of tint you see on modern SUVs.

I also got a chance to clean off all the paint transfer/road grit/bugs and clay the whole car and wax it this weekend.
02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 06-30-2014, 02:33 PM  
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Nice. Maybe your friend should start selling precut tint on eBay. I see them for civics all the time, not sure about saabs.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:54 PM  

Anybody have any experience with 5 lug Super Aero's on a 9-5? I'm looking to offload some other wheels and parts for older c900/c9000 I have collecting dust to try to get the set that's for sale on here right now. If anybody can link me to a pic of a 9-5 wagon with them on there that would be super helpful.

If not, here's a *kinda crappy* profile shot of my car just in case anybody is good with photoshop and bored:

02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 07-14-2014, 07:34 AM  
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

That looks factory, like a Subaru wagon.

Quote:
Old 07-14-2014, 07:52 AM  

I'm pretty happy with the level of tint, it's dark enough that you can't see in at night, but also light enough that it doesn't look like a drug dealer's car.

New problem after I got back in the car after leaving it home for a week, no air out the dash vents. I can get air from defrost and the floor vents, nothing from the dash. No difference in left/right side that I can tell. Anybody run into this before? My research is showing that its usually one side that quits working or starts blowing hot when the blend door/motor goes bad.
02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 07-15-2014, 10:13 AM  

Got bored on lunch today and used MS Paint to do a super shitty chop to see what SA's would look like. Thoughts?

02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 07-15-2014, 11:21 AM  
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

Old body 9-5's deserve Klingons or nothing IMO.

Quote:

Last edited by Saabeh; 07-15-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:35 AM  

They do look good on a red wagon.
There's not a set of those for sale in my home state, however. Plus the larger size would necessitate purchasing tires in addition to the wheels.

I'm torn about how the super aero's look on there, they look a little too small more than anything.
02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Old 07-15-2014, 11:36 AM  
Wagon Shaggin'
Site Moderator

17" wheels seem to be a perfect size for 9-5s, especially wagons.

Quote:
Old 07-16-2014, 01:08 PM  

the super aero's just look so dated(well they are) on that car.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:38 PM  

Not a fan of the super aeros. I'm not even a huge Klingon fan.

Just my .02$
Old 07-16-2014, 03:41 PM  
Elder

Send a message via AIM to Cark
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
the super aero's just look so dated(well they are) on that car.
well put. Most all 17's look good on 9-5's, and lots of them are easy enough to come by for not a lot of $$$
Old 07-16-2014, 06:20 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cark View Post
well put. Most all 17's look good on 9-5's, and lots of them are easy enough to come by for not a lot of $$$
I would love to pick up the rk's you're selling, but I may be trying to move real soon.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
02 Aero Wagon
07 9-3

94 Miata
05 Legacy GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in