Work shift linkage/coupler - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2014, 09:11 AM   #1
Avid TSL User

Work shift linkage/coupler

Has anyone found a solid remedy for a worn shift linkage? My shifter has an awful rattle under any acceleration. Nick at gs told me it's not really repairable, there may be off chance that it can be repeened? I'd rather not buy a new linkage/coupler. Can the bushings be replaced? I have an extra coupler I was thinking about sending to 42 draft designs to see if they could make bushings or tighten this thing up. Any ideas?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 04:53 PM   #2
Avid TSL User

Anyone? I realigned the shifter yesterday, but I can feel it mis-aligning already -_-
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:10 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

What part do you think is worn? The portion under hood of the ball in the console? The ball in the console might be tightened up by a GS short shifter. The part under hood looks pretty robust to me, all the joints are linear bushings, or ball sockets. Best I can think of there is remove and replace with a lower mileage unit.

Old 06-12-2014, 09:18 PM   #4
Avid TSL User

GS short shifter is installed. I think the linkage under the hood is culprit. I aligned it Sunday because of the rattle and the near impossible task to get it into reverse. The alignment was smooth for about a day, no rattle and easy transition to reverse. Tuesday it started to feel 'tight.' I had an extremely difficult time getting into reverse today.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:36 PM   #5

What year 9-5? You should search for difficulty engaging reverse. There may be larger problems with your trans if it is 99-02.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #6
Avid TSL User

2000. Sounds like it could very well be a internal transmission issue -_-
Old 06-13-2014, 09:45 PM   #7
Avid TSL User

I'm going to flush/fill the trans fluid with mtf0063 and replace the rear motor mount first. Both of which I'm sure are still original. Fingers crossed that helps me out.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:33 AM   #8

I have a 2000 aero I bought with an internal trans issue. Of course all the linkages are sloppy now due to the force people have used to try and get it into gear over the years. I am swapping mine out for a newer trans (2006 I think) that has the updates saab rolled in around 2002.

One thing my trans would do was not go into reverse at all sitting still. But if it were rolling backwards, even gently it would slip right in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in