Balance shaft bushing replacement - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Balance shaft bushing replacement

As some might know, bought a 2000 aero sedan mt. It has 250k on the b235, and ran great. I needed to replace the trans as it wouldn't shift into reverse, and that got me changing the timing cover (po had a water pump failure that put a hole in it, the gooped it up and it leaked). So I went ahead and pulled the motor to do that job and said screw it, let's rebuild!!

Motor looks fabulous on the inside (all synthetic it's whole life). Machinist says everything looks great. Plan is to hone, rebuild the head and install new bearings and go.

For insurance, I'd like to replace balance shaft bushings! Anybody ever done this? Anybody have the saab tool? Machinist is scratching his head. I'm sure he could turn down an install tool but that is just going to keep costing me his time.

Called the local dealer (now just service) they say we don't do any rebuilds, and don't have the tool.

Yes if possible id like to keep the balance shafts in. I'm old, my wife will primarily drive this and I already have a civic with poly filled motor mounts so not interested in the buzz.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
Elder

Using the Saab tool, you have to punch out the freeze-plug looking end caps. I borrowed one a few years ago, they work well but you have to replace those caps. The machine shops I've dealt with have had their own insertion tool, so I've never bought one myself but they do exist. I like balance shafts too...think most people forget that there are bearings in there.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-10-2014, 12:14 AM   #3

I use a standard cam bearing installer. the one you get for v8 applications. the smallest adapter fits the saab balance shaft bearing.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #4

Thanks guys. Thanks Harvey. I haven't talked to my machinist yet to see if he figured anything out but when I dropped the motor off he was hesitant.

He is smart so hopefully he figures out Harvey's suggestion. I know he can machine a press tool as well but that's just more money!!

I also have wondered if I might leave them out and have the internals balanced. I'll see what he says when I call him Monday morning.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:23 AM   #5
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
For what it's worth, mine are "out" and you can't notice.
I know some people like them in, and with them being chain driven, there's not much of a reliability issue like belt-driven engines, but mine were disconnected long-ago, and I don't miss them at all.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:08 AM   #6
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
For what it's worth, mine are "out" and you can't notice.
I know some people like them in, and with them being chain driven, there's not much of a reliability issue like belt-driven engines, but mine were disconnected long-ago, and I don't miss them at all.
Can't notice? Those stupid GM and Saab powertrain Engineers, always just adding extra parts for no reason lol... Keep in mind 'ole Craig here can't feel the driveability difference between Trionic 5 and Trionic 7 cars either.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:21 AM   #7
Elder

Send a message via ICQ to g96nt Send a message via AIM to g96nt Send a message via MSN to g96nt Send a message via Yahoo to g96nt
Drew, what was the last b235 powered saab that you drove in with them removed?
Let's compare actual experience, here.

(this is where engineers crumble; actual experience over theoretical differences)

I'll tell you what I *do* notice;
Faster revving, less parasitic loss.. nothing else.
If anything, changing to a Sachs clutch made a bigger change to "feeling" than removing the BS chain.

Last edited by g96nt; 05-12-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #8
Elder

"This is where Engineers crumble" lol, as if Engineers didn't design and build the entire thing in the first place.... Wait, quick somebody should contact GM and tell them Craig says they don't need balance shafts because he doesn't "notice" not having them there. They could save millions on their 4 cylinder platforms lol.

Unlike you, I don't talk about things that I don't know about Craig. I've been calibrating and wrenching-on equipment for more than 20 years, professionally and as a hobby.

You just can't feel driveability issues it seems.

And to answer your question since you want to make it personal, the last time I was in a B235 with no balance shafts was the time I decided it was too much vibration for my tastes in a daily driver. Whether you craig "can't notice" or not doesn't matter, because I certainly CAN notice. Oh yeah, and what about all that engineering hookey like long term shock and vibe testing? Ah, nevermind all that engineering nonsense.

Oh, and don't forget to let me know when you're ready to convert your daily driver T7 car to a super awesome blow through maf setup. Start a super awesome thread about your conversion and I'll send you a couple hundred to help fund it....then you'll see that you have no idea how to make it run right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g96nt View Post
Drew, what was the last b235 powered saab that you drove in with them removed?
Let's compare actual experience, here.

(this is where engineers crumble; actual experience over theoretical differences)

I'll tell you what I *do* notice;
Faster revving, less parasitic loss.. nothing else.
If anything, changing to a Sachs clutch made a bigger change to "feeling" than removing the BS chain.

Last edited by Drew in Houston; 05-12-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
SAABeginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey's Autohaus View Post
I use a standard cam bearing installer. the one you get for v8 applications. the smallest adapter fits the saab balance shaft bearing.
I know it's an old thread - but what specific cam installer do you use? Would a chevy work?
Old 06-30-2015, 08:13 PM   #10

I ended up making my own tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in