9-5 Halogen to Xenon headlights - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2014, 08:17 AM   #1
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

9-5 Halogen to Xenon headlights

Has anyone on here done this.....i cannot find information on this anywhere.

I have seen the opposite working flawlessly however. SAAB 9-5 Xenon/ Halogen interchangeability FYI | theSAABguy

The plugs are identical...everything that is xenon specific is built into the headlight assembly itself.

I am thinking a simple Tech II edit and it should be plug and play.

Reason I ask is because I picked up a set of xenon's for reasonable money and thought about the conversion. I won't have any of the leveling bullshit to deal with(reason I didn't like them) and I will have a nice clean stock look over the morimoto conversion I am in the middle of.

I will end up finding this out by the end of the week for anyone else interested in doing this.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 09:24 AM   #2
Flirting With TSL Addiction

I did this on my 03 a while back with no issues at all, It was plug and play minus the auto leveling. I ran them for about a year before I sold the setup and the only issue I ever had was the high beam stopped working on one of the lights, but after my experience with the last two sets of xenons, I'm convinced that it was the headlights and nothing to do with the swap. The little relay that attaches to the plunger is pretty easily disconnected and ive had the issue with my current 9-5, a little solder and it was all set and like new.

So yes, you should be able to swap everything over with out issue. I didn't have anything done with the tech 2 on mine, so you shouldn't have to, but if you wanted the daytime running turned off to save the bulbs thats always a good idea.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #3

P.S. how do the lenses look on your halogens? Any interest in parting with them?

Old 04-23-2014, 10:01 AM   #4

Thanks for the Input. No one has documented this swap anywhere on the internet.

The lenses look fantastic on my halogens. They only have 102k with very little sandblast.

I will probably be parting with the complete headlights if this swap goes smooth and I am happy with the results. However Its a possibility breaking them up and selling the morimoto kit separate.

Look for a FS thread next week.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
Elder

should be plug and play.

and the autoleveling isnt too big a deal as long as you get the set to the same alignment first.

but yeah plug and play and the xenons are a huge plus. not to mention the bulbs are now cheap (comparitively) and can be had at autozone etc for about $100 per.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #6

Great. What do you mean by get the set to the same alignment first ?

Yeah I've had xenon's on my previous 9-5s and do miss them.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:18 PM   #7

To make the cut off even on both sides.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:43 PM   #8

Ok, the way it was worded confused me. Thanks for clearing up Jon.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #9
Elder

sorry that is what i meant.

the cut off on my parents 02 9-5 aero was no where to be found because some dofus pointed them towards the sky. highbeams useless no line on road etc.

i aligned them with my garage wall and a screw driver and now they are beautiful.

i think you sit about 5 feet back from the wall and make sure the cut off on low beams is about 2 inches below the height of the lights and going straight ahead.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:11 PM   #10

The instructions are out there somewhere, but it was something to the effect if parking 25 ft from the wall, measuring the marks in the head light lens, then adjusting it so it's 2 inches below that mark.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #11

So just to clear this up if anyone is looking to swap oem Halogens to oem xenons. The headlights are a direct swap. I didn't need a tech II to program anything also the headlights retain the auto leveling feature.

As stated above the headlights should be aimed or checked to be sure there within proper specs.

When I was searching for this I could not find a legit answer anywhere on this. I heard stories from swapping lots of wires, even an abs sensor, to simple tech 2 programming needed.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:33 PM   #12
Elder

Shutters get frozen in the xenons... That is the only differnevce between high and low beams... The shutters are easy to free and lube with the whole assy out on a bench.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:05 AM   #13

Oh how I missed my xenon's and projectors.....it's hard driving anything else without them at night, they make a huge difference.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:21 PM   #14
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
So the auto levelers are built into the headlight assembly? I thought they were attached to the suspension?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #15
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by srp View Post
So the auto levelers are built into the headlight assembly? I thought they were attached to the suspension?
on my parents 02 aero the levelers are built into the assembly.

same on my 08 9-3 (which has the adaptive turn around corner lights weee)

i think its just the connection to make them work that requires all the fancy wiring etc.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:45 PM   #16

The headlights will auto level themselves without these so called "sensors" or special wiring located elsewhere on the car. Maybe these sensor's are a myth.... I have no clue.

Everyone I talked to about this had no idea how they worked.

Last edited by bergie; 04-24-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:47 PM   #17
Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
The headlights will auto level themselves without these so called "sensors" located elsewhere on the car.
honestly that is what i thought as well. but i see all sorts of conflicting info and since i never did it myself i was lacking and mostly making educated guesses.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #18

There is soooooooooo much conflicting info out there you are right.....These factory xenon headlights are a direct plug and play application.....everything specific to them are built right into the buckets.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:53 PM   #19
srp
Elder

Send a message via AIM to srp
So without the other "sensors" do the headlights visibly auto level when you turn them on?

There are definitely sensors located through out the car that attach to suspension pieces.
There are plenty of posts about issues with them and backorder of parts.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #20

Yes, the headlights will visibly auto level themselves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in