By pass coolant valve, BPCV - The Saab Link Forums

Go Back   The Saab Link Forums > Saab 9-5 '98-'09 Forum > General 9-5 Posts and Information

General 9-5 Posts and Information Please post general topics pertaining to the 9-5.

SaabLink.net is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #1
SAABeginner

Cool By pass coolant valve, BPCV

UR on vacation for away from home , suddenly you see on yr dash board, "low coolant" - Do not get panic, do the fallowing: 1) check yr temp. gauge, (a) if it's say 9 o'clock,, (on it's summer time) turn the knob(s) all the way to the left side, AC, color blue. If its winter turn the knob(s) all the way to yr right, heat red (b) continue driven to the next rest stop, (keep yr eyes on temp gauge, 9 o'clock (d) after stopping idle for 4 min. cool down the Turbo. (c) check on the ground under the driver side for leaks (e) 99% of the time is the BPCV that is leaking. (after engine cool down, add coolant, turn On the engine for 3min. check level,& gradually add if needed (full mark) (2) if the gauge is above 9 o'clock, turn the knob(s) as mention above. (a1) pull over to the shoulder ASP, to a safety space, if possible not around corner, hills, etc. (note: if the temp. gauge is just above the 9 o'clock, let the engine idle for 4 min. before turning off. (b2) if the temp gauge is away above, after pulling over to a safety space , turn off the engine, (do not idle)
Please turn ON the HAZARD lights, any time yr on the shoulder of any Hway.
Carefully check for any leaks, if it's night & U can not see any leak, after the engine cool down add coolant,(full mark) turn ON engine for 3 min. check the coolant level, add (gradually)if needed (note: if U did turn the knob(s), & add coolant it should not leak any more, if the original cause was the BPCV . if it continue , then is either a clamp , rubber hose, or the radiator
In that case call a Tow Truck.
The BPCV, will only leak when U turn the knob(s) to mix Hot & Cold
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2014, 03:17 PM   #2

Knobs?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-30-2014, 03:26 PM   #3
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

Y U post this poop?

Old 03-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
SAABeginner

to: SEIKS1, Vermont
With all the respect, UR driving on the Hway. for away from Home, yr dash board read:: low coolant, What will U do?
considering the sign on the Hway shoulder " no sleeping in the car "
It's getting dark
Yr cell is not receiving signal
Please tell me..
Old 03-30-2014, 04:42 PM   #5
Live, eat, and sleep by TSL

What you suggest does not stop any leaks. Coolant flows continually to the heater core and your heat is controlled by a flap in the heater box, independent of the bypass valve.
Old 03-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
SAABeginner

Any one that have a Saab, 2000 up, will have that BPCV, leak, just remember that, just in case it leave U stranded. Around 100.K mls
Old 03-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #7
SAABeginner

After doing a search, I found out that the 9-5 heater box doesn't have a door to cut off the air flow through the heater core like the 9-3's it uses the valve to PWN the coolant valve, witch control the valve.
Old 03-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #8
SAABeginner

To: MIKE SAUNDERS "elder" Boston MA
I was wandering what will U do?
Old 03-30-2014, 07:04 PM   #9
Elder

Send a message via AIM to VWSAABVT
Lito what country are you originally from?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
stg 5 99 9-3 coupe
96 900se sold
Old 03-30-2014, 07:08 PM   #10
SAABeginner

Costa Rica
Old 03-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by lito View Post
To: MIKE SAUNDERS "elder" Boston MA
I was wandering what will U do?
I've already done this.

You're new, and while your willingness to help is appreciated, you need to understand that if you're going to post things to help people, you should make sure what you post is accurate.

-- There are only knobs on the 2006+ 9-5 climate controls. 99-05 have buttons and a different type of automatic climate control module.

-- The heater bypass valve is in ALL 9-5s from 1999-2009, not just 2000 and up. (EDIT: last model year is '08 )

-- If the heater bypass valve is leaking from a physical separation in the upper cylindrical part of the valve, "turning the knob" will have no effect on stopping the leak.

Last edited by mike saunders; 03-30-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:34 PM   #12
SAABeginner

Thanks.
Remember I said: if the Temp. gauge read 9 o'clock, when U receive the warning "low coolant",keep on driven with yr eyes on the Temp. gauge, with the knob(s) to the (R-L) any big leak will make the Temp gauge go above 9, That's Y I said : above 9 o'clock pull over ASP & check for leaking. Just in case yr for away from home & U have a leak before calling the Tow truck try that. remember U drive a Saab, & it's not easy to get parts. Ask any one that own a saab for a long time, about the Coolant Valve.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:05 PM   #13
Elder

And add lacquer thinner to your gas to improve mileage too?
Old 03-30-2014, 09:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lito View Post
Thanks.
Remember I said: if the Temp. gauge read 9 o'clock, when U receive the warning "low coolant",keep on driven with yr eyes on the Temp. gauge, with the knob(s) to the (R-L) any big leak will make the Temp gauge go above 9, That's Y I said : above 9 o'clock pull over ASP & check for leaking. Just in case yr for away from home & U have a leak before calling the Tow truck try that. remember U drive a Saab, & it's not easy to get parts. Ask any one that own a saab for a long time, about the Coolant Valve.
How old are you Lito?

The reason I ask is because I've been driving Saabs since 1988. My family has been driving them since 1984. Before that, my dad drove Volvos and Borgwards, so we're kinda up on the obscure foreign car thing.

A couple of points: The coolant valve is extremely easy to find, as it's sold at at least seven or eight online retailers (including Amazon). It's also available at most GM dealers since the same part was used in several Cadillac and Saturn models.

Your advice is well meant, and that's a plus. Big thumbs up for good intentions!

Last edited by mike saunders; 03-30-2014 at 09:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:04 PM   #15
SAABeginner

I clearly state: if UR away from home, & the low coolant warning sign came ON. remember yr on the Hway, please tell me how R U going to, get the valve,? if it's bad, can U replace it in the dark,? believe me @ broad day light is hell to get to ; please forgive me I was just trying to get U out of situation, where U cod still continue , . yr vacation, the money that U save for Tow Truck , repair & Hotel, will make the trip more enjoyable . ,, By the way call any store, that U assume have the valve, & ask them, What will B causing my coolant level to B going down, I have a saab 9-5?. Again forgive me. no bad intention by my part to any saab owner
Old 03-30-2014, 10:13 PM   #16

Lito, thanks.

Not sure how useful this is, if at all, especially since if the valve is leaking more than just a slight trickle, your "turn the knob" trick won't work at all.

Your advice works if there's a small trickle of a leak enough to drop the coolant level below the sensor. Your advice is useless if the valve fails without warning -- which can, and does, happen. It's happened to me in two different cars, both ways.

But thanks for posting, and for your willingness to help other Saabers!
Old 03-30-2014, 10:31 PM   #17
SAABeginner

The valve is a 3 way, 2 going in (hot & cold) & 1 coming out, my advise is when U turn the Knob all the way to the Right or left, then only hot coolant or cold coolant will go thru the valve ,. in other words the valve will only leaks when U R mixing hot & cold, I do not know the year of yr car, mine is a 06, & as soon as the coolant drop below the full mark, it notified me. ( not any more ) Use my advise only when nothing else work. I will always listen & respect any reply, that's how I"m always able to fixed my car.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #18
SAABeginner

Note: the valve have a point where the hot & cold coolant meat, ( internally) with used (around 100K) miles ,the piston tend to B stock in 0ne position if it's stock on low , when U turn the knob(s) to mix, Hot & Cold coolant ( build up pressure ) become to much for the small space & the only way out for some of the coolant is thru the top of the valve. , . that;s where the leaks come from. I said turn to either right or left, the coolant will go thru, If is winter turn to red summer turn to blue.
Old 03-31-2014, 01:16 AM   #19
SAABeginner

Correction: The 9-5, coolant valve have a " Diaphragm " not a piston has I mention, sorry for the mix up, I was helping out with some other stuff . So the diaphragm have a spring that tend to get stuck or weak, & if it can not able to open or shut , the diaphragm, to allow the amount of coolant, pressure build up, & some of the coolant escape from the top of the valve. sorry!
Old 03-31-2014, 06:24 AM   #20

To end any confusion of anyone actually reading this all the way through:

Just pre-emptively change the CBV is your car has close to 100,000 miles and then again every 50-60K miles. They're like $20. Or get a Euro coolant hose assembly and remove it entirely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Saab Link Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Vehicle Info.
Enter your vehicle information (year, model, mods)
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in